DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500 CrewCab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:14
RLM5150 is on a distinguished road
Default UConnect dialing / calling

I have a 2012 1500 CC with the 430 stereo with UConnect paired with a Samsung Galaxy SII on Sprint. I can receive incoming calls just fine. I'm having an issue with calling though. Whether I use "call" or "dial" my phone does call the name or number I told it. The Unconnect system then says "phone call complete". If I look at the phone, it is still connected (or ringing) and the bluetooth button is lit. So if I pick up the phone, I have to press the bluetooth button first so I can hear the phone. At first I thought it dropped the calls because I was in a weak signal area, but then realized that it always does this no matter the signal.

Why is it doing this? Is there some configuration I need to change to make it stay connected with the UConnect system? Shouldn't I be able to have the conversation via UConnect when dialing?

Just got the truck a few weeks ago and loving it. Receiving calls works great. Sure would like to make calls too. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

Try rebooting the phone, remove the phone battery for a few minutes and then reinsert it. Try a call now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM5150 View Post
I have a 2012 1500 CC with the 430 stereo with UConnect paired with a Samsung Galaxy SII on Sprint. I can receive incoming calls just fine. I'm having an issue with calling though. Whether I use "call" or "dial" my phone does call the name or number I told it. The Unconnect system then says "phone call complete". If I look at the phone, it is still connected (or ringing) and the bluetooth button is lit. So if I pick up the phone, I have to press the bluetooth button first so I can hear the phone. At first I thought it dropped the calls because I was in a weak signal area, but then realized that it always does this no matter the signal.

Why is it doing this? Is there some configuration I need to change to make it stay connected with the UConnect system? Shouldn't I be able to have the conversation via UConnect when dialing?

Just got the truck a few weeks ago and loving it. Receiving calls works great. Sure would like to make calls too. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

All i could think of was Re- Pairing the phone
glad that i had to drive 400 miles today, that way i couldn't type something & embarrass myself

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 AM

Naw, you often offer great advice. Some issues have to be worked out in the "try and see" mode. I have seen several of phone issues lately be cured with a rebooting of the phone. These phones are little computers and how often do we have to reboot our computers? So, thought I'd start him / her off there. I have the iPhone 4S and had the 4 previously. I have to reboot it / them a few times a month for issues other than only BT related issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
All i could think of was Re- Pairing the phone
glad that i had to drive 400 miles today, that way i couldn't type something & embarrass myself

Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 AM

I appreciate the suggestion. I know I have had to remove the battery when the phone has locked up on a couple of occasions since getting the truck and pairing the phone, but don't usually leave the battery out for more than 15 seconds or so.

So I tried your suggestion shortly after you posted and powered off the phone and removed the battery. Left it alone for 15 minutes. Put in the battery and powered up the phone. When I tried to call with UConnect it did the same thing. The phone dialed the entry, UConnect said "call complete" and the phone was still dialing / other end ringing / bluetooth button lit. Picked up the phone and pressed the bluetooth button and had my conversation over the phone.

I haven't had time to try much else, but I'm thinking I will re pair the phone and see what happens. GF has the same model phone, so I may pair that phone too and see what happens.

I will post what I find after I try those things.

Thanks

Last edited by RLM5150; 09-26-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 PM

I got a chance to try this over lunch. Went to device pairing, remove a device. Removed and then removed UConnect from the phones list of bluetooth devices.

Then went through device pairing. Getting the same thing. It dials the number and says call complete, even though the phone itself is still connected. This happened both with dialing a number and calling a phone book entry.

Here is the odd part: When I first tried to dial a number, I paused too long and didn't get the full number spoken before it wanted to dial. Rather than say "no" to "is this correct", I let it dial. It dialed the partial number and stayed connected with the phone. I heard the phone over UConnect when it said "you must dial the area code. . ." So I excited with what appeared to be a success.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:51 PM

Update:

Finally had the time to try a few things.

First, I still have this issue. I get the same results on another phone of the same make/model/carrier. And this phone is on the compatibility list with a different (earlier) sw version.

Second, I tried a buddies andrioid phone (HTC EVO 4G) and it paired and worked fine.

Here is where it gets Weird - - - After connecting and using my buddies phone I was able to place a call with my phone! Several calls. Until I turned off the truck, then the problem returned.

So a few days later I tried an old flip phone I have that isn't active. After turning off blutooth on my phone I paired the old phone and tried to place a call. It just rang busy of course since it isn't active. Then I turned on blutooth on my phone and could place calls.

So I have a workaround I guess. PITA but it works.

Does anyone here have a Galaxy SII on Sprint network?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Ok, I have the GIII and it is with Sprint. I have been using it successfully for the last week with no issues except for texting. I can receive but not send messages. This has been reported to Samsung and being looked into.
The vehicle is a 2012 also with the V2 module (know this becasue the build date is 2-12-2012). The phone originally had the following SW in it:

Android ----4.04
Kernal ---- 3.0.8 - 10057958

Last Friday there was an OTA update that I performed and the following SW was installed:
Android ------ 4.1.1
Kernal ------- 3.0.31 - 286764

Today, there was another OTA update, now the SW is:
Android ------ 4.1.1
Kernal ------- 3.0.31 - 329968

What is the SW information in your phone?

Your vehicle is a 2012, do you know what the builld date is? If it's pre 1-1-2012, have you had the TSB 08-018-12 performed?
One thing strange that I have noticed about this phone is that the Wi-Fi will turn on without my turning it on. Wi-Fi can mess with BT connections, please check to make sure it's off.
The calls are being dropped thru Uconnect because the phone

Quote:
Update:

Finally had the time to try a few things.

First, I still have this issue. I get the same results on another phone of the same make/model/carrier. And this phone is on the compatibility list with a different (earlier) sw version.

Second, I tried a buddies andrioid phone (HTC EVO 4G) and it paired and worked fine.

Here is where it gets Weird - - - After connecting and using my buddies phone I was able to place a call with my phone! Several calls. Until I turned off the truck, then the problem returned.

So a few days later I tried an old flip phone I have that isn't active. After turning off blutooth on my phone I paired the old phone and tried to place a call. It just rang busy of course since it isn't active. Then I turned on blutooth on my phone and could place calls.

So I have a workaround I guess. PITA but it works.

Does anyone here have a Galaxy SII on Sprint network?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:24 PM

Interesting. I didn't know about wifi possibly interfering with Blutooth. I never turn wifi off, so that is something to try.

I haven't requested a build sheet yet so I don't know the exact build date yet, but the door sticker shows June 2012.

Over lunch I ran some errands. Turned off the wifi on my phone before getting to the parking garage. Phone worked! I'll keep playing with this, but it appears that disabling wifi may be the answer.

Had the wifi enabled later and I must have turned it off after I turned on the truck because it wasn't working again. So I will make sure it's turned of before getting in and try again on the way home tonight.

My SII is running:

Firmware 2.3.6
Kernel 2.6.35.7

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM

How'd I mess that up? I could have swore that I read about you having an GIII. My daughter has the GII. I'll try her phone later. Yeah, WiFi is close to the same frequency and does screw with BT. Let me know how it works out for you.

Quote:
Interesting. I didn't know about wifi possibly interfering with Blutooth. I never turn wifi off, so that is something to try.

I haven't requested a build sheet yet so I don't know the exact build date yet, but the door sticker shows June 2012.

Over lunch I ran some errands. Turned off the wifi on my phone before getting to the parking garage. Phone worked! I'll keep playing with this, but it appears that disabling wifi may be the answer.

Had the wifi enabled later and I must have turned it off after I turned on the truck because it wasn't working again. So I will make sure it's turned of before getting in and try again on the way home tonight.

My SII is running:

Firmware 2.3.6
Kernel 2.6.35.7

Thanks for the help!