DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
2011redrt is on a distinguished road

Sorry.. I was talking about the four link bars to center the wheel front to back. And, I agree if you can fab this stuff you should. It is about 20% of the cost to pay someone else to build it! Here is a link to get rod ends and weld in tips. http://www.qscomponents.com/
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricnine View Post
If you can do it yourself you should, it's a quick process and much cheaper than purchasing. I know by measuring at the shop my roll center is inline from front to rear along the roll axis of the truck.

Now this is fine for street application, but if your goal is the performance of an auto -x truck then by all means you want to focus on the bar being parallel as the bar being at an angle can increase your spring rates and shock dampening. With adjustable shocks in a street application some of these adverse effects can be adjusted by the dampers. Ultimately the connection points of the front and rear bars are the same. It's my opinion that the most critical part of the suspension that is lacking on these trucks when lowered is the front end links. I wish they had a cure for that.

Either way, great progress on your ride and good luck to you with your project.
I'm not following you here. Roll center is not front to rear. Roll center is side to side on each axle. It's the point where sprung weight begins to lean. It can also be different on each axle. A panhard being angled doesn't change spring rates or shock dampening, it preloads the roll center to one side. It may feel like it changed a spring rate, but it doesn't....it's just loaded up to one side.
Instant center is front to back...and I'm oversimplifying it a lot but changing this is how you make a tire hook up or spin...it also affects braking to some degree.
Here's a thought on the adjustable bars...they can be made longer to re-center the axle. Making them longer also pushes instant center further out to the front of the truck, lifting the front better and planting the rear tires harder.

I'll agree with you on the front sway bar end links needing to be addressed. I wanna take them to a parts place and see if I can cross it to something shorter to flatten out the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011redrt View Post
Why not just have a fixed length bar to center the rear. If you do not have vibrations from poor pinion angle there is not much advantage to having them adjustable. Why preload when the 4 link prevents rear wrap under load?
There are many advantages to having them adjustable....one is dialing in the pinion angle you want to help plant the rear tires. I already mentioned the benefit of moving instant center further forward with a longer bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricnine View Post
Once a bracket is available that won't be an issue. lol

I have yet to get anyone to show me a pic of the McGaughy's relocation bracket or I would have one machined and have the best of both worlds. Wanna show me a pic?
It's a pretty simple bracket. I'll snap you a pic tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011redrt View Post
Sorry.. I was talking about the four link bars to center the wheel front to back. And, I agree if you can fab this stuff you should. It is about 20% of the cost to pay someone else to build it! Here is a link to get rod ends and weld in tips. http://www.qscomponents.com/
If I had more time I would fab them. I don't have to buy rod ends or DOM tubing...our shop for the race cars is full of that stuff. I have a huge project going right now though that I'm lead project manager on so my time for the next month+ is very limited. Hell...I could make them out of titanium tubing if I was that serious about it...we have that too. lol

Last edited by UNBROKEN; 09-05-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 PM

In a perfect world I'd have this to play with...this is on the Terry Murphy built '63 Corvette ADRL XTF car I crew on.
It's probably overkill for the street though. LOL
I set this up from scratch...car has gone as quick a .978 to the 60' on a 10.5W tire.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 PM

I should clarify something.
A vehicle like our trucks also has a left and right instant center on the front axle by lining up the angles of the upper and lower control arms. Using these instant center measurements is how you find the roll center of the front end. Once you know roll center you can figure out where to add or remove weight to move the roll center or make the car do different things. If you raced oval stuff and only turned left...you'd move your roll center to the right which would add weight to the left of roll center...basically making the car heavy on that side so it wouldn't lean in the turns as much.

Again....that's a pretty drastically oversimplified statement but I was just trying to give a very basic explanation.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram sport crew
Trim Level: sport
Color: White
Rep:10
audio ram is on a distinguished road

good info unbroken. keep it coming.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: mineral grey
ChiefRocka11 is on a distinguished road

Nice looking truck
Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: Slt Big Horn CC
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
CaddyRam is on a distinguished road

I too was wondering about the ride quality now. It has to be much firmer than stock, but how much of a compromise is it from the Cadillac like ride that stock is???
Mufflex18,limo tint,DNX 6960w/rearview camera, sirrius satellite,DVD,Nav,radar detector/video camera mount, Damplifier.Ez down tailgate assist,bed extender, LineX,relocated rearwindow switch,custom twin filter air intake,custom front/rear center consoles w10'' Kappa and LED lighting.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 sport
Color: black
2012NightRider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNBROKEN View Post
My stock rims were already 22's and I didn't want a 305 tire on a 9" wheel. As far as how much it dropped, all I can do is post the difference in measurements I took from the parts I installed.
I had an amount of gap I wanted and that's the number I shot for....hit it within 1/8".

I plan to play with this thing on some road courses as well as drag race it so I'm trying to build a cohesive suspension system that works, not just a drop kit that lowers the truck.
These are the parts I could find at the time...as far as how well they work I can't say I have an opinion yet. It of course handles better than stock but I haven't driven it enough yet to dial it in and get the understeer I'm after. It'll likely take some track time to accomplish that.

As far as the blacked out thing...here's my other truck that I sold on Friday.

It doesn't get much more blacked out than that....I wanted something lighter this time but I'm still anti chrome. And really....black wheels on a silver or white truck....everyone does that including my brother with his 2012 F350 with black BMF's on it. lol
At 7600 lbs that thing could hang with Corvettes and such on the twisty roads then destroy them on the dragstrip with the 900+ HP motor under the hood. It would embarrass most peoples audio systems as well with about 10K in a strictly SQ stereo system.

I don't like building one trick ponys...or trucks that only do one thing well. I like to build total package trucks. That's my plan with this one too.

I love the way this ford sits. How do i get my ram to sit like that with new wheels??? Should i go 24s?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 sport
Color: black
2012NightRider is on a distinguished road

^^^^sorry i didnt clarify i already have the belltech 2/4 lowering kit. i notice at bout 70 when i hit an over pass it has alot of "body roll". I had that issue with my 07 jeep srt8 but then i out new end links on it and it and lowered it and it handled like it was glued to the road.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 PM

The body roll you feel is because BellTech didn't include a panhard bar relocation bracket with their kits. Your bar is at a crazy angle and has the truck loaded to one side...your axle is shifted to one side too...look at it from behind and see how uneven your tires are side to side.
They supposedly have a bracket now...get it and it'll fix that issue.
If you didn't get their shorter rear sway bar end links in your kit get those too.

If you want it a bit lower you can cut 1/2 a coil off the front spring and a full coil off the back for an additional 1" front and rear.