DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAM 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
blewbyu2day is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission overheat after IPM replacement

Hello everyone,

Specs:

2002 1500 4x4
167,000 miles
Fully serviced myself at 160,000 miles: trans fluid, trans filters, o2 sensors, spark plugs, etc, etc.

Last week I lost headlights, interior lights, rear lights, and turn signals. Diagnosed as a BAD IPM (front under hood fuse box) because scan tool could not communicate with it. Installed used IPM and everything was back to normal.

Today, started the truck and the yellow Trans light was on. Drove 10 miles then Trans temp light(Red) came on. Immediately pulled over. I could see a small bit of smoke coming from the Trans dip stick. Drove slowly home. Noticed slipping in 1st gear.

I have a scan tool and it gave me P0700. (less than helpful I know) I do not have a scan tool that is capable of reading the trans. Anyone recommend a trans scan tool?

Is it really a coincidence that I had to replace the IPM last week and now this week I have a trans issue? My gut says the trans issue is "electrical" if it weren't for the bit of smoke coming out the trans dipstick I don't know if I would believe the trans temp gage. Reprogram the TCM? With 167,000 maybe its time for a replacement?

Issue: I live 80 miles from the nearest Dodge dealer. (I live in a rural area.) I don't feel like I can drive it that far.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Smoke out the dipstick tube is never a good thing. That probably means you've fried a clutch pack inside the trans. But let's check a few things first....

Does the trans fluid smell burned? Is it dark brown (or black)? Obviously those are further signs of internal clutch damage.

When you say you noticed slippage in 1st gear, what exactly did you experience? Did the trans slip like it was in Neutral? Or did the engine rev up, but the truck felt really sluggish until you got moving (and was then OK once you got up to speed)?

If the latter, then I suspect you were in limp-in mode (due to a fault), which gives you 3rd gear (direct gear) all the time in Drive. So it feels really sluggish launching from a stop. Also, running in limp-in for an extended period can overheat the trans (since the Torque Converter Clutch [TCC] never engages, you generate extra heat in the converter all the time, which will eventually overheat it). Limp-in mode can indeed be caused by an electrical issue, so I'm hoping that you just have an electrical fault, which put you in limp-in, which caused it to feel like it was "slipping" in 1st gear, which also overheated the trans.

You really need to read the fault(s) from the TCM as a first step. Are there any shops nearer to you (than the dealer) that might be able to read the TCM faults for you? If you can give me the fault codes (like P0871) I can help you diagnose it further.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sorry it took so long to reply. After trying several scanners that I finally got my hands on a Innova 3100e. It returned one code: P0740. Does that explain everything or do I need to get another scanner?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:29 AM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

OK, P0740 is TCC Out of Range, which means your TCC is not engaging properly. This is usually due to either a bad TCC (inside the torque converter) or a stuck TCC control valve (in the back half of the pump assy). To repair either one, you need to remove the trans. P0740 is NOT usually caused by wiring or other electrical issues.

When P0740 is set, the TCM disables the TCC altogether. With no TCC engagement, you will eventually overheat the trans, so this probably explains the smoke out the dipstick tube (although it doesn't usually get that bad).

Our typical advice for a P0740 fault is: Pull the trans. Remove the pump and inspect the TCC control valves. If you find a stuck (or sticky) valve, replace the pump assy. If the valves are OK, replace the torque converter.

If you plan to do this yourself, let me know so I can give you some advice (re pulling the pump) to help you avoid a common mistake that causes a complete trans failure 300-600 miles down the road.

In your case, changing the fluid again would also probably be a good idea.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Okay. Thanks for the information. I will have a shop do the work.

Based on the mileage: Would you rebuild or replace the entire transmission?

Thanks TransEnginer!!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewbyu2day View Post
Okay. Thanks for the information. I will have a shop do the work.

Based on the mileage: Would you rebuild or replace the entire transmission?
If you trust the shop, I would just ask their opinion. That is, have them pull the trans and pull the pump. They'll have to drop the pan also. Based on what they find (any evidence of clutch damage? any significant metal debris? etc.) they should be able to advise you whether to just replace the pump and/or converter (to fix the P0740), to also inspect / replace any damaged clutch packs (while they have the trans out), or just replace the whole thing (if they find tons of damage or wear).

It really depends on how the parts look.