DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Public Safety

Notices

Public Safety Special Interest Group for Police/Law Enforcement, Fire, and EMS Personnel! - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of
Talking Fire Lieutenant Interview

So next Saturday I have an interview on my local vol fire department for a Lieutenant opening. in joining the officer core on the dept, I'd like some pointers from anyone who has some experience with this.

I've been a member since 2007, with many extra qualifications and I know I can do good for the dept. The interview will consist of a training review, a fire scene senario with me as acting IC until relieved, and a personal situation with another member, being rated on those. there is also a 30 question interview along with the practical portion above.

if anyone has some advice, I'd gladly listen to it! Thanks guys!
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck with the interview
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM

double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

Thanks GT. Im going up against 6 others who've applied for the position.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Do they give you some points for being ex military ?
I worked for the State of California & received 10 military points on the different tests that i took
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-03-2013, 04:28 PM

unfortunately no. the interview is broken down into 5 sections, 20% each overall to the score. Theres practicals, fire scenario, the personal portion and training review up to current date, then there is a records review which consists of all your certifications, call logs, training attended, meeting attendance, and then extra curricular activities of the fire department (celebrations and department anniversaries) and then the interview questions. I doubt it will hurt or help even, but im assembling a resume of all my military records and training to hand to the interview board (7, three cheifs and 4 random members who have volunteered) as my last year in the Air Force i was a supervisor and my shift trainer. I had classes after classes on training methods, supervisor classes, and the experience, so im hoping that will help set me apart from the other 6 candidates.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Team Bully

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC TRX4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1711
ShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant future

Jaron good luck with the interview!! I would take anything that is documented leadership roles that you have done and personal reviews of you in that position. Like you said it can't be held against you if it is all good. I started volunteer firefighting when I was 16 with my community. We were a very small department of 25 at the time. I also went for Lieut. when I was 20 it sounds kind of similar but the board wasn't as big as we weren't that big of a department but the training I had taken and like you said the events and the extra time you put in all counts and I was lucky enough to get the position. A year after that our community got enlarged as we joined another area and were up to about 45 people and at 24 I went for a Capt spot and when I got that I was asked if I would help set up the training and courses that the members were to take. I helped for a bit and the Officer I was helping retired and it was on my own doing it. It was a bit more stressful that is for sure but I really enjoyed it. I unfortunately couldn't afford to stay living in the area and moved away and haven't volunteer at another Dept. marriage, kids and life have made it hard to be able to find the hours required to be a great volunteer.

I kinda rambled a whole lot there but I know you can do it. I am sure your training and dedication to the department will set you apart and make you the strongest candidate!!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Hey Jason, good luck with the interview......Let us know how you make out.......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: '12 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:415
gotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nice

Good luck to ya bud!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Jaron!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:46 PM

well the interview was a slight curve ball today.

I certainly was more than prepared for it, but I showed up to the expected panel interview, and I was asked a variety of questions pertaining to the job and me as the candidate. there was no fire scenario or personal situation.

one question asked how I would deal with a conflict between me and another member and then how I would deal with two conflicting members. I suspect that question was designed to more so test my ability to answer multiple questions/multitask coupled with the actual response.

overall I was very prepared and nothing caught me off guard. I have a solid knowledge of interviews, and in a panel type I make sure to address my answers to all individuals, not just the one reading. four of them were immersed in their notes that I couldn't make eye contact with them at all during the interview. I walked ln with dress slacks on, a nice collared button up shirt, all tucked in, dress shoes, fresh hair cut and shave, opposed to the individual before me in jeans and a T-shirt. I also had a perfected cover letter and resume of all fire and military experience and trained in nice binders, one for each member to review. I felt that I made a solid impression, at least on the three chiefs. they're still waiting to schedule 3 other interviews this coming week, so I have some time to fret over it all Haha.

Last edited by double0ram; 03-09-2013 at 02:49 PM.