DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
noodles is on a distinguished road
Default shifter problem

looking for some input if anyone has had this problem.
i have a 4.7 with the console shift and the shifter wont go into drive, reverse and neutral both are fine but it seems like something is in the way when going into drive.

by the way i drove the truck all over running errands in the morning, parked it for 30 mins then this happened

thx noodles
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

First step would be to pull the shifter cable off of the lever on the trans, and try to shift that lever manually. Make sure the truck is on level ground, engine is OFF, and the parking brake is applied when you do this!!

Park should be the furthest rearward detent on the lever. Rotate it by hand and see if you get all the positions, or if it jams after Neutral. By the way, you should get six different positions (PRND2L) at the trans lever. The actual shifter never goes past D, but the code plate in the trans allows two additional positions.

If the trans lever is jammed, then it's something internal (my guess would be debris in the manual valve in the valve body, or something jammed in the Park mechanism). You would need to drop the pan and remove the valve body to find the problem. If the trans lever is OK, then maybe something else is inhibiting the movement of the lever. Inspect the other end of the cable (at the steering column) to see if something there is getting in the way.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
noodles is on a distinguished road

i know that this is going to sound crazy.per the advise, i crawled under the truck and found a walnut(lots of blackwalnut trees in my neighbor hood) on the shifter cable. I have no idea how this happened,my best guess is a squirrell hid it there? but thanks for the idea it solved the problem
Old 09-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:57
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
i know that this is going to sound crazy.per the advise, i crawled under the truck and found a walnut(lots of blackwalnut trees in my neighbor hood) on the shifter cable. I have no idea how this happened,my best guess is a squirrell hid it there? but thanks for the idea it solved the problem
Dammm squirrels, we have terrible squirrel issues here. We have the red squirels here.
We have them crawling all over the engine compartments in my trucks and my wifes car.
We have to clean all them out once a week. Everytime i see one, i blow their nuts off with a 12ga.
Once a month, we have to empty out the air cleaner box`s as well... all of them full of walnuts and grass/leaf`s.

Last edited by Rambunkshuss; 09-30-2012 at 12:00 AM.