DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Night Runner
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
gaugesmommy is on a distinguished road
Default 2006 Night Runner Time to go. But How?

I have a 2006 quad cab night runner. It has about 175k miles. Its in good shape. Usual wear and tear. Beautiful truck. We haven't seen another like it where we live in the last 3 years at least (since I have had it). I bought this truck for my husband and he passed last year. Our 2 small children have finally agreed to let it go to a new home. I desperately want to get rid of it, but I refuse to "give" it away. I know this is a gorgeous truck. I get comments on it all the time. But, I also know that it has A LOT of miles on it. How do I get rid of this truck, at a fair price, instead of just trading it in? I don't even know where to start. We have talked about craigslist and stuff like that, but I know there has to be other options. I don't know where to start on price, place, or anywhere. Do I even bother with it or do I just suck it up and trade it in? There has to be a better way! FYI, I have no sentimental connections with this truck. I'm tired of seeing it everyday and just want to move on. But, I don't want to (and won't) take a big loss on it. Any advice would be great! Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:1893
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

First off, sorry for your loss. Me and my siblings just lost our dad unexpectedly in April. His brand new (to us) 2009 dodge had to be given back to the bank because we couldn't afford the payments on it. It was an awesome truck and I wish I could have kept it, I ended up going out and getting a 2007 for myself with payments I could afford. Anyways....I had to sell my beloved 1998 f150 that I had put all this after market stuff on. I went with craigslist... first I looked up the kelly blue book value. Gives you a ballpark of how much the truck is worth. Then I was honest with myself saying it was only in a fair/slightly good condition, and added the prices of the brand new tires I just put on and all the aftermarket exhaust/audio. I highballed it, put it on craigslist and every two weeks, if I didn't get a hit...I dropped the price $500/800 until someone snagged it up. I sold it in 4 weeks. (Just be careful with scammers, if you won't me to let you in on some dead give aways that the potential buyer is a fake, let me know...) I hope this helps some!

Craigslist...only take cash...meet somewhere neutral if you are worried about someone knowing your address. Some people think craigslist is sketchy but i've done A LOT of transactions and they all went great!
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: Navy
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
tat2 is on a distinguished road

sorry for your loss! i wish i could be some help but i'm clueless also. best of luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:327
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

I too am sorry for your loss.

Deciding whether to sell your truck or trade it in really comes down to how much time and effort you have to put into the deal versus how much you stand to gain by selling rather than trading. I would start as gonefishin said by trying to determine an approximate private party value for your truck. Look it up on Kelly Blue Book. Research Craigslist and Autotrader for similar trucks. Just keep in mind that what they are priced at does not necessarily indicate what they are selling for. I think you can also use KBB to get a trade-in value for your vehicle. You could also take it to the dealer that you would trade with and simply let them appraise it and make an offer. It usually doesn't take more than 30 minutes and it is free with no strings attached. Once you have a rough idea how much you stand to gain by selling it outright versus trading, you can make a better decision about which will be best for you.

If you decide to sell, Craigslist and Autotrader are great options. Obviously, Craigslist is free but as was mentioned earlier you need to be cautious of scams. Meeting in a public place and only accepting cash are great ideas. If someone is trying to pitch some strange sounding story to you, it's probably BS. Autotrader is a good option too as you probably won't get the scam attempts. I haven't checked it lately but the last time I used Autotrader I think it was around $40-50. Also, if you aren't driving the truck, consider parking it out somewhere in a populated area with a big "for sale" sign. A big parking lot close to a well traveled road in town is usually a good bet. Just be sure it's a safe part of town, lol. You may also want to get permission from the lot owner or at least make sure you park it in a part of the lot that is seldom used.

Good luck with the sale. Hope this is some help.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you all for your help. I have taken it to the dealer and it just seems like they want me to give it to them (I know, I know). I have also looked on KBB and NADA. One of them doesnt give me the option for a night runner edition which is why I was so confused. I have had good luck with craigslist also but I haven't tried auto trader. Is it just for my city or can you search anywhere in the US for a truck you are looking for?

Thanks again!!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:327
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

Autotrader asks you for the zip code where the vehicle is located I believe but buyers can choose to search X miles from a given zip code. It goes from within 25 miles of a given zip code all the way to any distance. So technically, it would be visible to anyone searching within the correct parameters.

I don't know how much of a premium the Night Runner package would add to the truck. I could see it making the truck more unique and more desireable but to be honest, I don't know that I see it adding any large amount to the value, primarily because it's just an appearance package. Don't take me for fact though....just relaying my slightly educated guess, lol.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yes, you are correct. It is an appreance package. I really dont expect it to help much, but hopefully some. You have been very helpful and I greatly appreciate it!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Pete
Rep:11
T48 is on a distinguished road

I travel a lot & see cars parked along major highways for sale & they usually do not sit very long. I do not mean this in the wrong way at all, but if someone physically sees the truck driving past that may get them hooked. A ad that shows the mileage may make them pass. Ads are a numbers game in that respect where as road side is a tangible. Just a different angle to look at it.

Good luck with the sale.