DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 3.7L PowerTech V6 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 ram 1500
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
80strucksrule7 is on a distinguished road
Default Tough situation Need advice!!!

Howdy y'all need some major advice, the situation: bought a 2007 ram 1500 longbed 3.7 v6 6 speed and boy is this thing tha shit but I bought it from Carmax and that may be where I went wrong. The truck only has 25000 miles on it and 1 owner and a clean carfax so if figured I couldnt go wrong. Well now bassicly when iv been driving for usually it takes about 40 minutes so when it's nice and hot you can hear a faint whirr- whirr - whirr between 50 and 55. That's the small problem the big one is when in gear there is a knocking noise weather I'm bogging it, on the powerband, or flooring it. I believe it is a transmission issues or transmission bearing issue more specifically. My reasoning is if the clutch is engaged so only motor running bassicly it Won't make the noise. If you are in nuteral revving it or in any gear you can hear it which means it can't be the rear end or drive shaft. The noise sounds like when you going up a rollercoaster knock knock knock. And if you floor it the knocking quickens. I bought Carmax extended warranty and I first brought it in they said it was the alternator and replaced it. Well it's still doing it and because it only does it when hot after a long drive they can't hear it so they wOnt touch the tranny. I'm at a lose as what to do I love the truck and bought it to get out of my ranger with tranny issues so please ... HELP!!!!
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:161
TimW has a spectacular aura aboutTimW has a spectacular aura about

Make another appointment for the truck, drive it around for an hour before, and take it in hot so they can hear what you are describing
Old 10-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 ram 1500
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
80strucksrule7 is on a distinguished road

I did do that this second time and they said they were to busy! They just left a message saying we've driven it for around 60 miles and this truck is perfectly fine....
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 reg cab
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:155
99gp has a spectacular aura about99gp has a spectacular aura about

Is the transmission issue loud enough that a video would capture it? If you could catch the sound a video you would be able to show them of the sound that they say they cant hear. Just an idea
Old 10-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

If you know there is a problem with the truck I would be very firm with them. Make an appointment, drive it until it's warm and making the noise, and then insist on their tech getting in the truck with you so that you can duplicate the noise and indicate to him exactly what you are hearing and when you are hearing it. If they refuse to do that I would raise hell until they refund your money for the extended warranty because you are probably never going to get your money out of it anyway.

The noise you describe reminds me of the sound you would hear on older vehicles when the throw-out bearing (I think??) needed replacement. That's a shot in the dark at best though, lol. It's been years since I dealt with a manual tranny.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.