DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future
Talking 2012 with Yukon 4.56 gears

A SUCCESS!

Some of you may know my truck went into the shop this Monday for gears.
I finally got my truck back this afternoon after 4 long days in the shop.
I'm following the break in period before taking any vids of me romping on it.
I havent taken it over 3k yet, but its more than noticeable. I can only imagine when I can drive this truck the way I want to drive it.
I used the Hypertech to adjust the tire height and gear ratio.

Previous history
I had a 3.55 with no LSD and I was hoping to gear before a lift but couldn't find the right shop to do this.
I lifted and slapped on 37's knowing I would re gear.
But the last 5 weeks have been pain.
My mpg' plummeted, off the line power, gone. But while cruising, power was still ever present. But climbing hills....the truck kept downshifting and searching for gears and was always revving. Rarely ever in Eco mode.

Why ram put 3.55's in our truck with 33's beats me. Others may feel differently, but in my own opinion and there was more to desire.
I towed 4500lbs. And although the hemi pulled it with ease, my 3.55 struggled.

Not sure if this puts me as the first '12 with 4.56.....but the gain of power and mpg is what I was after ore than anything else
My mpg began to increase on a 25 min drive back home.
Eco mode was on 80% of the time.

I will update this thread as the days progress
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Rep:10
Audacious is on a distinguished road

Awww man

Put some miles on her I wanna see this. On a side note both me and my brother have 12 Ram 1500's. He actually just put the MOPAR 4 inch lift in his with 37's Trail Grapplers. Mine is still stock. I smoke him off the line.

He has the 3.55 WITH the LSD but that is nothing now for his truck. I have the 3.92's. I wish mine was at least LSD though or Posi.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious View Post
Awww man

Put some miles on her I wanna see this. On a side note both me and my brother have 12 Ram 1500's. He actually just put the MOPAR 4 inch lift in his with 37's Trail Grapplers. Mine is still stock. I smoke him off the line.

He has the 3.55 WITH the LSD but that is nothing now for his truck. I have the 3.92's. I wish mine was at least LSD though or Posi.
He was better off than me....but 37's and 3.55's I'm sure is a dog. I know it was that for me.
I wish I got 3.92 from stock but at the same time glad I didn't as I used that money towards the 4.56.

But 3.92 on a stock ram is MUCH better than 3.55. Especially on stock 33's

Why did your brother go with the 4" Mopar? Dealer told him too?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Audacious is on a distinguished road

Ehh he is a warranty freak.

It's the 4 inch lift with the Billsteins he knows a little more than I do, all I know is that MOPAR slapped their name on it.

I like my 3.92's though. Probably why my truck was always faster than his too. I have a Regular Cab 6'4" bed Express. Weighs in at 6300 lbs. Thing is fast as lighting.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Black
390hemi is on a distinguished road

Lets hear some details o.p.
How did they do it?
Did u put in lockers or A locker in the rear maybe?
How much if u don't mind?

Ur truck is my goal , i have a 12 sport goin up in the air soon, 6"rcx bilsteins 37 trail graps rear coil spacesrs depending on rake
I bought my rims already and really interested on how to get 4.56 in myy truck, i had the rear figured out thanks to candy08, but then i found out about the front being different for 2012.
I have 3.55 open and don't want to know what that feels like with 37s any info helps bro thanks.
Can't wait to see some vids,
Btw how did u tint ur headlights??
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious View Post
Ehh he is a warranty freak.

It's the 4 inch lift with the Billsteins he knows a little more than I do, all I know is that MOPAR slapped their name on it.

I like my 3.92's though. Probably why my truck was always faster than his too. I have a Regular Cab 6'4" bed Express. Weighs in at 6300 lbs. Thing is fast as lighting.
LOL!
Yea, Mopar's 4" lift kit is a SuperLift kit just stamped with Mopar.
Im not even sure it says Mopar, but I have never seen one in person.
He can always get it bigger if he so chooses.

Yea, 3.92 on a reg cab should be fast....LOL
Old 09-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390hemi View Post
Lets hear some details o.p.
How did they do it?
Did u put in lockers or A locker in the rear maybe?
How much if u don't mind?

Ur truck is my goal , i have a 12 sport goin up in the air soon, 6"rcx bilsteins 37 trail graps rear coil spacesrs depending on rake
I bought my rims already and really interested on how to get 4.56 in myy truck, i had the rear figured out thanks to candy08, but then i found out about the front being different for 2012.
I have 3.55 open and don't want to know what that feels like with 37s any info helps bro thanks.
Can't wait to see some vids,
Btw how did u tint ur headlights??
No lockers as there is nothing for 11's or 12's yet and running stock LSD is highly not recommended by the gear shop along with others as you will be wearing it out fairly quickly.
Well the rears as you know requires some machining and a good shop either can do this or works with someone that can.
The front is the PROBLEM and still is!

To make the long story short.
Chrysler welded the gear vs bolting it in.....so yea, go figure how that will turn out once you want to swap it out.
I had to get an 11 carrier and get it to work this way.

You may say it voids warranty, it probably does on that component, but my gear shops backs his parts and labor for the life of the truck and as long as I own it.

As for your lift! I'd do it again. Are you running Bilsteins or just the lift? If just the lift, a coil spacer will not be required as you will still have rake. If you get Bilsteins and set them to 2.1 or higher, you will certainly need a coil spacer.

You will notice a difference on off the line power once your 37's go on, but once going the power is there.
As you know, your mpg will drop too, but that is the game when you lift/throw larger tires on. But this is where re gearing comes into play

I had my headlights done by jeremy aka retroshop.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4X4
Rep:68
Cat Daddy will become famous soon enough

thats great to hear ....wish I was there I would be right behind you ! I would like to hear more about the front I am dieing to do a lift but with the 355 alrready at 34" with the level truck and she is some what lame unless you are punchin her at 65mph
even the name of the shop that I could get in touch with maybe bring some knowlege to the USA
20X9 Black XD Hoss with painted caps 275x65x20 NittosTerras,Bilsteins 5100's @ 2.1, .75" in rear,laminx tinted head lights,tinted tail lights & 3rd brake light, S&B,Fastman 84 TB,18' Magnaflow,T1000-hemifever,cabin filter,RECON led cab lights,custom dynamic 60" light bar,tow hooks,debadged ,6" shorty ,painted grill and front and rear emblem , AMP power step ,F1 Bacflip bed cover ,Mopar bed rug kit
Old 09-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
thats great to hear ....wish I was there I would be right behind you ! I would like to hear more about the front I am dieing to do a lift but with the 355 alrready at 34" with the level truck and she is some what lame unless you are punchin her at 65mph
even the name of the shop that I could get in touch with maybe bring some knowlege to the USA
Haha, try on 37's with 3.55
The fronts for a 12 will not happen for a while. Especially now what Yukon knows once they saw pictures of our front diff.
You'll need to find an 2009-2011 front diff/carrier and then gears will
Pop right in. Rears require some machining, but any shop experienced with gears once they have it open will see this and should be able to do this or work with a machinist.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport
390hemi is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=fastNugly;897994]No lockers as there is nothing for 11's or 12's yet and running stock LSD is highly not recommended by the gear shop along with others as you will be wearing it out fairly quickly.
QUOTE]

Candy08 has a 2011 with the modded carrier in the rear with a yukon grizzly locker so i know it can be done just sayin