DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
sbunker1 is on a distinguished road
Default condensor fan motor problem

My condensor fan was not running. I tapped it with a hammer and now it works. A brush must have gotten stuck as it wore down. Should I replace it now or wait for it to fail again. Some people have said they replaced the brushes in the motor. When I saw the youtube video on how to replace it, Im thinking if I go through all that, I will be putting in a new motor and not a rebuilt.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:28
RedneckMechanic is on a distinguished road

I'd just replace it. Easier in the long run. I think NAPA has it for about $100. My motor was broke when I bought the truck but didn't realize it. Couldn't figure out why the A/C worked when I was moving and got hot when I was sitting still. Just an FYI, the instructions tell you that you have to discharge the A/C system and disconnect the condenser in order to replace the motor/shroud assembly. After some inspection, it looks like you should be able to cut the shroud in a couple places to allow it to pass over the condenser lines. I haven't done it yet. Have other things to fix first now that summer is winding down...
Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Yea, you can do it without discharging the system. Here is a video.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:27 PM

Awesome! Thanks. Makes deciphering it on my own a little easier. Reps given for good info!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 PM

I just replaced it. (Keep in mind that I have a 2006 1500) The video is pretty helpful for removing it (watch it first) although I dont know if removing radiator bolts help very much. I dont know if the truck in the video have a battery box like my 2006. The relay box snaps into an extention of my battery box. Removing the relay box still left me an obstruction. I removed the bolt on the battery box where the relay box is and it allowed some movement (plastic bending type movement). After removeing all the bolts, I was able to fight the thing out. I removed the power plug last as it was to hard to get to. After removing the fan shroud, I transfered all the rubber hardware (dont forget the feet ate the bottom). Then I cut out the same piece that was cut for removal (plastic infront of upper refrigerent lines). Here is where i messed up. As much as i tried, I couldnt get it to go back together. Messed up a few fins on the back trying. I got frustrated and stopped for a smoke and a beer. I pulled it out and layed it next to the other shroud. It turns out that I needed to get a jig saw and modify the bottom to match the old one. I got it in finally and only 3 of the condensor bolts would line up. The top left one would not. I realized that the condensor wouldnt move back far enough. Then I looked at the old one and sure enough, there was some plastic that needed to be cut back on that. I wasnt going to pull it out again so I fought it up so I could get tin snips on it to remove some material so the it could move further back into the should and the bolt would line up. I then bolted everything up plugged in the power connection, put relay box and battery back in (the only reason that the battery is removed is to give you a spot to move the relay box into). I didnt realize that I would have to modify the shroud as much as I did. Just make sure you check it and compare it to the old one (yes, it said it was an exact fit for my truck). While I was at it, I replaced the blower resister (lost 3rd speed) everything is good and think the new condinser fan is moving more air than the old fan after I tapped it and got it working. Total time: 1.5 hours (I was not in a hurry and it took me awhile to figure out the additional retrofitting that I would have to do. Learn from my mistakes.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 SLE 5.7 HEMI 2DR
Trim Level: SLE
Color: Silver
Rep:10
PropaneDr is on a distinguished road

If you don't want to replace the whole fan assembly. You can just buy the motor. its $27.99 at autozone. you can replace the motor with out removing the whole fan. just unbolt the fan, clip the little plastic piece around the shroud where the a/c line runs through. move the fan shroud back far enough to get your hand in there. back out the bolt on the fan blade, drop the fan blade (not necessary to pull it out) take out the three bolts that hold the fan motor. the motor will come out through the back. unplug the harness and install new fan motor. The motor will come with new bolts and a round adapter that holds the fan in place. just bolt everything up and your good to go.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM

SWEET!! Might have to do that. Helluva lot cheaper than the $100 for the new fan assembly!!