DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

tguil, you said it perfectly if I may say so myself bud! As a daily driver, babies hauler, trail/mud stomper, and boat tower; good enough appearance is, is a good enough appearance does. Rock chips, kids lunch box scraches, wifes nail and ring scratches; no one else notices these but me. So I join the majorities concensus and just back up, look at my Ram from a distance and say, to hell with it, Damn! She looks BADASS!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:186
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

Have to agree with the rest, take it in and let the dealer fix it and if not contact Chrysler.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

Gantman,

I don't go quite that far. Most often when I trade off a vehicle it looks almost as good as when I bought it. Only difference is a few buffed out scratches, paintless dent removal experiences, touched up rock chips,etc. No muddin' , but eight miles of gravel road almost daily. Detailed every couple of months. No kids so no lunch buckets. Not too many scuffs and scratches from my wife. But I'd drive the thing.....usually trade at about 100,000 miles.

Main thing is not good things happen to good vehicles if you drive them. If you are a perfectionst like me, life is not always good. Gantman, I like your attitude, but it just doesn't fit me.

An interesting comment from another thread: Don't go looking for snakes. You might find some.

I mess a lot on a couple of other truck enthusiast forums...Toyota and Ford. All vehicles have paint problems. Some more than others. But based on my forum surfing, Chryler and Ram seem to have more than Ford and Toyota. Just saying.

The most important thing is how to deal with the problem. I bought a new Silverado in 1994. It had a major stamping flaw in a quarter panel....really major. Decided to live with it rather than press for body work and a repaint. Decided to trade it within a year. That year stretched to four years and 95,000 miles. Funniest thing nobody noticed the flaw except me.

I have had only one "perfect" American made vehicle in fify years of buying new vehicles...a 1998 Ford Expedition. Hit a deer two weeks after bringing it home.

Back to the OP....hang in there. These less than perfect Rams are indeed BADASS trucks.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 09-22-2012, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Take it back to the dealer, i believe that the scratch can be buffed out
that gob looks hideous

stop by a auto parts store & buy a tire marker pen, it is white grease marker, i believe

when you drop it off, circle every thing that you notice that you don't like

FIRST thing to do is completely hand wash your RAM
during the washing & drying process, you will see any imperfections

I just had some damage fixed on my Ram, the paint & auto body shop told me to hand wash it & write down anything that they may have missed
Sure enough, i found some bubbles & places that i found still only had primer on it, between the fender & hood, in that place that you really don't notice until the hood is raised

If you mark every imperfection, they can't say that they missed that area
they will say that certain areas are considered acceptable & no matter how much you holler, they won't do anything about it

Totally agree with this
Old 09-22-2012, 03:31 PM

...and if the service manager or body shop manager tells you that you take a chance of "making it worse" if a repair/repaint is made, go to another shop and get an opinion from the folks there. The folks at your dealer may be right, but they may not be too. I have had repairs/repaints that were actually worse than the original problem, especially with metallic paints, even when the work was done by high quality shops.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 09-22-2012, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

Paint imperfections are almost unavoidable. Paints are waterbased these days due to EPA regs. I believe that is the reason, someone correct me if I am wrong. My last ride was a 2011 Scion Tc, black on black. The paint was so soft that any bugs, rocks hit at highway speeds caused chips. It was common throughout the Scion community. When I traded it in on the Express, fortunately I only found one small ding in the driver side door right before I got in it to drive away. They immediately took ti back to the body shop and popped it out. No sign of the dent now. Then on my first hand wash I noticed my metallic paint was tiger striped on the roof and hood. 99% of people would never see it, so I am just going to live with it. So far my painted front bumper has held up 10X better than the Scion's did. Legendary Toyota quality...pfft! That was my second and last Yota product. It had so many mechanical issues wrong with it from the factory it was ridiculous. Pretty much every other Scion owner had the same complaints I did. Manual tranny synchros were god awful. Second gear was useless in weather below 40F. It refused to go in gear. Passenger rear tire had almost 2 degrees of negative camber while the driver side had -0.5 degrees. Guess what? No adjustment to correct the alignment and Scion did not care. They said it was in tolerance! Yet they released new longer upper control arms for the passenger side starting late 2012 which fixed the issue... They were a few more issues as well, too much imo for a $22K car. Point of my ramble is, almost no sub $50K automobile is going to be perfect. Especially since a lot of these Dodge trucks are coming from Mexico. Land of quality products! Lol
As others have said, take it back and tell them your issues and go from there.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:40 PM

Several forum members report that the Rams from south of the border actually have better paint. The factory is more up to date.

According to what I have read, the paint problems are indeed at least partly the result of having to use both water-based paint and clearcoat. They dry more slowly than solvent based paint/clearcoat allowing time for more dust, etc. get into the paint. But still Chysler/Ram needs to resolve the problem.

As far as Toyotas, we have had five Tacomas. I have always carefully detailed them under detailing lights. No paint problems...nada. Just saying'. Only problem with Tacomas....no HEMI.

Last edited by tguil; 09-22-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Trim Level: express
Color: black
Rep:10
express yourself is on a distinguished road

I have a depression on my pillar as well, it had some caulk like crap in it ,and looked like a smuge. I used a microfiber cloth and detail spray, and it exposed the depression. It is more noticeable looking down the body line.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:25
shadango is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
As a daily driver, babies hauler, trail/mud stomper, and boat tower; good enough appearance is, is a good enough appearance does. Rock chips, kids lunch box scraches, wifes nail and ring scratches; no one else notices these but me. So I join the majorities concensus and just back up, look at my Ram from a distance and say, to hell with it, Damn! She looks BADASS!

Everyone wants "perfect"....at least immediately after we plunk down our hard earned cash. We have been trained that way as a society....We EXPECT it. We never get it, but we EXPECT it.

Ask anyone who has had their vehicle for a year or so if they are getting that ding they picked up at the Walmart lot or the scratch they got while squeezing through some crush on a tight back road/trail fixed.....MOST will let these issues go unless they are really anal retentive and flush with cash since it will come from their pocket.

But immediately after we pick up a new product (any product) we ALL scan it for problems. Sometimes we live with them, and sometimes not.

You have to decide for yourself how much is acceptable to YOU.

That glob? Its seam sealer or panel adhesive and not a huge deal. You can cut it off with a razor blade probably and touch it up..thats all the dealer will do.

The scratch? They will buff it out or repaint it. You wont get a new truck for a scratch.

And even if they DID give folks new trucks for scratches and small blemishes like you describe, what do you think would happen? Do you think they would send it to the crusher? Hell no.... Damage happens to new vehicles in transit or in in the lot all the time....they repaint or buff the problem out and put it back on the lot and the customer has no idea.

Here is my story as far as "defects"....

I picked up my ram in the evening and we didnt notice a scuff/dent in the front bumper plastic fascia...I saw it first thing in the morning the next day.....a sunday......Emailed the dealer and they took care of me. I insisted on NO putty or paint, so they swapped in a fascia from another silver truck. I verified they did that, but i also realized that they will just repair the other one and put it back on the other truck. So now my fascia was perfect. A few weeks later I am installing a Westin light bar on teh front and I accidentally gouged the fascia with the light tab on the light bar......it left a nice guge in teh plastic and chipped the paint. So much for my "perfect" fascia. To Repair it means some putty and paint. ironic aint it? LOL. Well, I do not plan on repairing it for at least a while...stuck one of those bullet hole stickers on it and me and the kids get a laugh from it.

My front bumper was crooked and it turns out that it needed more than adjusted....after adjustment it was no longer flush with the front fascia, which to me was very obvious....the frame horn in the front appears to have been short by about a 1/4". After going back and forth on what to do, we settled on they would make a spacer plate to bring the bumper out so it was flush with the front of the fascia. Everything is not straight and looks great, though the drivers side of the bumper sits slightly forward of the arc of the wheel well whereas its perfect on the other side.

At first that bugged me, but after looking around at many other new Rams with the chrome bumper on front, I saw that at least half of them have the SAME ISSUE.

So I settled for it as-is, and Chrysler/the dealer added tow hooks and skid plates to make up for the trouble. They truly did want to make sure i was happy. (Great dealer!).

Then, a week or so ago, I took the truck on vacation and took a trail through some bushes that were closer than I thought....nice scrtaches down each side. I have buffed 99% of them out but if I look hard enough I can find remnants. But from 10 feet you cannot see them.

All this in the first less than 6 months of ownership. I will not be pleased when I get the first door ding from a parking lot. LOL But it will happen.

My point is that while we can expect a "perfect" vehicle, that just isnt going to happen when buying an off-the-lot, production line assembled vehicle. Anyone who tells you that you can is either naive or blowing smoke. And even if you do get a perfect vehcile when brand new, if you drive the thing it wont be perfect for long unless you plan on spending a LOT of cash for paint chip and ding repair as those things happen.

Its just the level of imperfections you are willing to accept and that is always subjective.

I think the BIGGEST lesson to be learned in all of these 'I found a scratch/glob of sealant/dust nib/fish eye/thin paint spot' threads is this: If you expect perfection, ensure perfection BEFORE you sign on that dotted line in the daytime and under shop lights. If the dealer wont allow that, walk. And if you find defects you cannot live with walk and pick another vehicle. Because once you own that vehicle it becomes much more difficult a set of options.

If it were me, I would have them buff the sunroof (you will never see it anyways) not repaint...and leave the glob alone.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:77
Doom4life will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone for all the input. Haven't had the time to go to the dealer (been too busy), but the dealership does have a 90 day policy on any paint and body defects (one of the reasons why I was willing to pick it up at night).

While I agree that as a daily driver vehicle, it is a bit assanine to expect a perfect vehicle that will just end up getting rock chips and scratches a like. But I do ask, if you were to drop down $1,000 (chump change compared to a Ram) on a new TV and unpacked it only to find a nice sized scuff/scratch what would you do? Myself, I'd probably take pictures, or take it back and ask for a bit of a deal - after all you watch the screen not the other parts.

The glob looks hideous, but if the solution is to cut it off and put some touch up paint, is that a better fix than leaving it as is since then you are comprimising the original paint finish? The only thing I would be worried about is it holding moisture in and allowing for rust to form.

The mark on the dash again, the only way to fix it would probably be to replace the dash which even I think would be a bit unreasonable.

The paint indent on the pillar, I finally managed to grab a picture here:

(you can see it if you following the roof line on the house).

Again, what would be the fix for this? Repaint which again is something that I'd rather not have to do for something so minor on a factory paint job.

The only thing that really erks me is that scratch on the sunroof. I had two deep scratches on the rear window of my Dakota when I bought it used and the dealer gave me an extra $1,000 off for it. I think I would definately consider an accesory or two if the dealer offered it to me to solve the scratch problem.

The only other thing I noticed was that part of the white lettering on one of the tires isn't white (its black). I haven't curbed the tires and there doesn't appear to be any visible indication of any previous damage. It's either a coating that hasn't come off yet or the white part got rubbed off. It's pretty minor and I was curious if anyone knows if there is a white marker or anything that can be used to make that spot white (usually I have the black sidewall as I do offroad).