DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

your absolutely right, I confused that with Lindstad.

http://www.bellefourche.com/lindstad/

you said half tons. anything with a lift and bigger tires? I had no issues with my 35s, but the 37s I now have are causing problems with railroads or major road issues and death wobble situations.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2012, 07:17 PM

double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

ok we should just tie this thread to the death wobble thread.

is this the factory track bar? underneath all that build-up grease crap, is a grease fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by double0ram View Post
triple post!!! yea!

ok I want to say I've read somewhere that the oe bar doesn't have a greaseable fitting, which this one does, so that's why I'm questioning

Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I wuld ned hands on to tell if you had a MOOG rod. http://lukeslink.com/images/ll_documents/Lukes%20Link%20Install%20Instruct.pdf I think this page pasted OK, if not, just go to lukes link dotcom and go to the installation page, small pdf and it'll let you know all about how to install, if you don't have a MOOG bar, and how to exchange your bar if it is, you have to measure your bar to know whether or not its orig or not, moog is over 2 " around, whereas the others are like, 1&5/8" dia. youtube has (or used to have) a decent video on how to rebuild your bar. I wouldn't use a link if I had a diesel, or carried a v-plow, cuz in my opinion, no matter what you do in a truck that heavy on the front end, is that rod with a ballsocket going to hold up, it's simply an over engineered piece of crap design, but both of mine have been fine for quite some years now. The rubber on the right side on my trucks was OK, so I didn't buy that side kit, just the drivers side ballsocket , and the long tierod kits. Those two rods, if I remember are over 400$ to replace, and they're not even straight, so they dont even make good prybars!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM

Oh, PS I don't know how well that'll tighten up your wobble situation, I used to have 14.5x36 tires, and they were sickening crackfinders, but they were bias, I've heard radials aren't nearly as bad, dunno. I run pizzacutters on it nowadays, with petrol being what it is. I've got a 2 or 3 " body lift on that truck, no suspension lift on it, the geometry gets less and less mechanical advantage the higher you go, so more troubles multiply.I actually prefer to use the lifted truck, nowadays, it rides better. Something I looked at and decided, was that fancy steer stabilizers are only good for tearing up that overengineered ballsocket on the trackrod, as they only put more strain on it. my 95 has the rusted out factory stabilizer on it, and it drives better than my 98, which has some megabuck stabilizer on it, it just makes it harder to crank the steering wheel with one hand... one last thing, go to a hardware store and buy a 9/16 fine thread castellated nut and cotter pin, the kit doesn't come with them, nice to use, once your ballsocket stud gets all nice and wirewheeled off.

Last edited by Screamintrashcan; 09-13-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: castellated nut and cotter pin
Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 AM

so that bracket that mounts between the frame and the sway bars (steering stabilizer) makes turning harder? Custom Diesel has it for 109 and I'm considering that along with a track bar/Luke's link to start with the suspension work, then maybe a dual steering stabilizer, not the bracket for the steering box/frame, but the shock one.

weird they have the same name

I've also heard that atop the steering box, you can loosen the nut, then the threads have an Allen you tighten, and then retighten the nut down, to reduce slop/wiggle in the steering box.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 PM

I feel that the horizontal shock absorber deal, at least for my purposes, makes only for a stiffer steering wheel, The bolt on bracket deals, if you have the standard track rods, in my opinion, destroy the ballsocket quicker than having a little flex in the frame. That being said, I don't know if you've ever noticed, but if you have your eng operating, and stick someone in the drivers seat and have them turn the wheel,on dry paved surface, while you stand in front and observe, your truck will wiggle its nose like a bunnyrabbit. It's so great a movement, it is measureable on a tape measure. Pretty crazy. that's one of the reasons, I fear, that Dodges are so susceptable to death wobble, there's already a great amount of flex built right into these overengineered frames / frontends, that any lift or geometry changes mutliply the crap out of it. The backlash adjustment on the steer box may take out a little slop, but not much, and if you run it all the way down, and back 1/8 turn, all I've ever gotten is numb feeling in the steering wheel. If you have a leaky box, I have manufactured a really nice deal to disassemble the bottom end and drive a new seal in, I could describe that to you, if you need, it's simply washers and a piece of steel tubing, simple enough to make, otherwise you may need more than one seal, they're pretty wimpy and easy to screw up installing. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 PM

yea I've had the wife wiggle the steering for me. it does move like you said. this death wobble BS is killing me man. I can't believe I didn't have issues ridding 35s but with 37s its a daily problem. I love these wheels and tires I have but I have 3 months to get this figured out because I have a 700 mile interstate trip to make with the truck and I'm not limping 35mph to Wisconsin. that would take days.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 RAM Laramie SLT 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
safetyfast is on a distinguished road

I put a Moog on mine. It's much better built than the stock bar.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double0ram View Post
ok looking at this picture, the bottom bar my bds stabilizer is tied to is the tie rod, the top bar with the rusty brackets is drag link, and the middle is my track bar.

having a buddy move my suspension back and forth, the drag link almost twists, with a very distinct sharp movement, is that normal? i have a video uploading of it so once its done ill put it up
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 PM

just click on the picture, its a video