DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
Northernmedic is on a distinguished road
Default I HATE Goodyear tires

My wife was driving the truck, '11 crew cab bighorn when this happened to her:

She swears she didn't hit anything. I purchased the truck almost 1 year ago to the day and it only has 6000miles.

My Chrysler dealer said that Goodyear would have to warranty the tire and because they do not deal in tires I would have to go my nearest Goodyear dealer (Fountain Tire) 1 hour away from me. I was working so I had the tire dropped off for them to inspect it. They refuses to warranty the tire as they said this cannot just "happen". You can easily see where the it separated. Short story even shorter, I am now banned from that store. Now I'm looking at replacing all my tires to some cooper discoverer AT3s. I hate these tires and have absolutely no trust in them!
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

That is insane! Glad nothing else went terribly wrong. I want new tires too. I have the stock Goodyears and the other day I was merging onto the highway in a weave lane around 11pm. All traffic was a good ways behind me except for one car getting off. It had rained earlier (for the first time in a week or so) so the ground was wet. I was on the ramp at 55mph...accelerate hard to get ahead of the guy getting off so he could get off...(i am moving dead straight, wheels not turned) i spin tires at 55mph, ass end swings out and I fishtail across three lanes of 95...thank goodness no cars were coming. My BFGs on my f150 NEVER did that to me. It was so scary. I think it was oily roads too because of it not raining for awhile. But still, want new tires!
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

I have had nothing but Bad experiences with Goodyear tires. That tire separated!

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Once again, Goodyears suck in wet conditions. Coopers are very nice as I have ran them in Texas rain a lot. Michelins are good but too expensive. Nittos are nice if your wanting grip but dont expect high mileage.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:13
03 Hemi is on a distinguished road

I've had BFG ATs on my Jeep and Ram for years and loved them. Recently I needed tires on my Ram, but money was really tight. My friends dad had a set of Goodyear Wranglers in my size with only 3,000 miles on them. He said I could have all 4 for $100. I bought them just to get me through this summer until I could get some money saved up. On wet roads I can not control my truck. Just like a lot of the stories on here, I swearve and fishtail all the time. If I am taking off from an on-ramp, there better be a lot of room cause if I have to get into the gas I do nothing but sit there and spin. Fortunately I am getting the BFGs on this weekend.

At the ambulance service that I work at, our director decided to go with the Goodyear Duratracs on the rear of all of our ambulances. He wanted something a little more aggressive for the winter months. Our crew started complaining about the trucks fishtailing and swaying at higher speeds. We even had one do a complete 180 and hit a guard rail on a wet road. After doing some research I found a lot of bad reviews for the Duratracs stating the same thing our crews were complaining of.

Northernmedic, glad to hear your wife is ok. That could have ended badly.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a engineer & i do not play one on tv

I don't like the way the Wranglers grip the road at about 50 MPH in a reverse banked or flat corner, like on country roads, & when it gets even a mist on the that same corner, forget doing the speed limit

My original tires & rims are sitting in the room that i use for an office

In those pix above,
You can see where it tore right along the band on the edge of the tire
That tire had to hit something metal & fairly sharp
similar to those metal devices that stick up in some drive ways
Usually there are signs reading do not back up, or do not enter wrong way
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Trim Level: st
Color: deep water blue pearl coat
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:14
daggertats is on a distinguished road

i had good yrs on other vehicles and they werent too bad but i hate em on the ram. if im at a red light and the road is wet when i give it gas to go the tires will spin slightly...i thought maybe i was hittin the gas too hard.next time i tried it i lightly hit gas and it done it again. i thought i was nuts so i asked a guy i work with who has a new gmc pick up with good years on it. he said it happened to him while towing his landscape trailer. dont think ill be puttin good years back on after all this negative feedback. glad your wife and truck came thru it ok
Old 09-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with GTyankee. That tire hit something.(another reason my wife don't drive my truck).. I have almost 62,000 miles on my OEM Goodyears, and as I dont like them on wet roads, they are still controllable if you know what to expect. I'm sure I will not be buying goodyears again, but I honestly cannot complain about the ones on my truck at this moment. I probably have another 10,000 miles left on them, but will be changing them before the wet winter months here.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

^^^Agree with above. I worked/managed a tire shop for several years, and the damage on the pics above were induced by impact, whether preliminary or immmediate. I will agree however, that Goodyears suck in general...

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 09-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 3500
Color: Red
Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
Cthulhu is on a distinguished road

I've had goodyears on past vehicles, never on my 3500 though. My OEM SRA's from my 1500 were terrible in the rain and got replaced after 12000km with Toyos. I won't put another BFG on my truck due to a recent issue with the tread falling off the carcass, and the warranty replacements for those 2 tires were incapable of being balanced as they were visibly out of round. Complete lack of quality control I won't allow my family to be put in harms way for BFG's benefit. We had excellent experience with Toyo so I decided to try their subsidiary Nitto which has performed excellent so far. Their tire design needs only small weights for balance due to no overlap ridge during construction. We run Coopers in the winter and have had excellent experience with them. If I do run into issues with the Nittos, Cooper is on my list for brands to try for a good summer / AT tire.

So ya.. Toyo / Cooper are top of my list.. Goodyear/BFG are underground digging fast...

Last edited by Cthulhu; 09-27-2012 at 12:27 AM.