DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn ~V~
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
2012Longhorn is on a distinguished road
Default What the? Oil filter location

I just did my first oil change an I swear the engineer that engineered the location of the filter must have had a medicinal marijuana card. Oil went everywhere. It was also overtightened from factory because it almost didnt come off. Thank God I checked for stuck seal because the old filter left it behind. I hate to have to take it to jiffy lube next time, but I dont see changing another one. Wow!
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

It's always a headache to perform the first oil change because the filter is [over] tightened at the plant by machines and not human's hands. No idea why they do that

I know exactly what you're saying as I too have encountered the same problem/issue on several vehicles in the past performing the first oil filter change. Actually, I've totally destroyed more than one oil filter while removal.

The Ram was really not that bad at all.

PS: What did you mean when you said "but I dont see changing another one?" You don't intend changing the oil filter again.... ever?

Grub out!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Been there, done that, welcome to your first oil change lmao
Old 09-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:33
LazyEyeRacer is on a distinguished road

The first one always sucks. Damn robots! And I know what you mean about the oil going all over the front crossmember and steering rack. Total PITA! Look at it this way, that crossmember will never rust!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

I used a old plastic bowl with a rag folded up in it under the filter. I trimmed it so it sits there. Loosen filter slowly so oil doesn't splatter. Loosen alittle more and let it drain. Take filter off and let it gently go into bowl. No mess.
oldhp
Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't go to a Jiffy Lube around here
they have such a bad reputation, that the manager & lube guys stand out front with signs,
that read
No Waiting

what happened to me:
about 4 years ago, i had driven onto their lot, the manager wrote up everything, including my choice of oil
I stood out side of the bay smoking & watched them
i had asked for Castrol, they put in Valvoline
i had asked them to lube the front of my 1/2 ton Chevy, i never saw a grease gun raise out of the pit
i had requested that they check the rear differential, they never did

as they reached up to close the hood, i asked for the Manager, he had left, i kept standing in front of my truck & did not move, the Manager had been at the KFC next door

I told him about the wrong oil, he said that they would drain it
i told him about not greasing the front end, he said that 1999 chevy trucks don't have zerk fittings, i told him that mine did & so did my drive shaft, we argued & told him to look for himself, it finally got greased
i told him that the rear end had not been checked, the workers insisted that they had checked it, i asked them how they did it, because the rear tires were not over the grease pit, the pit was a short one

Dodge does all the work on my Ram, just recently they opened up another building that used to be Jeep & used car service, they call it EXPRESS LUBE.
I supply my own oil & oil filter
I get charged less then $15. & it is mostly for discarding the old oil & filter
My service is in their data base & if something goes wrong, it is on them
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-03-2012, 03:20 PM

Vehicle: 2013Express,2014 Charger R/T
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:39
roo is on a distinguished road

Mine wasn't too tight but the location is pretty sorry! Bent up a little cake cake pan to catch the oil that would have run all over rubber boot on the steering.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

You can also use something like a quart or gallon orange juice/drink jug

on the opposite side of the handle, cut about 1/2 the bottom off & cut the side of the jug off at an angle, up to about 3 or 4 inches from the jugs threaded neck

after loosening the filler plug, lay something like saran wrap over the steering rod
stick the modified bottle into place
remove the plug & let the old oil drain into your new funnel & out the threaded part of the jug

I saw a trucker use a funnel like this when he needed to add oil into his engine
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Mega
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:11
organized mayhem is on a distinguished road

Like roo, mine wasn't too tight either. But yes the location sucks.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Molten red pearl
Rep:24
ronhawk62 is on a distinguished road

I got four free oil changes with mine, not looking forward to doing it myself in about a year.