DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute
Default Installing Turn signal and puddle light mirrors

As the title indicated, this is a thread on installing the the LED turn single Mirrors with puddle lights on a Ram that came with standard mirrors, no puddle light and no LED turn signal. As we have come to know from all the great people in the forum, you cannot program the truck to use these mirror's, the mirror adjustments, and heating of the mirrors will work fine, but the puddle light and the turn signal have to be hard wired into the trucks wiring. Here's how to do it.

Time to do the full install, around 3hrs.

so here goes.

Open the Driver side door and remove the top cap of the door that hides the 3 bolts that hold the mirror.

then remove the 6 push in plugs that hold the door and pull upwards on the door panel to remove it will lift off

Locate the plug and wire for the old mirror and unclip, unscrew the 3 bolts that hold the mirror in place and push on the top most bolt, the mirror will pop off.

install the new mirror in the same way you removed it, and look at the plugs. there will be a black plug and a white one.

You can cut the wires but I like to keep things in a way that it can be put back to original so I pull the pins of the wires I need out of the plugs, there are 2 wires you need, one for the puddle light and one for the turn signal. The puddle light is the Dark Green/black wire, its on the white plug, the turn signal is the Black/gray wire on the black plug.

Plug the 2 plugs back into the door module and your left with 2 wires.

pull the dash panel off to expose the green connector for the interior ceiling lights

on the connector you will see wire #13, this is the dome light wire, again you can cut into the wire, I like to take those connectors apart and get to the wire so as to make a clean just that can be put back to its original state.

use a multi meter to verifiy which wire is the dome light, on my truck it was the yellow/white wire in position #13.

here comes the long part, remove the rubber door gasket the one that goes all the way around the door, just pull down and out then up to remove it from its clips, do 2 clips down and 2 up from the center area

then remove the 2 screws that hold the wiring harness from the door

take the tape off and remove the plastic white sleeve that holds the wires together, pull up the rubber cover on the connectors that are attached to the truck wall

remove the foot cover on the inside of the truck to access the wire area where they come in from the door

fish , and this is not easy, but fish a double wire from the 2 wires that you removed from the mirror plugs via the rubber suckle into the foot area on the inside of the truck, I passed them on the outside of the connector unit and fished them to the inside of the truck just below the parking brake area, I had to remove the white clip that holds the carpet to the side wall to access the hole were the wires come in.

once you have passed your double wire, connect the wire for the puddle lights to the green connector wire #13 on my truck

Clean up your wiring and your almost done on this side.

I fished the wire through the rubber sleeve and into the truck via the outside of the door wire connector, its tight but it goes through and when you Close up everything in revers of what you did to get to it you can't see the double wire you passed, and your puddle light is linked, you will need to run a second wire to this location for the passenger side puddle light.
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2012, 08:15 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

(continued)

open the hood and access the wire box, fuse box, shit i don't remember what its called, but its just there next to the batters, pop out the connector located on the bottom left, when you pull it off it has a red cap over the connectors.

Again I like to keep things clean and nice, so i pulled the connector apart to wire up the wires clean and neat.

the Driver side signal wire connects to the White/green wire at location #49, the passenger signal wire connects to the White/yellow wire at location #50.

run a double wire from those 2 wires via the firewall to the inside of the truck and connect the driver side wire to the wire coming from the #49 wire. run the the other wire to the passenger side and connect it there. At the same time run the wire from the green connector #13 pin to the puddle light on the passenger side. I ran the 2 wires through the dash to the other side, fished it the same way as the driver side and linked up the 2 same wires and voila, it was done.

Not a easy mod, but its still cool to do.

If anyone needs more info, just let me know.

Sorry the pictures are not great but I hope it helps others with this install if they want to do it.

Last edited by Asur; 08-31-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge RAM SLT HEMI
Color: BLUE
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:59
matt085 will become famous soon enough

great writeup! thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Thanks Matt, not the easiest of mod to do, it would take about 5min to do per door if you could program the truck for them, trucks that had these mirrors already and go to the tow mirrors with the puddle and signal are fine, but trucks that had the regular non puddle non turn signal mirrors can't. Anyways, it was cool to do it.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

great write up man! I like how clean you kept everything.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1772
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Amazing right up!
All those pictures makes me glad I have them already....LOL
I would have given up after the first picture
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:49 PM

Sorry here's a pic of the truck with the new mirrors

Old 09-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1772
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

SWEET!
Now we just need em painted
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Unfortunately an error has made me have to change the connection location for the turn signal hook up, after trying to find the location of the 2 signal wires for the front turn signals I have opted to connect them directly to the wire located on the front lighting harness. For the Passenger Turn-signal locate the (all white) wire in the wire harness, and for the driver turn-signal locate the white/light blue wire, tap into these 2 and your done. Sorry for the previous information at the top of this thread, I would of changed it but I cannot edit it anymore. It has been said to err is human, shit I must be human.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: St
Color: Black
Rep:10
Aaronswitzer is on a distinguished road
Default mirror signals

I'm trying to connect mirrors with signals with no puddle lights. i'm a bit confused with your last post. Are you tapping directly into the front signals and bypassing the harness with the red top in the engine compartment?