DODGE RAM FORUM banner

'95 5.2L Engine Swap Concerns

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  OzPlanet 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I'm running the original 5.2L in my '95 1500. I know that '95 was the last year for the OBD1 and '96 was the first year for an OBD2. I wanna swap out my engine this next spring once the holidays are over. I've been looking into the 5.9L and have thought about going with a newer year of the engine. As far as swapping the engine goes, I know that most components of the 5.2 will hook right up to the 5.9L. My concern is the ECU and types of components like that. What components will require upgrading?

Also, I've THOUGHT about the 5.7L Hemi for it as well. Any suggestions/concerns/recommendations are greatly appreciated. I only plan on spending ROUGHLY $4k when I'm finished...

#2 ·
If you are sticking with the ODB1 then there is nothing to upgrade electrical. There are differences between the 5.2 and the 5.9. The Flywheel and Balancer is not the same make sure you have the one for the 5.9. Also, differences in stuff like the alternator and some of the pulleys. Keep the 5.2 around for parts until you get the 5.9 in and running.

If you are planning on upgrading to ODB2 then it's a big job it would be easier to buy an entire truck, there is so much difference.

A hemi upgrade using ODB1 would be difficult non of the sensors will fit at this point I would go to a carb set up :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.