DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Quad Cab
Color: Pure Gold
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:42
SwampDonkey is on a distinguished road
Default Completed 1st DIY antifreeze flush. Pic of flushed coolant

Completed my first DIY coolant flush on the Ram a few months ago. It's an 07' Laramie with 15,100 miles. The antifreeze was original to the truck and the only reason I changed it was because the truck's manual says to change it every five years. I used the Zerex G-05 which I bought at Napa for about $18/gallon. This antifreeze seems to be highly regarded amongst Ram owners.

Had never changed antifreeze before so I did quite a bit of reading on this site prior to starting the flush.

Thoughts/make-shift procedure:

*** Note - I am not mechanically inclined and not sure if this is how you're supposed to do this ***

1. Started off by taking off my radiator cap.

2. The radiator plug was relatively easy to locate. However, it wasn't designed like I expected. I twisted it like a bolt, expecting it to twist it out - it didn't. I then grabbed it with pliers and pulled expected it to pop it - it didn't. After about five minutes of a frustrated combination of pulling and twisting, it finally came free. However, this the antifreeze didn't empty from here (as I expected - similar to an oil drain plug). Instead, the antifreeze started dumping from a nipple looking thing next to and below the plug. Not a big deal, I just wasn't expecting it and dumped a cup or so of antifreeze on the floor.

2. It took about a minute to drain everything. I wish I would have propped my drain pan up on something because there was a lot of splatter from the antifreeze having to fall so far before hitting the drain pan. I suppose a standard 5-gallon bucket would have probably worked better for catching the antifreeze.

3. The plug was much easier to replace with a combination of pushing and twisting.

***I decided that instead of a normal drain and fill, I wanted to do a complete flush to get out ALL of the 5-yr antifreeze***

4. I removed the upper radiator hose clamp from the radiator with simple vice pliers. I then pulled the hose off the radiator. Very simple and easy.

5. I removed the lower hose clamp from the thermostat housing using the same vice grip - also simple and easy. I could not pull the hose off the thermostat housing no matter how hard I tried.

6. Using a standard socket, I removed the top thermostat housing bolt. Easy.

7. Using same socket but with a 10 inch extension, I removed the lower housing bolt. This was a pain the butt. I found it extremely difficult to get to. Took about 3-5 minutes before I was able to get it out.

8. I could now see the thermostat. I've never taken one of these out before so I just guessed and grabbed the pinkish rubber gasket thing the thermostat was attached to and pulled it out with a set of pliers. Not sure if this is how you're supposed to remove a thermostat but it worked.

9. Reattached the thermostat housing with the two bolts and again, the lower bolt that is closer to the cab was a pain in the butt to get screwed in. Took several long minutes to get it tightened.

10. I pushed the end of the hose that usually connects to the radiator down through the engine compartment so it could drain into a 5-gallon bucket. The hose is pretty rigid so it wasn't as easy as configuring a garden hose.

11. Poured 1.5 gallons of distilled water into radiator where I had removed the radiator cap.

12. Started the engine and let run for approx. 30 seconds. Antifreeze came dumping through the radiator hose into the bucket at a pretty quick pace. It was also extremely hot. After the 30 seconds I shut down the truck.

13. Added another 1.5 gallons (this is approximate) of distilled water and repeated the same procedure as before. I did this until I had used 7 gallons of distilled water. I stopped at 7 gallons because the liquid that was being pumped into the bucket was nearly clear at this point so I figured I had at least 95% of the old antifreeze out of the system.

14. I now removed that dang thermostat housing again and again, the lower bolt was a pain in the butt.

15. Not knowing how to replace the thermostat, I just kind of forced the rubber gasket into place with my hands and it surprisingly went in easily. I think I just got lucky with this.

16. Reattached the thermostat housing. Reattached the end of the hose to the radiator and replaced the clamps on both ends of the hose.

17. Filled the radiator with a gallon of the new antifreeze, poured in a gallon of distilled water, poured in about 1/2 gallon more of antifreeze, and that pretty much topped it off.

18. Ran the truck around town for a few errands. Got home and checked the freeze level and according to one of those cheap testers from Napa (the one where it's a small turkey baster with several small colored balls inside it that float), I'm sitting at about 5 degrees of antifreeze protection. It's a little higher than I'd like (I'd prefer to be down near -10).

Overall it took me about three hours to do all of this. Because I'm now familiar with everything, I expect the next flush to take no more than 60 minutes.

My biggest learning experience from this was now knowing where the antifreeze drains from. For future changes I will attach a small piece of tubing to the nipple that the antifreeze drains from and run it into a bucket. That would have saved me quite a bit of cleanup.

The picture is all of the old antifreeze, including the flushed water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dodge antifreeze flush SEP12.jpg (115.7 KB, 59 views)
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Cool! I use the cheap "universal" fluid in all my vehicles just to make it easy. I usually do a similar flush every 50k miles or so. I do 50k miles in about 3 years though.

Be sure you have burped all the air out of the system. Put the heater on and leave the radiator cap off, and start the truck and let it get to operating temperature, and squeeze the radiator hoses and air bubbles will "burp" out. Then top it off and replace the cap. Check it for a few heat cycles, they usually need topped off a few times.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Nice job & description

Before it is time to start using your HEATER
get a gallon jug & pliers i think
pull the heater hoses off at the ENGINE end, not the heater end
you will see that it is easier to get to that way

Then take a water hose with a jury rigged assembly & stick it into the heater hose that did NOT come out of the water pump, you will be flushing the heater in a backwards flow from normal
stick the end that did come out of the water pump into the gallon jug

set your heater settings to high heat positions to allow the flow of water through the heater, (you may need to turn the key to one of the on positions) do not start the engine
put on a pair of dirty clothes & safety googles & close your mouth
then turn the water hose to a bit more than a trickle, you may need to adjust the pressure to get the gunk out of the heater

watch this video, the guy is funny, ( i believe that his secret cleanser was CLR )
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-03-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:07 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
set your heater settings to high heat positions to allow the flow of water through the heater, (you may need to turn the key to one of the on positions)
How does the heater controls control the flow of water through the heater core?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:05 PM

Vehicle: 2007 dodge power wagon
Trim Level: power wagon
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
mb power wagon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple guy View Post
How does the heater controls control the flow of water through the heater core?
i don't believe it does. the coolant always flows through the heater core. its the doors inside the heater box that allow heat to pass through the heater core to push heat into the vehicle or the door closes and allows outside air to flow in or cool air if the a/c is on.