DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: LoneStar
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
BigHornz is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't even bother with it man. I found a few things wrong with my paint / windshield and dash. I've come to love those things that make my truck, mine.

Like other people have said, if you're going to look for problems you might regret you did.

Just live with those few imperfections and move forward. There is no reason to become obsessed with the truck. It's not going to be perfect forever.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

Luckily you have a tire builder paying attention to your thread. The white letters come from using white rubber in the sidewall. It's a manufactuer defect period. I work for Bridgestone and we scrap tires for that condition! No joke! If there is one spot of black showing through the white letters, the tire gets cut with a razor knife. Then it gets ground up for use in asphalt and other recycled goods.
Tire sidewall construction for white letters is like so
Layer of black
Layer of white
Another layer of black
That is all one piece that is wrapped around the side of the tire and spliced together. When the tire comes out of the mold it is all black letters that are trimmed roughly 2-3mm's by a laser guided trimmer. This exposes the white rubber making the white letters.If the splice is not positioned correctly on the tire before it goes into the mold, then the machine that grinds the sidewall lettering down does it's job, there will be black showing like you have.
Anyways the Dodge dealer or one of the tire retail stores, I am assuming it is Goodyear WILL replace that tire. They simply missed it during the quality inspection or the inspector did not care. OE tires are suppossed to be damn near perfect, they have much tighter tolerances vs. off the shelf retail tires.
If a Bridgestone tire is returned for a quality problem like your's, we loose bonus pay. Bad tires literally goes back to the plant that made them so they can lash us for the mistake.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

I don't think it is anywhere near asinine. Sticker on my truck was 45,000, and let me tell you what, if it wasn't perfect or damn close I would be taking it back and they would be fixing any and all issues I have. I would not be buffing or scraping a damn thing. I have returned household appliances and clothing for less.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

But as I mentioned before sometimes the fix is worse than the original problem....lots of experience with this

I am very much a perfectionist. Been that way all of my life. I use my "toys" but I take care of them. My vehicles are always in as good of shape as possible. Heck, I even detail my acreage tractor.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting near "perfection" in our new vehicles. With Chrysler/Ram, high quality paint seems to be "hit or miss". I've purchased three new Rams...2003, 2007 and 2012. My 2007 was deivered in excellent condition...one run in a door jamb and four dust nibs, very little orange peel. Can't say the same for my 2003 and 2012.

To the OP: The dash - try a bit of interior protectant to mask the scuff.
The sunroof - try a good buff job first.
The pillar - if it has been caused by something hitting the panel, try paintless dent repair. If it is a rivit or stamping flaw, I suggest living with it.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Smile Same boat

Hey pal you could go back over some of my old posts in regards to these issues. I too had paint issues, a ding in my drivers door & a piece of plastic on the center console that wasn't the right color. I marked all my body / paint issues that I noticed w/ tape & wrote a list describing the problems. I got the truck back w/ the issues kind of fixed & a call that I had to make to chrysler to see how they were gonna help out w/ the issues. I was told by a chrysler case manager & I quote. " since the dealer is happy w/ the repairs then so are we"! I was & still am pissed. I went to a separate dealer to pursue the center console fix & they did so w/out issue. All I can say pal is good luck, I hope they do right by you & fix everything. I was traditionally a GM guy. This is my first chrysler product. I'm loving my truck but kinda regretting it in a way. I intend to keep this truck for a long time cause it's sentimental to me. But this may very well be my first & last chrysler product. Oh by the way my truck is a 2012 spec ordered truck that went from plant to dealer only after I ordered it to my liking & then picked up by me & the fam. So not what one would expect from a brand new vehicle!

Last edited by Hemi N Haw; 09-23-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: additions
Old 09-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:14
RamRodSport is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostR1der View Post
I hand wash my ram only and it's true you find everything that way. I have paint problems as well and when I took it to my local dealer to have it looked at they told me that my challenger hood was an aftermarket hood so therefore they would not cover it. I was like wtf my hood is a factory option and they disagreed so I just walked off lol. I seriosly have the worst dealer in history. I bought my truck over an hour away for this reason and I have to take it all the way back to them to get anything looked at. My paint problems are my hood is gold from the primer showing through the paint. I thought it was dirt until I washed it and couldn't get it off. Then I have purple metal flake on the driver side front of the bed. One other thing my WHOLE truck is orange peeled really bad but looking at most trucks from dodge they all are.
I noticed that all the silver and mineral gray Sport/Challenger hoods on the lot were blotchy and looked like not enough paint was put on when I was looking at getting mine, almost like they were painted separately from the actual vehicle then added on later. They did not have a Red sport on the lot so mine was ordered and when I got it that’s the first thing I looked at and it looks really great… has a few flaws by the fake induction vents but other than that I can live with it.
Previous RAMs:
Red 2002 4x2 Quad Cab Sport in Flame Red, 1996 4x4 Etended Cab Sport in Emerald Green Matalic
Other Car: 2009 Factory JCW MINI Cooper
Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:77
Doom4life will become famous soon enough

So I had time today to stop in at the dealership.

My salesman put me in touch with the service manager and I showed him the things that I have noticed (and mentioned in this thread).

After showing the scratch on the sunroof, I was told it's minimal but was told they would take care of it. The paint indentation on the rear passenger pillar is minor and not worth going through the hassle of repainting (which I agree but I am thinking maybe they could throw something in to offset that defect). The glob in the front drivers side door is actually disintegrating and IMO I think it needs to be properly taken care of. Without removing it and playing around, I worry that removal (which is what I would like) will take off some of the underlying paint. I also noticed that the edge of the drivers side door has a bit of the material attached to it as well:

Yes, it's that ugly thing sticking out around the area of the reflection of my flash.

I also pointed this out which is just above the area shown in the picture above (could this be a rock chip?):

Service manager said they could apply some touch up paint to make it less noticeable, but as I mentioned before, I'm thinking about asking for a respray to properly remove all off that glob related material (found int he door and along the edge). Doing that would probably also fix that scratch as it's only about 4-6" away.

I also pointed out a huge crack in the passenger side bed rail cap which he ordered a new one right away.

I showed the tire (thanks S.C. Express for the tip) and they are going to try and scrub the missing white areas to see if they can expose it, if not they are going to get Goodyear to take care of it.

I asked if anything could be thrown in to offset the hassle and also for any paint defects that won't get fixed (eg that indent in the pillar) and I was directed to speak to my salesman, who, told me I'd have to speak to the manager as he has no authorization to do such things. I see now why it was mentioned earlier in this thread that some just deal with corporate rather then the dealership for matters like this.

So, on my way home I was resting my thumb on the left shiny part of the console shifter and moving it around in circles when I noticed an area kept grabbing my skin. Thinking it was just somethign sticky, I used a spare napkin with water and wiped it. Tried it again and I could feel it with my skina nd also my nail. When I got home, a nice scratch in the middle of the left side of the shifter:

What is up with this truck and scratches!

I've been very anal about making sure I always drive the truck with clean hands (don't want to ruinthe leather steering wheel), so there is no way I did. I am thinking of asking for this to get replaced unless it can be polished out (which I doubt as I am assuming it is just a coating over plastic or metal which will probably start to eventually degrade. Either way, it is noticeable with your finger.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

I have never received a "freebie" other than an oil change for an inconvenience that I have experienced from either a dealer or corporate. Good luck.

Take a good look at that all the "sparkles" in your pretty blue paint. They make "perfect" spray touch-up very hard to do. Best to let one of their best techs touch it up with a brush or do it yourself. If you are as anal as you say you are you might actually do it yourself. (I have "anal tendencies" and no tech can do a better touch up than I can.)

You maybe scratched the shifter yourself. The interior plastic in these trucks scratches very easily...even when you are being careful.

As an aside...Perfectionists should not buy vehicles with metallic paint. Just sayin'.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's

Last edited by tguil; 09-25-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:25
shadango is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguil View Post
Perfectionists should not buy vehicles with metallic paint. Just sayin'.
....or AT NIGHT.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:77
Doom4life will become famous soon enough

Haha yeah my next purchase will probably be during the day. Truth be told, I was in a rush to get rid of my old Dakota that was starting to have mechanical problems (and had existing ones).

Regardless, I love the truck and I'm finding the dealership is pretty easy to work with regarding parts that can be easily replaced (they ordered a new gear shifter for me over the phone and that scratch is way to deep for me to have caused it).

I am still going to call Chrysler regarding the drivers side door as that doesn't sit well with me and lets face it, who would have though to inspect the door jambs, lol!