DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport 4X4
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
borodin1 is on a distinguished road
Question Safe to tow?

Hello everyone

I have a question. I got 2012 Ram Sport with 5.7 Hemi. I want to haul a boat across the country (1100 miles). Boat itself weights 4500lbs, trailer is probably another 500-800lbs. I know our trucks are rated for much more then that but I'm still kind of paranoid with my truck being so new (1200 miles on odometer.) This would be a 1-time thing, I'm not doing this for a living. What do you think?
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:83
SFVDOC will become famous soon enough

People and Companies put trucks into service from day 1 with towing and hauling. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

make sure you have a good tow setup using stabilizers if needed, hook it up, an foregt its back there. Except when passing and on corners of course, LOL. You are not gonna have a problem towing thta weight.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

I would not worry about it, take it slow till your truck is all nice and warmed up and use your better judgement when towing you will be fine. As other have pointed out, make sure your well balanced and all should go well.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:11 PM

You guys make me feel much better about this Can someone chime in and give me some tips on being "well balanced" and "stabilized"? This is a boat on a trailer that came with the boat... what can I possibly do to make it better then it already is? I've never towed anything this big for this long (this is the first truck that I own) so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Once again, thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/silver trim
Rep:63
TRCM will become famous soon enough

I think you are underestimating the trailer weight a good bit based on the boat.

My boat weighs 2200 lbs, and the trailer weighs more than 400-500 lbs on it.

Just be safe, check everything, and it may not be a bad idea to buy one of them infrared temp guns to check on the tire temps and hub temps on the trailer every now and then.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Make sure that the the entire rig looks level, i.e. ensure the tongue weight is correct by ensuring weight in the boat is distributed front to back. Make sure tire pressure on the trailer wheels is correct and all lights on the trailer are working. Also ensure some kind of working trailer braking system. Overall just take your time and you will be just fine. I just pulled a 26' bayliner and it's trailer had it's own hydraulic braking system. I pulled it over 200kms with no problems at all. Here are a couple of pics I took.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:37 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Also, Always keep an eye on your gauges, they are usually the first to tell you if something is going wrong. Depending on the tongue weight of you boat and trailer, You might want to look at a weight distribution or equalization system. Maybe even some air bags in your springs to level out the truck. Talk to the people your getting your boat from and get more information about how they usually tow that unit. Boats are not as bad as campers when it comes to tongue weight since many have engines in the rear the help equalize the total weight.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

Boats are inherently set up well on their trailer. Other than cross wind, boats tow very well. Make sure your bearings are lubed well for the trip and tires are worthy and you will be totally fine.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I think you are underestimating the trailer weight a good bit based on the boat.

My boat weighs 2200 lbs, and the trailer weighs more than 400-500 lbs on it.

Just be safe, check everything, and it may not be a bad idea to buy one of them infrared temp guns to check on the tire temps and hub temps on the trailer every now and then.
I think you may be right... Here's a chart that I found so... if we say trailer is 1000lbs and boat is 4500lbs I'm still well below 7000+lbs towing capacity, even if we say that trailer is mega-heavy and weights more then 1000lbs

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/trailer/trailer-wts.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Make sure that the the entire rig looks level, i.e. ensure the tongue weight is correct by ensuring weight in the boat is distributed front to back. Make sure tire pressure on the trailer wheels is correct and all lights on the trailer are working. Also ensure some kind of working trailer braking system. Overall just take your time and you will be just fine. I just pulled a 26' bayliner and it's trailer had it's own hydraulic braking system. I pulled it over 200kms with no problems at all. Here are a couple of pics I took.
This is similar boat. I'm towing a 25' Chris Craft and I wouldn't think twice if it was 200km (150mi) but we're talking 1100 miles here, that's quite a distance. And I am thinking of taking a frequent breaks to make sure temps are in check. I am planning on taking the thing to the shop to grease the bearings and make sure tires are going to hold up. I know that trailer has surge brakes and one of the brake lines is leaking so I'm planning to repair that as well before leaving. Gonna take a full set of tools with me along with some tire repair kits and portable compressor. Should be ok.... right?