Undercover Flex Installed - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:57
Biga will become famous soon enough
Default Undercover Flex Installed

I installed an UnderCover Flex today. I had a soft cover but wanted more sucurity and no wind flapping. The cover came with the clip broken where the strap clips in. It just unscrews so I already have a claim in for them to send me a new one, also it does not have the lock rod with the red handle. I either got an older model or the 6'4" bed does not have it. I didn't realize this until after I installed it. Other then that it looks great on my black truck and seems to be of good quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg undercover.JPG (73.4 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg clip2.jpg (34.1 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by Biga; 03-21-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:19
Sgt Beavis is on a distinguished road

coincidentally, I had a new undercover flex installed on my 6'4" bed yesterday. The installer told me the red lock bar for the last panel has been removed from the newer models.

The rubber on the sides of the cover don't yet seal against the top of my truck bed. It has been pretty cool out here lately so I expect they'll become more form fitting after the truck has sat in the sun a day or so. We are expecting full sun and near 80F temps on Monday and Tuesday, so that should take care of it.

I was extremely please with the Undercover I used on my old F150. I'm hoping history repeats itself with this new one.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
coincidentally, I had a new undercover flex installed on my 6'4" bed yesterday. The installer told me the red lock bar for the last panel has been removed from the newer models.

The rubber on the sides of the cover don't yet seal against the top of my truck bed. It has been pretty cool out here lately so I expect they'll become more form fitting after the truck has sat in the sun a day or so. We are expecting full sun and near 80F temps on Monday and Tuesday, so that should take care of it.

I was extremely please with the Undercover I used on my old F150. I'm hoping history repeats itself with this new one.
Okay thanks, the instructions didn't picture the lock rod either.

My seals need to flatten out still as well, may be awhile as its only suppose to be in 40's for highs this week. I went with the Flex because it has the 3 year warrenty, some of the other hard folding covers only come with a 1 year warrenty.

Last edited by Biga; 03-22-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Do you get any ponding of water on top of the cover? I noticed I get a decent amount of water pooling on the top when the truck is sitting, luckily it does not leak in but its almost like the panels are slightly sagged in the middle to allow it to do that, and with the lip on the back of the tailgate it can't run off the back.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Sport
Rep:10
xJO98 is on a distinguished road

I had one for about a month on my '12 with 5'7" bed and it leaked like a sieve. Water did pool on the top but it also infiltrated my bed from front, sides and back and it looked like I had it leaking from the seams in between panels too. Undercover actually refunded me my money.

If you aren't getting any leaking in the bed, I wouldn't worry about the water pooling.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
Do you get any ponding of water on top of the cover? I noticed I get a decent amount of water pooling on the top when the truck is sitting, luckily it does not leak in but its almost like the panels are slightly sagged in the middle to allow it to do that, and with the lip on the back of the tailgate it can't run off the back.
Interesting, we've had a few nights of rain over the last week and I haven't noticed any pooling.

I need to adjust mine though. The side rail rubber is about 3/16ths above the side rails. The installer said it would drop down if I left it in the sun, but it has not. I installed this cover on my old F-150 and had zero leaks. I even drove it through the leftovers of a hurricane and all my stuff was bone dry afterwards.

I also noticed that the rubber at the front edge has a bit of a gap. The side rails from the bed are not flush with the front wall, so the rubber leaves a little bit of gap. I'll try to get some pictures later to illustrate.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:42 PM

Mine was not flush either at first, the instructions say to install the rails flush to 1/8" about the rails so I put them closer to the 1/8" mark and they seals where not on the bed rail so I lowered them down to flush or slightly below flush and they are just about good now and they were still slightly high in spots but the seem be getting better as the weather stripping compresses a bit. The pooling is show below, I learned not to open the tailgate with that water sitting on it or you will get drenched.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0095.jpg (82.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-14-2015, 10:50 AM

Just an update here.

I haven't noticed any pooling on the cover, even with the heavy rains we have seen here in Texas.

Also, the rubber edges have finally settled down along the sides of the bed so there is no longer a gap. However the front edge of the rubber (behind the rear window of the truck has a gap where the sides of the bed and front wall are welded together. This weld is not flush and the rubber won't mold to it in the heat. I'm thinking of taking an X-ACTO and making a little modification.

Other than this, the bed has remained pretty dry in the rain storms. I'm very happy with the product..
Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Black Group
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
WUG is on a distinguished road

I got sick of waiting for the seals to settle and hated the fact it looked much higher above the bedrails that I had assumed (higher than BAK G2 or VP which seems to fit more flush), The seals on the side didn't settle even after a 95 deg day in the sun so I simply dropped the rails a bit and they sealed and flattened as much as can be I think, See pics. Closes properly after dropping rails, no issues but my driveway is at a 20 deg incline and if parked facing my house the thing leaks badly from the bulkhead area and runs down the box tot he tailgate at many spots. I attribute this to the crappy foam tape supplied with the cover and the fact its going on top of rough spray-in liner so I guess there are gaps under the tape created by the spray-in? The tape is supposed to be installed on top of the bulkhead front of the box with the cover resting on top of it I assume (instructions didn't really detail what to do with the tape), since the front of the cover up there sits a cm or so above the bedrail height so figured the tape is supposed to fill that gap. water flows on top of the bulkhead and sneaks through. I was about to ask what others may have done to resolve this? perhaps clear caulk on the outside edge of the foam tape? It would still be hidden when the cover is in place. Maybe there is much better adhesive foam I could try?

DeeZee Tailgate Assist, 20% Front Window Tint, Undercover Flex, U-Guard MAXDura Floor Liners, Mopar Black Aluminum Side Steps
Old 09-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Shub-Niggurath

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 L
Trim Level: Big Horn 4X4
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:29
blackgoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you mount the side bars about a 1/4" below bedrail it will pull it down more and make a tighter seal using the last groove on the clamps helps too FYI..
Advertisement