DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Larimie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
stevenw56 is on a distinguished road
Default ECO light

I have a 2011 Laramie crew 4x4 with about 11000 miles. Until recently, when cruising on the interstate at 70 mph my ECO light would always come on. Now under the same conditions it rarely comes on at that speed. It will come on at around 60 mph and under.

Any ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember, the ECO light on your Ram, & the Fuel Saver light on the '09s
is just sort of a pat on your back or an attaboy
It only means that you are driving your vehicle as efficiently as possible, at the current conditions
It does Not mean that anything else is right or wrong

Try driving at 70 MPH, no strong winds, fairly flat land, with Cruise Control ON

Here it was quite Warm, 78 MPH, cruise control set
Notice the Fuel Saver ( ECO ) indicator light

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram
Rep:10
flaboater1 is on a distinguished road

I have also found that the higher my average MPG (the bar on the display) the less my ECO icon comes on. I think it has to do with whether your current MPG is a % better than the average.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodgr Ram 1500
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Hoovie is on a distinguished road
Default Eco light

T thought the ECO light, only lights up when your MDS shuts down 4 cylinders. I think the engine ECM determines that by how hard your engine is working at that time. I have found that at 70 MPH, in cruise control, that my ECO light comes on only when going down hill.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The ECO light only means that you are driving in the most efficient manner possible

It really has nothing to do with the MDS, 4 or 8 cylinder mode

It may seem funny, but you can't stop unless you are moving
MDS can only work in Drive, when no real torque is needed
the ECO light can only work in Drive & in 4 cylinder mode

where the ECO mode is dependent on the MDS
MDS will function perfectly without the ECO light ever coming on
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodgr Ram 1500
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Hoovie is on a distinguished road
Default ECO Light

GTYanke, your right. Eco only means your driving in the most fuel efficient manner. Since my ECO light only comes on when driving downhill on the highway, I'll assume that I cannot get good fuel economy on the highway. Must be something wrong with that as I get between 17mpg and 21mpg.
ECO light does come on with city driving though. By the way I figure my fuel economy with a stubby pencel during refueling, always comes out 1 to 1.5 gallons per mile different then my EVIC.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:106
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

"The ECO light only means that you are driving in the most efficient manner possible"

That doesn't make sense. Since it comes on when you let up on the pedal going down a hill and turns off when your are climbing a hill, it obviously is not showing when you are driving in the most efficient manner possible. It takes energy to go up hills and less to go down them. Hills are hills. Maybe it's a hill indicator?
Does anyone know what the measured inputs are, that drive the indicator?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Larimie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
stevenw56 is on a distinguished road

Per my original post. I realized something and didn't put 2 and 2 together but it's undeniable. When I first got the truck new, I always used high grade fuel. The ECO light was always on cruising flat ground at 70 mph and even faster. Lots of flat ground in Florida. When fuel priced went through the roof I switched to regular fuel. That's when the ECO light stopped coming on under same road and speed conditions. Recently I switched back to high grade fuel. The ECO light is now back on at highway speeds. I don't know the reasoning behind it but it's definitely made a difference. And the better fuel mileage using high grade is noticeable also. Not sure if the cost vs better mileage is worth it but I will continue to use high grade because the truck performs better.