DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002
Trim Level: st
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Bruiser1975 is on a distinguished road
Angry 4.7l Missfire Issue....STUMPED!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

02 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7l (puking).Just traded 3 months ago for my 02 mustang GT..Actually need some advice if you could give me a little i would be very thankful. A week ago i washed motor, nothing major just a fast rinse. Didnt let it run and get warmand dry big no no!! Well the next morning i drive 30 miles....for the first 2 miles missed slightly,barely noticeable,then went away. Got home after trip it sat for 7 hrs and i ran to town and it missed for the first 2 miles then cleaned up and ran fine. Well i did this for 3 days or so back and forthh to work and it is now so bad it barely makes it down the driveway! Throwing P01391 CEL...checked it out and replaced cam and crank sensors,cleared code and new ones appeared 0352,0353,0354 and new sensors did nothing to clean the puking truck up...next day cleared codes and 1391 comes back...Also notice small leak in pocket of intake manifold where a puddle of coolant has been holding....figure its an intake manifold gasket and thats my problem..... Well a week pryor i used the heater and noticed it wouldnt blow warm/hot air until temp guage almost got to "H"...then all the sudden temp would go down and heat would come....did this for a few days....checked coolant and added a gallon plus....so back to current day....pulling plugs and look old and coil packs look original but havent had xtra cash to replace....finally broke down took to mechanic....he does leak test and pressure is fine he says. I know this guy and he has done all my Mustang work over the years so i trust in what he says but it doesnt make sense to me cuz i know coolant is puddlin up in small pocket of manifold. He says timing gear and chain and that timing is off 35 degrees or some shit....hmmm??? Well i have reciepts from pryor owner for new tensioners,timing chain and gears....less than 3 mos ago! Also truck has milkshake under oil cap excessively...never checked under there when i traded...big no,no i know so i dont know how long its been like that...from what i read the 4.7l is a screwed up motor and has condensation problems along with lash adjuster and rocker problems...and yes mine chatters untill it gets warm...so what do i do and should i let mechanic tear into the timing issue...........im lost without my truck....any advice ? Should i just spend 200.00 on plugs and coil packs just to see if it helps...throw good dollar after bad dollar ya know?
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAM 4.8L 290ci
Trim Level: Quad Cab SLT
Color: Black
Rep:12
SuperiorStyles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SuperiorStyles Send a message via Yahoo to SuperiorStyles

I went through many of those issue. A clear Answer will be Rebuild the top end completely. That will clear up all your issues. I did it on mine and no morning ticks/pings/knocks, no milky oil cap, no misfires and no leaks. I also thought the milky oil cap was from condensation but when I rebuild mine I made sure there was no leaks in the engine intake. Dude It worth spending a little more and getting all new timing components from Dodge instead of aftermarket. it ran for the same amount of money as aftermarket.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanx for tip and im that type of guy! I want my vehicle to be running perfect and do whatever I have to get it takin care of. Looked into atermarket heads etc.....all timing components are 3 mos old.....i think its intake leak or head basket but mechanic buddy thinks its timing componants! What exactly have you done to your top end and whats the cost?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to SuperiorStyles Send a message via Yahoo to SuperiorStyles

well I did lots I took my Stock my heads and ported them nothing to major and shave them down for my intake I went with jeep manifold which is a little shorter and installed
a 72 mm throttle body on the lower end I installed the High output Dome Pistons and MLS headgaskets to seal the engine tight. It's so much to write that you be amazed but yea it ran just on the engine rebuild 3400 dollars but it was done right the first time. That's y I recommend to get it done now then later so you can enjoy it finally like i been.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

GEEEEZ GUYS....I would expect silence if I were asking about a a broken muffler bearing, bad hadlight pump, ummmm how about a bad sparkplug tensioner......LOL ...anyway after taking to my mechanic we have decided to goahead with timing cover tear down to see what timing is set at and if any of the new parts that were put on by prior owner hav failed in anyway. He does not have this special 1000.0 scope that tests the cam and crank sensors to see if they r hitting at the right times....measures something that has to d with timing ....and yeah thats a poor description but im no mechanic ...

Recap of symptoms: Traded for truck 3months ago, prior owner replaced timing components all brand new(by hgim and brother not a mechanic), Engine rinsed off ,next morning engine misfire with p1391 code, Misfire that has progressively gotten worse over 100 miles, misfire at first would go away when truck warmed up, had to add 1.5 gallons of coolant, heater blows cool air but i attribute that to coolant level being low, milkshake under oil cap, coils and plugs weathered and old, coolant gathering in front ocket of intake(vey small amount)....

Mechanic Tested: coil packs, cam and crank sensors replacement x2,checked all wiring from sensor to ecm, leak down pressure test, compression test, and im sure im forgetting something along the way!

Anyway ill keep you all inormed as i see alot of you are looking at thread but not responding...maybe it has all of you stumped too!!!! If you all have ANY IDEAS THROW THE MY WAY IT WILL BE APPECIATED!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 AM

it happen sometimes you wont even get a response lol but yea keep running test but keep in mind if you want it to last and run right just go for the goal and start fresh knowing you got the job done and you were there to make sure its right. good luck
Old 09-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
DodgieDan is on a distinguished road

Noteably Dodge had a problem with the 4.7 litre engine, cast block and aluminium heads. The gasket used at the factory is not the proper one, need a bi metal head gasket usually a 3 layer type. I had the same problem and luckily when I bought mine I got a aftermarket warranty and had the work done for free. Good luck hope you get it fixed