DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road
Default Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Warning Light

Strange thing happened Saturday while turning through an intersection. Truck seemed to die or lose power when I noticed the ETC warning light come on. I lifted off the accelerator, only to find in a second or two I had power again.

It's been two days, and a hundred miles or so with no sign of this again. Anyone had experience with their truck dying or losing power like this, and getting this red ETC bolt symbol pop up?

10k miles on this truck, and previous 10k have been flawless until this little electronic gremlin surfaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ETC.jpg (6.4 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Well you got the "electronic gremlin" part spot on. I'm no expert on this particular system however I do alot of control related coding. The pedal you are pressing to go is not physically connected to the throttle. There is a computer and software in between. I expect the power loss was the systems fail-safe response to a loss of signal from the pedal (your input). Displaying the fault on the dash is the systems way of telling you that something is not quite right. I would definitely have the pedal actuator checked by the dealer since you still have warranty. Without running some diagnostics there is no way to tell if it was a glitch or if there is actually some hardware fault somewhere.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:20
HeyBrownDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Well you got the "electronic gremlin" part spot on. I'm no expert on this particular system however I do alot of control related coding. The pedal you are pressing to go is not physically connected to the throttle. There is a computer and software in between. I expect the power loss was the systems fail-safe response to a loss of signal from the pedal (your input). Displaying the fault on the dash is the systems way of telling you that something is not quite right. I would definitely have the pedal actuator checked by the dealer since you still have warranty. Without running some diagnostics there is no way to tell if it was a glitch or if there is actually some hardware fault somewhere.
RansRam: Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking the same thing the more and more I read about this little quirk. Everything from a wire harness problem, to a PCM problem. More times than not the underlying theme is one bad wire giving a false read or a sensor cause this to occur.

I feel a little more empowered knowing I might have been in "limp mode" when this occurred, but man it's scary when it happens. WTF was the first thing that came out of my mouth but luckily when I looked down I did see this warning light that helped start this process. Course...I have a bunch of Chevy guys in my truck heading to a football game when this happens right? Luckily we weren't stranded on the side of the road I would have never heard the end of it.

I'd like to get it to my dealer for diagnosis, but I can't be without a vehicle this week. Never fails right? Thanks again for the input....
Old 08-27-2012, 01:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The good thing is there are only a few things it could really be. Electronic throttle control actually really simplified things. Inside the TB there are 3(IIRC) TPS sensors, for redundancy, and a small electric motor that moves the throttle blade.

I'd check connections at TB and pedal, and get the dealer to check it out.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
Color: Blue
Rep:28
TurboCup87 is on a distinguished road

I had this happen for about 1.5 sec as I made a low speed right angle turn at an intersection. Happened about 10 days ago. Drove about 900 mi since then with no issues. Sometimes I wish we were back in 1998.... or even 1968 when it was easy to figure out and repair my car on my own, and you didn't need the "special computer"
Old 10-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram1500 Big Horn Crew 4X4
Trim Level: 26Z Big Horn Regiona
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:10
BlueBeastRam is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2011 ram electrical problem

I have had my truck into the shop 4 times to try to figure out why this is happening, the third time they replaced the brake peddle sensor and they were guessing then.
I took my truck into the shop this AM at 9 and am waiting for a call to see if they have a solution, at least I have a loner from them.

It is very scary when it happens and you lose power in the middle of a busy intersection, it always happens to me always when make a ninety degree left hand turn never a right turn. interested in what others have to say about this issue also.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Larmie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Gray
Tapticar is on a distinguished road

This is happening to me right now! Started about three months ago - loss of responsiveness in the pedal and the flashing lightning bolt!! Took it to the shop and spent about $450 on a new gas pedal. Worked for a week - now I'm having the same issue up to 5 times a day! Turn off the truck and start - and it's fine again. Dealership had no clue what was causing it! Pretty frustrating!!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
Color: Blue
Rep:28
TurboCup87 is on a distinguished road

I've had it happen once, about 12K miles ago. Same scenario: low speed right angle turn. Been OK since.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Big Horn 1500 4WD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
superdlb is on a distinguished road
Default ETC problems 2012 Bighorn Hemi crew cab!

I have this same problem, it has happened about 10 times now, 6,000 miles and three trips to the dealer and the last time to the dealer They had it for a week and a half. Dealer has not done any work on it they are only trying to duplicate problem I even ask them to let a tech drive home and around town still no luck, they stated they had opened something with Chrysler to see if they have any reports. The dealer also told me that they could not dig into the physically without Chrysler's approval without voiding my warranty, now I know they are not planning on doing anything for me. This is my first Chrysler product and will be my last unless they at least try to fix this.
I have about 20 years of experience with drive-ability Problems and know i could probably fix this in one day or less, but since I am retired now and the truck is under warranty I should not have too. It only happens while on a rough section of road or while turning left, We have a intersection at a railroad crossing and this is where it happens most. That only leaves a couple things it could be either a shorted wire, loose connection, loose ground or maybe even a bad ECM, I remember back in the late 80's GM had a lot of bad boards in their ECM's, you could tap on the side of it and it would either die or sputter.
I am now retired, disabled and don't have the equipment anymore.
When the weather gets better I will get out and check the wires and connections.
Anyone figure this out please let me know and if i find it I will post the fix on here.

BTW I checked all the fuses under the hood and found all the larger ones not plugged in good each one popped into place when I pushed on them, I thought that was it till it did it again yesterday.

Last edited by superdlb; 08-07-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Rep:15
dwsdad is on a distinguished road

I had that pesky light come on too. The shop flashed the PCM to the most current version and it still was happening. Long story short, it was the temp sensor shorted out. They replaced that and it's been fine since.