DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express Crew
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
gurddg1 is on a distinguished road
Default First Drag Attempt

Debating taking my 2012 Express up to the dragway some time soon for the first time. What should i expect and any advice? Running 18" Magnaflow and K&N CAI 3.92 gears and LSD.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Advice:

1) Run it with tow/haul on
2) Don't pre-load the torque converter, it'll just bog on take off when the traction control system kicks in
3) Go around the water box, and don't do a burn out, especially on street tires, just chirp them in the box to clean off any rocks
4) Don't run your A/C or defrost, it can leave water on the track, which can spell disaster for guys with slicks behind you
5) In the staging lanes, don't run the engine, the heat soak will lower your ETs
6) Pay close attention to the guys who are running the track, they will direct you where to go
7) Be very careful at the end of the track, the vehicle in the lane closest to the turn off has the right of way, don't turn if you're in the outside lane before they do or you could be wearing a 9 second car in your side.
8) Don't talk sh!t about other vehicles, unless they are your friends, you're new there and you want to learn from these people.

For your ETs, you can look at 14s as very good times for a Crew cab, 15s are probably going to be your average for your first time out. The 13s you see guys talking about are in reg cab 2wds that weight almost 1000lbs less than our quad/crew cabs.

Most important, have fun, it can unfortunately be an addiction, and guys like me are all too willing to drop time and money to go faster. Best of luck
Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah you might get into the 14's but with a crew cab and first time I'd expect 15's.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:11
12RCRam is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Advice:

1) Run it with tow/haul on
2) Don't pre-load the torque converter, it'll just bog on take off when the traction control system kicks in
3) Go around the water box, and don't do a burn out, especially on street tires, just chirp them in the box to clean off any rocks
4) Don't run your A/C or defrost, it can leave water on the track, which can spell disaster for guys with slicks behind you
5) In the staging lanes, don't run the engine, the heat soak will lower your ETs
6) Pay close attention to the guys who are running the track, they will direct you where to go
7) Be very careful at the end of the track, the vehicle in the lane closest to the turn off has the right of way, don't turn if you're in the outside lane before they do or you could be wearing a 9 second car in your side.
8) Don't talk sh!t about other vehicles, unless they are your friends, you're new there and you want to learn from these people.

For your ETs, you can look at 14s as very good times for a Crew cab, 15s are probably going to be your average for your first time out. The 13s you see guys talking about are in reg cab 2wds that weight almost 1000lbs less than our quad/crew cabs.

Most important, have fun, it can unfortunately be an addiction, and guys like me are all too willing to drop time and money to go faster. Best of luck

CdnoilRAM, excellent write up! I've been thinking about trying a run or two with my truck, i'm 48 and have never been to a track but the folks I know who frequent the local track seem to be a good group and always have a great time. If I go i'll print out your list on cardstock, laminate it and keep it in the truck for a quick reference
Old 09-15-2012, 02:25 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: MagnaHEMI
Color: Deep Water Pearl Blue
Rep:120
KarateManAZ will become famous soon enoughKarateManAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Advice:

Hey Hey I take offence to that

And yeah when I was stock I ran right at 15.00
Oh Yeah its a MagnaHEMI 12.2@109
Old 09-15-2012, 06:40 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:639
chefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to all

also lower the rear air pressure about 5 lbs....
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH