DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
sth7344 is on a distinguished road
Default 4X4 Doesnt work

Alittle history first I traded my 95 F250 strait across for a 99 Ram sport with the 5.9 Ive only had it for a few months now and have been doing little things here and there to fix it up.

Today i decided to go play in the mud after our nice rain last night. Went out and hit the trail and shifted into 4H and the light didnt come on in the dash. Thought to my self no big deal maybe the light dont work. So i gunned it to see if the front wheels would spin and nothing. Put it in reverse and rolled back a few feet then back forward again. Still nothing. Then i shifted into 4L and low works but the front wheels still wont engage and the light wont come on in the dash. Any ideas?

How does the 4wd system work on these trucks? I understand the basics of having a transfer case that sends power via driveshaft to your front axel but what engages the hubs? Vacuum? Whats this acutator with the 2 lines that come from it? What sends the signal to the light in the dash?
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
dread0124 is on a distinguished road

Im having the same issue on my 96 Ram except i recently lost my driver side front tire on the freeway doing 65 due to a loose wheel spacer ( make sure there tight boys ) and tried to pull a buddy out a puddle today and noticed my 4wd doesnt work ( dont have a light but i can hear it engage in the T-Case..Les Shwad said when the fixed the rotor from the tire incident there were no other issues so idk ( driveline does spin btw )
Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
zachcroft is on a distinguished road

i have a 96 with the same problem. that thing on the front axle is some sort of pressure switch or valve. the two vacuum line do not work at the same time. ive noticed that the black one works in 2wd and the red one works in "4wd". i also notice that when im in 4wd, the font drive shaft turns. im thinkin that that valve or whatever it may be is bad. im looking into it and ill keep you posted
Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:23
Dodge Boy13 is on a distinguished road

i know in my 98 its a vacuum system on the passengers side of the front axle (mines the dana 44) there is a shift fork that is over a collar and when engaged the fork sucks the collar over the two shafts which locks it into 4 wheel there are some sensors there that may be shot unless there is a leak in the lines somewhere idk
Old 09-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Is hunting wednecks

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I'd definitely check the vacuum actuator in the front axle. Even if the TFC is working it's only sending power to something that isn't working. If you can get 4 jack stands under it you'll see the front shaft spin if the TFC is locking in.

If there's no vacuum I had a truck from a different manufacturer and went to the pet store and bought a valve for a fish tank. Ran a line under the dash and back up front. I put it in 4wd and opened the valve and could feel it kick in. Once I knew it was a vacuum issue I tracked it down to the valve on the trans and fixed it.

Dodge has a habit of running those lines past the exhaust so I'd check the 3 lines (Red, Green, and black I think) for burns or cracks.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Purple
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Doubletapdeluxe is on a distinguished road

Just fixed this on my dodge, easy fix on mine! I had one of the steel lines plugged up! The light works just as a simple switch, when the rod moves to the left in the housing it makes contact with the switch to light up the dash! My vacuum actuator was the original so it was shot too! I replaced the actuator switch ( local junk yard 10 bucks) and then pulled the vacuum hoses right before the steel lines to the transfer case , and viola I found my second problem! Also if you wanna do away with the vacuum system it is very easy, look up posi-locker and for about a hundred and fifty dollars you can get a positive push pull cable and never have to worry about the vacuum problem again!