DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:246
HemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Like it has been mentioned, sometimes the jobs you get are shit (active duty Coast Guard with prior service Navy). I am currently stationed on a 50 yr old vessel that routinely goes out for 2 month patrols every month to month and half. Like I tell all the kids who work for me, the unit you are currently at isn't the end of the world. There are other places to go. If you take the career route, you have to stick with it. There will be obnoxious people who use their position just to make your life miserable. I have fun with those people because I know my job and they can't really screw with me (been doing it for 16+ yrs). Keep your head up and plugging away. Good luck!

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2012, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys!

I read somewhere that there was a long wait for the AF before you get to go to basic... Anyone know about this?
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1772
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Hemi View Post
Big decision! best of luck bud just do what you want with your life, don't let others decide for you
True Story ^^
Especially if you dont care for Christmas/B Day gifts anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxHunting View Post
Thanks man. I plan on it!
Kidding on the above
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Trim Level: Big Horn 4X4
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
markjr is on a distinguished road

When you sign your get your date to go. Probably sooner than you expect. They will not say much until you step up, You sound like you think things out and you'll be fine. It looks like you will be our "Brother in Arms soon". One thing about it, when prior service guys get around talking, it does not matter if you were a fighter pilot or a grunt, we all respect eah other no matter where they served or what they did. Everybody depends on everybody.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:48
ShiftJockey is on a distinguished road

I am former USAF and the skillset I learned there I still employ today.

I got some great education while in and took full advantage of the education fund contribution while I was in. It paid for my degree.

Folks just out of high school may not necessarily know exactly what they want to do and end up wasting time (and money) taking right off for college. Practical work experience while earning job skills and gaining an education fund can't be beat.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:39
11BFollowMe is on a distinguished road

You definately have a big decision to make bud. Me personally im in the CT Guard as an 11Bravo (Infantry) when my contracts up i plan on going air force just to stay in the military and have it a lot easier. The air force is a better lifestyle,better living, nd when you train to do what your going to your job is easy too. Sure theres things that arent so easy but id rather be on a fob for 6 months than kickin doors and runnin patrols in the middle of nowhere on a mountain with most enevitably the enemy,(thatll be next year sometime deployment date unknown) id suggest checking out the air guard too or reserve unles you want to get the hell out of dodge then go active lol but best of luck to you. Same team same fight Hooah.
K&N CAI,Flowmaster Cat-Back Custom Bent With 2.5" Tips,Debadged,Autometer Vacuum Gauge With Single Gauge A-Pillar Pod,Bushwacker Fender Flares,Tonno Pro Tonneau Cover,180 T-Stat,93 Octane SCT Tune,Plasti Dipped Grill and Rims,Tow Mirrors
Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Gray
Rep:30
cynjon is on a distinguished road

As a 26-year AF veteran, I wouldn't change a thing about my military service. I got to go places, see and do things, and meet people that I never would have been able to do any other way. It sounds like you've done your homework and made your decision already--hopefully your parents will learn to support that decision.

A couple random points that popped into my head while reading the previous posts:

--Don't forget about the re-enlistment bonus that the 1C1X1 career field (Air Traffic Controller) is currently paying...if it stays the same (it is one of the AFSCs that are on the critical shortage list typically), you would receive a pretty sweet re-enlistment bonus. Your monthly base pay x the current bonus multiplier (4.0 at this time) x number of years of re-enlistment. You would get half of that sum at the time of re-enlistment, and the remainder in monthly installments during the enlistment period.

--I've known a few ATCs during my career...while there is a *chance* that you'd get stuck at some crappy FOB, it is much more likely that you'd be deployed to one of the larger bases with established airfields. Not much "outside the wire" duty required for those kind of deployments typically, although the threat of IDF (indirect fire--rocket/mortar attacks), VBIED attacks on the gates, or sniper activity are always potential hazards of any deployment.

--Lastly, one of the most important things about picking a military specialty, is setting yourself up for success as a civilian down the road, after you've finished your enlistment or retired. ATC is one of those career fields that translates DIRECTLY to civilian jobs, as you've found. That makes the training even more valuable to you over a lifetime, not to mention the plethora of leadership training, technical training, and education that the military offers those who are willing to apply themselves.

Good luck with your future...it sounds like you have a well-thought out case to present to your parents. Hopefully they will hear it with open minds and let you make the decision that's best for you.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:178
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

Retired Navy here, I would just remind them that they raised you to be the best person you could be and to respect other's opinions, and that in your opinion this is what you have choosen to do. My son came to me at 17 and wanted to join the Marines and this was in the late 80's early 90's, I only advised him that if that is what he truly wanted I would sign for him and that we got a guaranteed field at least. It does guarantee the job just the field. He agreed and after 8 years in the Marine Corps followed by 4 years in the Navy he finally decided to get out so he could spend more time with his family. By the way he was stationed in Camp LeJeune, NC, Sigonella Sicily and Yokosuka Japan, so you can see he got to see a lot of different places as well as being sent to Bosnia, Kuwait and South Africa.

Do what is right for you. If they don't agree now they will come to realize this is your choice.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: express
Color: true blue
Rep:33
goose85427 is on a distinguished road

I was in the same boat as you are now when I was 18. I wanted to join the army and I let my friends and family talk me out of it. They all said I wouldn't like it and I needed to take some time to try other things. I'm pretty sure they thought I would forget about it. Well after 3 years of tring different things and having good paying jobs. I seen an add on the tv and went to the army recruiter. A month later I was at OSUT in fort Benning GA. I've been in a little over 6 years now 2 trips over to the stan and only 14 years till retirement.

Just remember no matter what job you have there will be good days and bad days but just as long as you love what your doing it's really not all that bad bro
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Express 4x4
Rep:30
MissouriNomad is on a distinguished road

I did 10 years, been out 5 now, and I spend a lot of time missing it. Good times and bad, good people and bad, it was a hell of a thing the whole time, and I'll always be glad that it was part of my life.

The advice about picking your job with an eye to the future is probably the most important thing posted in this thread. As others have said, the field you've chosen translates well. Me, I'm not gonna be using my skills unless Delta or American Airlines picks up an air-to-air weapons capability some time soon.

Also, in regards to your CCAF degree... Most of your military training applies to your degree, but you will still have to take the basic pre-reqs like English comp, etc. I only had 6 credits of pre-reqs, and my dumb ass missed the opportunity due to sheer laziness and procrastination. Those 6 credits made the difference between what I could have done as a civilian, and what I actually do. I'm down about 60 grand a year, so I'm a pretty big advocate of people knocking out that CCAF early.

Either way, man, the future is wide open for you. I wish you the best of luck, whatever you choose to do.