DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Quad
Trim Level: SXT
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
KillJoy is on a distinguished road
Default Frost on inside interior windshield condensation on Sunny Cold Days - fogging

Hi all,

Note: This is Major condensation. You swipe the interior windshield ever so slightly it will drip!

I am getting a frustrating interior / inside frosting condensation issue after parking my Truck during a sunny cold day while at work. It does not happen at night. It only happens when the sun warms up the cab.
I have been doing a lot of research on this issue so here are some points.

1. It has been to the dealer for a leak test. 3rd party checked under the carpets, brake light and such and could not find any leaks. I checked under the carpets, by removing the plastic moldings no leaks. Also they checked the A/C drain plug by running it, I saw it drip. Only question is there sufficient flow?
Carpets underneath NOT wet
Sound Insulation underneath NOT wet
3rd Brake Light, Re-Sealed Checked
Rear cub holes under Rear Seat NOT wet
A/C Drain hole tested. It was dripping.

2. I use window defrost with fresh air and A/C on (NOT Recirculate) in the colder months.

3. I do not have open Soda cups or slush / water / snow in my floor mats.

4. I have got the HVAC recall done. I have tested the actuators and they seem to working appropriately when the truck is running. I.e. recirculate / fresh air and defog / feet / etc. The Service manager also assured me the StarScan tool tested the actuators.

5. I only get this issue after parking in the sunny on a cold day. During the day it does not happen while the sun is on the CAB. Once the sun is not on the CAB it the condensation starts.

6. I do not smell anti-freeze, there is no oily residue. I have cleaned my interior windows.

7. I used anti-fog on part of the window. This is not a solution b/c the window is really wet on this side as well.

8. There is no mold / musty smell in the truck.

9. Also if there is enough of a Temp Change, this will migrate to all the other windows. To add sometimes I see some condensation / fog on my side window.

This does not happen on cloudy days. To me it seems that the interior cab warms up enough with the sun shining and there is always enough condensation to cover the windshield and it takes like 10 minutes to remove. But to me it seems like it has to be a large amount of water somewhere maybe in the Evaporation / Heater box?

I took out the glove box, and I noticed that my truck was parked and the bellow controlling the HVAC was on recirculate. I wonder if this is sealing my truck up so much to cause this issue. But I don’t know where all the moisture is coming from????
I took out the HVAC fan and felt around and I have not seen or felt any water.

The Truck
2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Quad SXT.
7000 KMS
I drive it every day 15 KM to and from work.

Here is the Large Image
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7024/6...9329a805_b.jpg

Hopefully you guys can help me, b/c when I get frost on the interior window after coming from work it drives me nucking futs.

Regards,
Anthony

Last edited by KillJoy; 12-13-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

I tried that stuff and it seemed to make it worse. try some non- streak glass cleaner and some newspaper. that solved my my issues! good luck!

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

If regular glass cleaner does not work, try measuring the humidity in the truck.

Start with the truck cold, doors closed tight. Then start the truck and warm it up, with the defrost fully on.

You may be getting excess condensation, water or ice down inside your cowl vent and it's getting into the HVAC vents.

Also, check your HVAC system/ducting drains. They could be plugged and you have water trapped in the ducts.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

I'm at a loss for words! Never seen this on a new truck before. A buddy had an old beater this would happen to all the time but he had a leaking back window seal and the back carpet was always soaked. Try leaving your window cracked a hair, just enough so you can get air movement out of the truck. Your getting moisture in there somehow, it for sure has a leak plus what Michael said!

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Last edited by Stump3r; 12-12-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Maddog beat me to the post!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey guys thanks for your replys.

Please NOTE I have updated the orignal post.

Also this is Major Condensation. Cleaning the windows won't help.

At this point here are my next steps unless somebody has some tips.

1.) I bought a borescope usb camera with LED lights and once it is delivered I will try and look at the evap / heater box through the vents.

2.) I may take out my carpets. Water flows down hill right???? maybe it's flowing somewhere.

3.) Also I bought a USB Humidity temp monitor to track it in more detail.

Regards,
Anthony
Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
rettus72 is on a distinguished road
Default same issue

I thought i was the only one with this issue and figured there was something damaged to allow the moisture in. This only happens when in sunlight like is mentioned earlier. It is a pain in the but having to wait for the windows to clear up. I also did notice the brackets holding the seats to the floor have surface rust on them. There is no area on the floor where it is wet, or damp.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Since my last post i have done the cabin filter mod, and there was no moisute inside the duct area by the blower motor.
any help would be appriciated.
thanks Joel
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default found my problem

So today at work i decided to back in to my parking spot. I parked at an angle to keep the front end low and the rear of the truck elevated. After about 4 hours like this i went and checked the vehicle and to my suprise, i had a small swimming pool on the rear floor on the drivers side. see attached picture. i searched some more and noticed both seats around the headrest had several droplets of water on them. it appears to be leaking at the roof seal, not the light and on both sides.

well needles to say this 2010 ram is going to get traded in... no more dodge for me. thanks for the help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1327862708043.JPG (33.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

WOW,

I haven't checked this post in a while.

When you say roof seal do you mean rear top window seal?

I'm going to test this today.

Regards,
Anthony
Old 12-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

2010 Rams, as well as other years, the 3rd brake light leaking is a common issue
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle