DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram V8 Magnum
Color: Silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
BrennenK014 is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Dodge Ram Magnum Issue, Short?

Alright so a few weeks ago I had purchased a truck, a truck in which would require a bit of work. I do my own work so I thought id save myself some money. So I bought it one night and drove it home 20+ miles, no problem. Now, I had borrowed my step dads dealer plate and threw it on the truck just to drive to work and back. Now since I bought it, truck has not moved. I started driving it to work a few times and now the truck seems like it may have a short somewhere? The truck will be running and Ill be driving and it will randomly stall. No hesitating, no sputtering, no noises, it just shuts off. That's a hazard seeing how it happens out of nowhere and you lose power steering. Not to mention at this time this happened I had stitches in my right hand, had the radio on. I was driving home from work , now driving with one hand is no problem but when you're expecting to do an easy turn onto your road and you have no power steering.. that's an issue, Out of reaction it was either hit the pole or the car sitting at the stop sign. I did neither, i used both hands to turn last second, tore my stitches open. It was painful, but clearly this is a hazard. The radio was not even loud, enough so I can hear it. That's how I know it didn't make any noises, after that it has been parked in my driveway since and yesterday I went to move it and my battery is dead? When I brought it home, I fully charged it. The battery is fine, the truck sat for 2 weeks after I brought it home the first time. Had full power, that's why I drove it to work. But there must be a short or something? Possibly a solenoid?

Can I get someone else's input on this? I don't even know where to start.
Something wrong with a car or truck I can fix it. When it comes to electrical, I know the basics.

The truck is a 1999 Dodge Ram V8 Magnum 5.9L
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

You would have to provide more information for anyone to hazard any sort of WAG as to what is going on... For example, Dies only at idle? When stepping on brake? Shifts normally? How does it restart? CEL illuminated? Low on fuel, and only after going around a bend? Idle normally? As I mentioned, need all the symptoms to even think about what all may be wrong.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamintrashcan View Post
You would have to provide more information for anyone to hazard any sort of WAG as to what is going on... For example, Dies only at idle? When stepping on brake? Shifts normally? How does it restart? CEL illuminated? Low on fuel, and only after going around a bend? Idle normally? As I mentioned, need all the symptoms to even think about what all may be wrong.
Well considering I gave pretty straight forward information in my first post saying it randomly shuts off. If I was driving it for a mile or two and then randomly happens it has nothing to do with shifting nor using brakes. For your theory as to going around a bend an such no, once again if you thoroughly read my first post i was ABOUT to turn therefore it died going straight.

But regardless of that, the problem is I have a loose/cracked/shorting out wire in my tilt steering, withthe truck running if I tilt the steering to a certain point it will restart the truck. Or if the key is on, and Ido it, same thing it resets it as if I had just turned the key off then on again. Now how would I go about dismantling my column seeing how I have an airbag and such?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

If it's a Dodge and it's been sitting, I'd check the alternator. It doesn't seem to be charging the battery if it's dead and if it's locking up while running it can cause it to just shut down out of the blue. I'd get a couple drinks, and jump it and watch it run, or pull the belt off and feel it for grinding etc...

It could be bad/dirty battery terminals because that'll cause the same problem.

If you pull the alt and have it tested and it is charging properly, then you'll either have to get another ECM or install in external regulator...that IS if the battery terminals are okay. Pick up some Coca Cola and pour a little on the terminals as the acid neutralizes the battery corrosion and is just plain cool to watch it just disappear.

Edit: Unhook the battery and cycle the key to do a power drain. Then pull the air bag and look into the column. There aren't any real serviceable parts in it except the multi-function switch do be careful not to damage anything that there aren't parts available for.

Last edited by Warlock III; 09-01-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Rep:15
JwhiteH is on a distinguished road

The column just has screws in the bottom that hold it together. Remove those and peel it apart. The fact that you have an airbag doesn't matter since you aren't messing with the actual steering wheel.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I thought the wire was located inside in which I had assumed needed the steering wheel to be removed but i took the cover off and have found the wires. Someone had attempted to use electrical tape once. So I shall redo them and use shrink wrap Thanks for the help and the coca cola thing never heard about that one.