DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Spartan7G09 is on a distinguished road

I spent 6 years in the Army, I got medically retired last November as an 11B (Infantry), and I can tell you with 100% honesty that there is no job that I would have ever chosen other than that. I was asked (before my med board started) if I would consider a reclass to stay on active duty, and I said that unless it meant that I was going to continue to go on missions outside the wire and lead my squad, I didn't want to hear it. As it turns out, I didn't have a choice anyway, but I wouldn't have gone from running missions to flying a desk.

Best of luck to you in your choice.
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the advice guys.

In my head I have made up my mind. I want to just finish this semester in June and then enlist. Now I just want to kind of get my parents on my side for this whole thing. It would be much easier and I don't want to piss them off and then they kick me out... that whole story.

I spoke with my parents briefly last weekend and it didn't go to well. We had gotten into a fight the day before so we were already on edge haha. My mom is completely against it as always, but from what I can tell my dad is just worried that I wont be able to become an Air Traffic Controller, or I wont like it, or I will get stuck with some bullshit job that won't help me in the future. I know my mom will probably be completely against it until she sees me graduate from basic, but the hard part is going to be convincing my dad it IS what is best for me.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Moms never like seeing one of their children leaving the nest
Not even if it is only moving to a different house on the other side of town
The Military for them is unthinkable
Sending letters during Boot Camp
Phone calls when you are allowed to use the phone, more letters too
Now you have Cell phones that send pictures & video, they want to see their boy/man
Laptops give you email & video & that is what the military people are now using overseas, if you don't own one, the Military has them, but you have to stand in line usually
Moms need contact, contact, contact

Dads on the other hand, once they decide to let you leave
Think about things like
who is going to carry out the trash now
where are you at
have they issued you a weapon yet
what do you do on post
the family car need washing & waxing, when are you coming home
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-03-2012, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Moms never like seeing one of their children leaving the nest
Not even if it is only moving to a different house on the other side of town
The Military for them is unthinkable
Sending letters during Boot Camp
Phone calls when you are allowed to use the phone, more letters too
Now you have Cell phones that send pictures & video, they want to see their boy/man
Laptops give you email & video & that is what the military people are now using overseas, if you don't own one, the Military has them, but you have to stand in line usually
Moms need contact, contact, contact

Dads on the other hand, once they decide to let you leave
Think about things like
who is going to carry out the trash now
where are you at
have they issued you a weapon yet
what do you do on post
the family car need washing & waxing, when are you coming home
Hahahh well I don't live with them anymore so hopefully that helps with the whole distance thing hahah. I live like an hour away right now.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

Sounds like you have already typed up a pretty good list, just remember they will support you no matter your decision, she is just making sure it's what you want to do. Best of luck and if u need any advice or need to talk to anyone, feel free to PM me. ur situation sounds similar to mine when I went in!

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:210
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Well, the Airforce is a good choice if you dont want to see combat.

I have several buddies, all retired from the Airforce, they said they chose that brance for that very specific reason... Yes, you do training but it is called Escape and Evade, so basically saying Run Away from everything.

I tried to go into the Army/Marines, but they didnt accept me due to my failing hearing ( legally deaf now ) but at 25 I was out of work, My daughter was born and giving up all hope I tried to join for the pay and benefits that I would provide for my family at the time, let alone further my education .....

Wish it would have happened for me, but didnt...
Take it and Do it, you wont regret it... You are young and smart, and you will succeed in life. All my buddies didnt have a dime to their names, and after their stint with the Airforce they are all making $250,000.00 + yearly.
They are in the IT field, Telecommunications...ect
Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Trim Level: Big Horn 4X4
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
markjr is on a distinguished road

We are proud of you my friend for your enlistment and for your future service! You won't be sorry. No matter what part you play or where you are at, you will be carrying on the task of protecting and keeping our Nation safe. One thing about it, If Mitt gets in there, no doubt he is for the Military, just like Reagan was, so it might be getting ready to get even better. Instead of carrying a big stick, it might be a sledge hammer! Hoorah!

Last edited by markjr; 10-04-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4(Rambox)
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Rep:34
Colorado700R is on a distinguished road

Well, you seem to be motivated by more than just College $$$. That's a good thing, the military (any branch) requires a comittment well beyond a normal job. And it requires a seolf-motivated personaility, that is in harms way for a greater purpose than himself. In my expierence, college $$, and pay aren't enough to inspire this purpose.

My son is your age, and leaves for Ft. Sill, Ok for Basic training (Army) Nov. 13th. I did him the favor, my father did for me, I made him go sit down with ALL of the recruiters (Coast Guard included). There is no downside to hearing what they have to say, and weighing your options based on ALL of the information. Even though I'm a former Marine, and my son was headstrong into joining the USMC, once he learned the options that the other branches could provide to achieve his personal goals, he made the decision (a wise one I believe) to join the Army for an Intel position.
If you have not, I reccomend you do the same that I, and my son did. Go talk to them all, get all the data, take the ASVAB, see what jobs are available for you now. (Not all jobs are available all the time). Four of the branches have Air Traffic control jobs. (USMC 7220 MOS, Navy OS rating, Army 15Q MOS, AF 1C1X1). I would also reccomend you talk to service members who are, or have been in this MOS. The recruiters always seem to make the transition from the military job to a civilian job way more simplistic than it really is. (IE there is allot of certifications and licenses to be a FAA controller that you WILL NOT get in the AF or any other branch).
Also, have you considered a ROTC program? You are already in School, you could do Military training along with it, and come out with BOTH a degree and as an Officer. Best of both worlds IMHO, and I bet Momma would like that plan more.....

Just food for thought, good luck to you whatever your decisions maybe.

VR

Aaron
Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:30
Spartan7G09 is on a distinguished road

To follow on what Colorado700R has written up (very good information by the way), I would like to add that if you decided to enlist in the Army, they guarantee you your MOS if you qualify for it based on your ASVAB score. I know that was one of your concerns and you said one of your dad's concerns, the possibility of not getting the MOS you wanted. As long as you get the necessary scores on the ASVAB, you will sign a contract and leave MEPS knowing that you will go to basic training and then to AIT to be an air traffic controller or an Infantryman or whatever you choose to do. You don't find out after basic training. Just something to think about...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:23
Dodge Boy13 is on a distinguished road

congrats man good luck with your decision!