DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:29
electriccity is on a distinguished road
Default Custom sub-enclosure. lotttts of pics

Heres my sub enclosure I built with my old man on sat. Its a sealed box right around 1.2 total volume. I made this in place of the center seat. I bolted it to the factory spot and then just attached the arm rest to the top. I love it. Its so much nicer then the premade under the rear sit one I had previously. I found that that box actually reverberated enough and moved around when the sub was hitting it made the sub sound muddy... I tuned my amp and this box boooms. Im happy. I recessed the bolts into the 1" board then screwed the box to the 1" board. Liquid nailed, nailed, and caulked everything. I covered it with a heavy duty table clothe. lol couldnt even tell could ya. enjoy.

Last edited by electriccity; 09-30-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

Looks good. I assume you didnt have the sub in the back? It would blend in better if you had the grey coloured cloth covering it. Bet it sounds great though!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM

The one I had in the back as a test to makle sure my sub wasnt bad because my under the rear seat box was so bad. This looks good Im sticking with the black. She bangs.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

A couple of things to consider for longevity and sound quality....not bashing it just trying to help here...
Plywood other than birch is a bad idea for sub enclosures...it's very porous and doesn't stay together well under pressure. I'd strip the carpet off of it and coat the outside and inside with either plain fiberglass resin or at least spray on truck bed liner or rubberized undercoat. Anything that'll seal up the wood surface.
Also, and you may have checked...can't tell from the pic. A downfire sub should be 1/4 the diameter of the sub up off the floor below it. So a 12" sub should be 3" off the floor. If not you get into crazy stuff with wavelength and cancellation. You could actually be losing output if it's too close.

If you covered all those bases and I can't tell from the pics, maybe someone else will pick up these hints on a similar build.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM

I rather use the 3/4 inch pine ply over say mdf due to its stiffness. I sealed it with tons of liquid nails and caulk. This box is far superior to the mdf one I bought to fit under the rear seat...those are junk. The box is mounted in the factory spot and spaced up another inch. This by far is the best system Ive put together so far. Its so responsive I'm very pleased...rock songs sound like the kick drum is right next to you, and rap songs baaang. Im really pleased. I feel the bass being centrally located enhances the sound in the cab.
Also if you think rubberized truck liner on the outside of the box will cure anything except piece of mind I have to disagree. If air is getting through those layers to the point that an outside layer of rubber or whatever is the only thing sealing it then the box would be in pieces...

Last edited by electriccity; 10-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

I guess I don't know anything....post up that box on diyma.com and see if the experts in car audio don't tell you the same thing I did.

Like I said...I'm not bashing....just giving you some pointers to consider.
If you think pine plywood is the best material for a sub enclosure you have a lot to learn about car audio my friend.
It's just friendly advice...take it or leave.

Sealing that box with resin, coating it with rubberized undercoat on the inside to deaden it and getting it to the correct distance from the floor will make what you consider good even better. That's a promise.

I'm not talking about sealing the gaps and seams either...I'm talking about sealing the entire wood surface. Plywood is porous as far as air is concerned....in other words it will leak under pressure changing multiple things with the tuning of the enclosure, the output it produces, etc.
I'm sure your old MDF box was bad....99% of prefab boxes are. I guarantee you good 3/4" MDF is superior to plywood in every way for an enclosure. Rigidity, mass, flex....everything.

You made it good....a few more hours worth of work will make it better.
I play in the high end SQ world....so I try to pass on easy tricks to those who don't that will help them improve what they have.....again....just trying to help.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:91
age525 will become famous soon enough

Looks really good and I'm sure it sounds great with the sub sitting right next to you.

S&B Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers, DB Performance Cat Back Exhaust, Recon LED Taillights, Bilstein 5100's, Toyo Open Country AT 2, Diablosport Predator, Recon Line of Fire, JL Audio 10W3 StealthBox, Alpine iDA-X305s Head Unit, Detroit TrueTrac
Old 10-14-2012, 07:41 PM

Take it easy bro. Im also not building a competition sub enclosure...I miss understood your comment about the under coat. Being you said to take the carpet off and coat it...It does sound really good it is at least three inches off the floor and is very rigid...It is smaller then it looks...Thank you for your input...
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: LARAMIE
Color: WHITE
Rep:10
KAMAULIOLA is on a distinguished road

i know im late to this thread, but im a newbie...

do you happen to have specs for this enclosure. id greatly appreciate it
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

Concur with UNBROKEN. If you supply any amount of power to a subwoofer in a plywood box you will get just as much resonance as you did your old box and the plywood "will" come apart eventually. It just doesn't have enough resin in it, and isn't dense enough to hold up, but now that you are complete with it, just run with it and see how long you can get out of it. A few layers of glass on the inside as he mentioned would ensure that it's perfect for years.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.