DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Well I pretty much finished up yesterday evening after I got home. I lightly wet sanded the third brake light with 2000 grit and then polished it with the Mother's Ultimate compound. It took a lot of heavy polishing to clear the light back up after the sanding....so much that I considering not wet sanding the main brake lights. I ended up wet sanding the driver side because it had a few small pieces of trash in the clear coat. I sanded it very, very lightly and very, very little. Then I polished the crap out of it. I ended up reinstalling it last night but I still need to polish on it a little more. I had a really hard time polishing the fine scratches out of it from the wet sanding. The passenger side turned out really slick so I didn't sand it. I simply polished it with the compound and reinstalled. I checked it last night after dark and I can definitely tell the difference but the lights are still plenty bright. I'll try to get some pics with the lights on when I have time. Here's a few I took on my way out this morning.

The foggy looking spot on the top left corner of the close-up is not actually part of the finish....it's a little patch of condensation/dew that settled on the outside of the light overnight.

06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Looks great.

Jumping from 2000 to polishing compound can be tough if you don't have an electric buffer. Try to get some 2500 or 3000 or some rubbing compound, then go to polishing compound. It should be easier.

Also, make sure whatever rag you are using to polish isn't scratching the surface. I once buffed a paint job for hours not knowing why it wouldn't buff out then switched rags and it instantly came out like glass. Old plain white tshirts work well.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Thanks for the tips! I thought about using some Scratch-X but I honestly don't think it is any more abrasive than the Mothers compound. As for the cloth, I have been using a microfiber polishing cloth from Advance Auto. Microfiber shouldn't scratch but who knows what it's actually made out of, lol?
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
In my state I believe the law is that the light must be visibly illuminated red from 1,000 ft. Now that's very objective because at night it will pass for sure, during the day maybe....and in direct sunlight definitely not. I'd bet many stock cars wouldn't pass that test in direct sunlight...
Stock tail lights have to pass a DOT test. Tinted lights would never pass. I never hear of people getting tickets, but what keeps me from doing it is liability if I get rear ended. A good lawyer would have an easy case against me and I'm too poor to be able to pay a lawsuit.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:22 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Stock tail lights have to pass a DOT test. Tinted lights would never pass. I never hear of people getting tickets, but what keeps me from doing it is liability if I get rear ended. A good lawyer would have an easy case against me and I'm too poor to be able to pay a lawsuit.
I understand all that, was just saying that I looked up the laws online and that's what it said.

I hear you on the lawsuit thing. I guess I just don't care that much lol. My buddy got a ticket one time on school campus. Other than that no issues.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram QC
Color: Deepwater Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
tclark is on a distinguished road

The whole lawsuit thing is a biggy for me too but I was planning to upgrade to led's when I finally do it. I don't think I'm gonna go too dark with them but I never know whats gonna happen until I get started on a project so I guess we shall see.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 PM

They really aren't as dark as they look in those photos. I turned the lights on last night after dark and compared to my wife's tail lights sitting side by side and I could only barely tell a difference. The cargo lights on the third brake light even still completely illuminate the bed. I just got home tonight but I'll try my best to get some lighted pics tomorrow evening. I might go with LEDS eventually but for now I just put new standard bulbs in (the old ones were all nasty) and called it a day.

I still have a few more questions about LEDS. Superbrightleds offers several ranging from $12 to $25 each. Which one will work the best without breaking the bank? They also offer one that says its designed for the can-bus system.....isn't that what our trucks have? Would that prevent hyper flash?

Lastly, just out of interest....I noticed that someone is capitalizing on this idea. There is a seller on Ebay selling "professionally tinted" tails for third and fourth gens. Looks like they are running around $165 a set.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Spibiggie is on a distinguished road

Looks good!

Now throw some Plasti Dip on those emblems and complete the blackout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Well I pretty much finished up yesterday evening after I got home. I lightly wet sanded the third brake light with 2000 grit and then polished it with the Mother's Ultimate compound. It took a lot of heavy polishing to clear the light back up after the sanding....so much that I considering not wet sanding the main brake lights. I ended up wet sanding the driver side because it had a few small pieces of trash in the clear coat. I sanded it very, very lightly and very, very little. Then I polished the crap out of it. I ended up reinstalling it last night but I still need to polish on it a little more. I had a really hard time polishing the fine scratches out of it from the wet sanding. The passenger side turned out really slick so I didn't sand it. I simply polished it with the compound and reinstalled. I checked it last night after dark and I can definitely tell the difference but the lights are still plenty bright. I'll try to get some pics with the lights on when I have time. Here's a few I took on my way out this morning.

The foggy looking spot on the top left corner of the close-up is not actually part of the finish....it's a little patch of condensation/dew that settled on the outside of the light overnight.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:28
RedneckMechanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
I still have a few more questions about LEDS. Superbrightleds offers several ranging from $12 to $25 each. Which one will work the best without breaking the bank? They also offer one that says its designed for the can-bus system.....isn't that what our trucks have? Would that prevent hyper flash?
There was someone that posted on here about the light output from those LED bulbs. He was saying that unless they are putting out 400-600 lumens, you're better off sticking with stock bulbs. Or at least high output incandescent bulbs. He went through 8 different LED styles to make sure his test was accurate. I'm sure someone here has seen it and can point us in the right direction, I, myself, have been toying with the Nite-shade/LED setup, but that post got me thinking... Might just have to be a trial and error thing.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclark View Post
The whole lawsuit thing is a biggy for me too but I was planning to upgrade to led's when I finally do it. I don't think I'm gonna go too dark with them but I never know whats gonna happen until I get started on a project so I guess we shall see.
You could put HIDs in for your taillights and they would still technically be illegal. You still risk liability , because you destroy the taillight's reflective properties. It's a safety feature for when you're parked or if your lights went out on the way home.