DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 DODGE RAM 1500 SLT 2WD
Trim Level: SLT LONG BED
Color: SILVER (AT THE MOMENT)
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
AROD is on a distinguished road
Cool rear diff. fluid is silvery

Hey ya'll,

I have a 94 Ram 1500 Laramie SLT Long Bed 2WD with a 5.2 L Magnum V-8 and an automatic transmission. The truck has been sitting for 2 1/2 to 3 years with a blown transmission which I have replaced but not driven yet (waiting on a few "extras" from Summit Racing. I took my rear diff cover off last night and the first thing I noticed was the fluid was very silvery in color. I then noticed that the ring gear teeth were a little worn. I know that I'm gonna have to clean it and replace the fluid with Lucas diff. oil and drive the truck. I don't have the time or money to repair it right now, been out of work as a certified auto-technician for 6 years taking care of my 2 children who are finally in school and are getting used to the idea of "letting Daddy" go back to work. How long do ya'll think I have, the wear is noticeable. I know if I can't find a job quickly then I will have to fix it because I will open up my own mobile auto repair buisness and will be pulling a trailer. Do ya'll think that I should go ahead and fix the problem while I am still finishing up the truck??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, AROD
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
smiley3303 is on a distinguished road

I don't think you will have a problem with a little wear especially if you change the fluid regularly. I think the only common problem people run into on these rear ends is the C clips coming out and then getting caught in gears. I have 09 and regeared and that silvery stuff is normal just clean it up good and you will be fine IMO.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 DODGE RAM 1500 SLT 2WD
Trim Level: SLT LONG BED
Color: SILVER (AT THE MOMENT)
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
AROD is on a distinguished road
Cool silvery diff. fluid

Thanks Smiley3303 for the info. I got to thinking back to when I worked for Dodge back in 2000-2001 and I remember seeing this a few times. Don't know why I didn't remember that before I started this thread??? I guess it's just been a while and I have had way too much stress put on me by my family and my soon to be X-wife! I've been out of the field for 6 years taking care of my little boy and girl. The teeth weren't torn up too badly so I'm going to take your advice on this one, clean it good and put it back together with new diff. oil. I'm just trying to make sure that I won't have any future major problems to fix. Gotta get my truck finished up so I can go back to work! Anyway, thank you for reminding me about that and I'm glad it isn't anything to worry about since that is fairly expensive to fix and I would have to go buy a press and mics. to do a rear end gear change (since someone was so nice as to steal all of my mics)... I will check my C-clips just to make sure though. Thank you once again and GOD Bless. AROD