DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Faded green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
bigroblee is on a distinguished road
Default Stereo "oval" to "rectangle" adapter?

Hey; so, I've been rebuilding the interior of my '97 Ram. I've got the new dash done, the gauges rebuilt with new faces, "new" used seats, new headliner, and so on.

One issue I'm having is with the stereo. I have the infinity sound package, and as many of you know in '97 each speaker had its own amp. This means that none of the aftermarket stereos I've tried will sound like anything other than poo until I replace all the speakers. For now I'm not interested in doing this, because with the factory stereo the speakers sound great.

So, with all that said, the original CD player this truck came with (RBR AM/FM/CD W/3 band eq) is long gone before I ever owned it. I've got a stock Cassette deck and want to at least have a CD player;

The problem is that they sell for WAY more than I can afford on eBay, I can't find any on Craigslist, and the ones I've seen at junkyards are all completely trashed. I want to get either the RBR (P04704373AB in '97, P04704476 in '94 - '96) or the RBC from the 94-96 years (P05269432), but at this point I don't think this is likely. However, it seems the "oval" units from '98-'01 might work if I could a) find some sort of oval to rectangle adapter, and b) find out if they still had amps on the speakers in these years, or if this is when they changed to a separate Infinity amp.

I know this is LONG, and for that I apologize. I will sincerely appreciate any advice!

Oh, yeah, and with all that said I REALLY wish I could afford one of these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150889952863...84.m1438.l2649

Guy rebuilds the OEM units and adds auxillary input, which is what I've been after, hence all the attempts at different aftermarket units (3 to be exact), as well as FM transmitters (both inline and over the air) and tape adapters...
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Well I think and just a thought. I don't have an infinity system in my truck but do have a sony xplode with blue tooth in mine and sounds great. I think the mistake most make with a set up like that most don't use a harness adapter and hook up the amp wire from unit to factory harness to turn on amp. That's why they tend to sound horrible. So if you find a good unit and addapter for an infinity. It might be all good and if price is a concern the unit I have has been updated and can be found at wl-martunder 200.00 and wire kit and instal kit under 28.00 if I remember right.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Faded green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
bigroblee is on a distinguished road

I believe you are right for the later Ram Infinity systems, and I did research the adapters, and I used a good Scosche factory harness adapter also. The problem is that in my particular year, this doesn't help, as the amps are integral parts of the speakers; the speakers would need to be completely replaced in order to use a non-Chrysler stereo.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Well I think if you find a good factory unit from early 90's to 02 it still hooks up the same and mayby some units used in gen 3 might work. But I don't think the infinitys will work past that also you arnt limeted to just trucks for a factory infinity any crysler from the same time frame will work.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Also this might be a shot in the dark but. Call a repuitable streo install shop you know your not the only person who tryed to install an aftermarket stereo with infinity system in place. It might be a simple fix like useing a capasitor to cut down on power output of headunit causeing over powering of speakers with factoy amps.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I'm not certain I fully understand what you are attempting, but if I do... In my younger days, Chrysler B bodies (Roadrunners, Chargers etc ) had 2 speaker holes in the rear deck, but while both being an oval shape, one was oval front/rear, while the other was oval, right/left... my cure was to get a piece of luan (floor underlay) which was like 1/8" plywood-like stuff and I drilled it to fit, and put 3 coats of fiberglass resin on it, and used fenderwashers to secure it so the screws wouldn't pull thru. WHa lah, Both of my rear deck speakers were pointed in the same direction. Worth considering?