DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

I made it the 3 miles to the interstate before I let it rip. I want to know every limitation early. Last one was 8 years old and only went to the dealer for a seat cover.
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

New car engines are broken in before they are ever put into the car, so no need to really worry about it. The first 500-1,000 miles of an engines life can still dictate longevity, performance, etc but it's minor compared to how it was years ago. Just don't buy a new car and beat the hell out of it. Don't baby it either. Just drive it normal.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

The break in period is more for the gears then anything. They need to be work hardened to maximize their long term life. That is the primary reason they don't want you doing WOT in low gear for the first few hundred miles and the main reason for accelerating and decelerating during the initial period. For all intents and purposes, the modern engine is broke in by time you get it.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:83
SFVDOC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerPo View Post
So I've put 275 city miles with short bursts of WOT around town. Can I take it on a 30 mile freeway drive yet? I'd like to start driving her to work this week! But I know the break in is important.
yeah, why not? I picked up my truck in Landcaster and drove back on the 14 frwy to L.A. Truck had 6 miles on the odo when I left the dealership. No worries.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

the only thing the manual says is no towing for the first 500 miles. I drove my truck from TX to FL within 3 days of buying it.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
the only thing the manual says is no towing for the first 500 miles. I drove my truck from TX to FL within 3 days of buying it.
Actually my manual says:

A long break in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500km). After the initial 60 miles (100km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desireable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avioded.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a hugh-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anitcipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to "Maintaining your vehicle." NON-DETERGENT OR STRAIGHT MINERAL OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.

A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) or operation. This shoould be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as an indication of difficulty.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:55 AM

CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the correction. all I could remember was the no towing part. but the way they worded that breakin is very subjective so I think the OP will be ok. What's moderate to one person might not be the same to another.

CAUTION:
Avoid towing a trailer for the first 500 miles (805 km) of vehicle operation. Doing so may damage your vehicle.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
Thanks for the correction. all I could remember was the no towing part. but the way they worded that breakin is very subjective so I think the OP will be ok. What's moderate to one person might not be the same to another.

CAUTION:
Avoid towing a trailer for the first 500 miles (805 km) of vehicle operation. Doing so may damage your vehicle.
Wasn't trying to correct lol. Just saying what mine said. It has the no towing in another part of the manual.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM

your post for break-in was in mine too but I either never read it or forgot that I did. lol
Old 09-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=snrusnak;892878]New car engines are broken in before they are ever put into the car, so no need to really worry about it. QUOTE]

Really? Do you have anything to post that shows that?