DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:77
Doom4life will become famous soon enough
Default New 2012 and noticing imperfections.. what to do.

Picked up my '12 Ram Sport 4x4 Monday night and loved it from the start. However, I've noticed a few imperfections/defects and would like some input as to what would be "reasonable" (ie what other people would do). It's dark right now, but I will post pictures tomorrow of the following:

I noticed the next day there is a minor mark on the Dodge thing above the media centre/navigation screen. It's like a minor scuff or something.

On the exterior, on the pillar between the rear passenger window and the box, there is an indent in the paint. At first I thought it might be a fish eye, but it looks more like a weld point or rivet that wasn't fully finished before painting.

On the sunroof, there is a long scratch that runs in an arc about 3/4 the length of the sunroof from the front to the back.

In the front drivers side door jamb, there is this weird soft glob of something that has paint over it.

So what should I do? I doubt the dealership would take it back as I'm sure they would offer to replace the sunroof (reasonable) and repaint that wierd spot on the pillar (I'm not sure how I feel about repainting so early on).
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2012, 02:24 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Take it back to the dealer, be as nice as possible. Tell them exactly what your telling us. Or you can call Chrysler directly. Personally I don't like dealing with small fish, I prefer going straight to the top.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:54 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Yea, I'd take her back ASAP! So they don't think it was your doing and get them to correct those area's
Let us know how you make out with this
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 09-22-2012, 02:59 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

Yep, keep your cool you will get better help that way. It sucks and I hate to say this but sometimes the fix is worse so ask a ton of questions about how they will fix the issue. Useally they try the easy way out first with their fingers crossed. Good luck to you.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:01 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:77
Doom4life will become famous soon enough

Took some pictures at night. Couldn't get the mark on the Dodge logo to show and the paint imperfection, but I did get a picture of the glob and scratched sunroof.

The glob:

The scratch on the sunroof:

Mind the dust lol.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Take it back to the dealer, i believe that the scratch can be buffed out
that gob looks hideous

stop by a auto parts store & buy a tire marker pen, it is white grease marker, i believe

when you drop it off, circle every thing that you notice that you don't like

FIRST thing to do is completely hand wash your RAM
during the washing & drying process, you will see any imperfections

I just had some damage fixed on my Ram, the paint & auto body shop told me to hand wash it & write down anything that they may have missed
Sure enough, i found some bubbles & places that i found still only had primer on it, between the fender & hood, in that place that you really don't notice until the hood is raised

If you mark every imperfection, they can't say that they missed that area
they will say that certain areas are considered acceptable & no matter how much you holler, they won't do anything about it
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-22-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Rep:47
GhostR1der is on a distinguished road

I hand wash my ram only and it's true you find everything that way. I have paint problems as well and when I took it to my local dealer to have it looked at they told me that my challenger hood was an aftermarket hood so therefore they would not cover it. I was like wtf my hood is a factory option and they disagreed so I just walked off lol. I seriosly have the worst dealer in history. I bought my truck over an hour away for this reason and I have to take it all the way back to them to get anything looked at. My paint problems are my hood is gold from the primer showing through the paint. I thought it was dirt until I washed it and couldn't get it off. Then I have purple metal flake on the driver side front of the bed. One other thing my WHOLE truck is orange peeled really bad but looking at most trucks from dodge they all are.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 DODGE RAM SPORT 1500
Trim Level: SPORT EXPRESS
Color: TEQUILA SUNRISE PEARL
Rep:10
BEACHFRONTARTIST is on a distinguished road

Had imperfections...took it to the dealer and all was buffed out. My paint problems were from shipping. The dealership didn't want to repaint. Its ok now! But take it back right away.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:26
Miami Son is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom4life View Post
Took some pictures at night. Couldn't get the mark on the Dodge logo to show and the paint imperfection, but I did get a picture of the glob and scratched sunroof.

The glob:
That is just excess sealant and since it isn't exterior they won't do anything about this. The sunroof scratch is another story. I would insist that they replace it if it can't be buffed out.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

Here we go again. So far this thread has not turned into a rant. Unfortunately you were one of us who's Ram has paint issues. First, it's your truck and no way will there be a buy back. The advice offered so far has been great. Your dealer will most likely be willing to work with you. You will have to decide what you want done and yes, the fix sometime is worse than the original issue.

It is quite likely that you will have to live with the scuff on the dash. I just scuffed the dash on my Ram. The hard vinyl scuffs very easily. Don't rub it to try to remove it. Try applying quality protectant and call it good enough. The Mopar protectant is good, but smells terrible.

The scratch on the sun roof can probably be buffed out, but you still may notice it when you look at it closely.

The pillar depression is something probably something you will have to live with.

The glob.....don't know what to suggest. If it is an area that you and your passengers don't see, I'd suggest living with it.

My reasons of living with these issues is that your truck is dark metallic blue. From my own past experiences with repaints, I have found that colors like this are terribly hard to get a "perfect" match.

I was really PO'd about the quality of the paint on my Ram. I decided to correct what could be corrected without repainting. The paint on my Ram is still not "perfect" but I'm the only one who notices it. Most folks would say that I have one fine looking truck.....and it is.

My Ram now has almost 9000 miles on it. During this time, I've experienced a few "oops's". Perfection does not work well with daily drivers.

Let us know how you work this out.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's