DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough
Default Hemi "Power"...really?

Towed one Polaris RZR, and two quads up a long hill the other day. I have a 2010 2500 quad cab long bed w/ hemi. I had it in tow mode and it would not get over 2800 rpm with my foot to the floor. I stood on the gas pedal for a while and it would not downshift either. It seems it would kick down to a lower gear and rev up. What gives?? I don't tow a lot and this was my first tow run challenge with this truck and I got to say, VERY DISAPPOINTED! Should have spent the extra on the diesel I guess. Truck runs great overall and have been happy with it until this. My two buddies in the truck with me who both have 1/2 ton trucks were NOT impressed since they have towed up this hill with heavier loads and not had a problem. What do I do now? Hop up the hemi? If so what does everyone think I should do to it?
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Sounds like there is a problem somewhere. My neighbor has the same truck and routinely pulls a 4 horse slantload trailer that's fully loaded and doesn't struggle like that unless it's on a steep hill.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

Just curious...did you have the transmission in tow/haul? I tow 5,000 to 6,000 all the time with my 2010 Hemi and, other than sucky mileage, it pulls great.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I agree something is wrong. You were towing little weight and it wouldn't go. I've towed that much and more with my 4.7L quad cab and it pulled fine. Maybe an issue with the pcm getting confused not downshifting???

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Just because you have an AUTO MATIC transmission
does NOT mean that it does it all automatically
any transmission needs to be manually shifted sometimes

next time that you go up that hill with a load, use Tow Haul, but drop the transmission manually down to 4th gear & hold on, be prepared for launch
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013ram1500 express,3.92,6sp.
Trim Level: ST express
Color: red
Rep:10
rawhide007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunnerseoinc View Post
Towed one Polaris RZR, and two quads up a long hill the other day. I have a 2010 2500 quad cab long bed w/ hemi. I had it in tow mode and it would not get over 2800 rpm with my foot to the floor. I stood on the gas pedal for a while and it would not downshift either. It seems it would kick down to a lower gear and rev up. What gives?? I don't tow a lot and this was my first tow run challenge with this truck and I got to say, VERY DISAPPOINTED! Should have spent the extra on the diesel I guess. Truck runs great overall and have been happy with it until this. My two buddies in the truck with me who both have 1/2 ton trucks were NOT impressed since they have towed up this hill with heavier loads and not had a problem. What do I do now? Hop up the hemi? If so what does everyone think I should do to it?
2800 RPM should be about 80MPH in 5th gear. How fast do you won't to tow uphill?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
2800 RPM should be about 80MPH in 5th gear. How fast do you won't to tow uphill?
Actually I don't know what gearing and tire size is typical for the 2500 but assuming 31" tires and 3.55 gears 2800rpm in 5th would be about 90mph.

And that'd be about 75mph in 4th.

I agree slow it down, keep it under 65-70mph when towing. I don't understand why people think it's safe to tow at such high speeds...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Just because you have an AUTO MATIC transmission
does NOT mean that it does it all automatically
any transmission needs to be manually shifted sometimes

next time that you go up that hill with a load, use Tow Haul, but drop the transmission manually down to 4th gear & hold on, be prepared for launch
Let me rephrase this. The hill was about 2 miles long (rt 414 just south of Watkins Glen, NY) I WAS in tow/haul mode. I manually checked the tranny gear and it was in 2nd. It wouldn't shift lower no matter how long I stepped on the gas. The truck's rpm was dropping but wouldn't shift any lower. It has 3.73 gears with stock 265-70-17 tires. I regret not regearing to 4.56 when I had the LSD's installed. Looking for more power I guess.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like you should bring your truck in to have checked ridgerunner. At 2800 rpm, and you say your transmission was in 2nd? Something sounds wrong man because a Polaris RZR weighs around 1400lbs, and along with two smaller quads say around 7-800lbs a piece if they were singles would net you with only 3000lbs, roughly. Plus lets just say a Carry-On Tandem Axle Utility Trailer at around 1700lbs unloaded for a total of 4700lbs. That's nothing for your 2500 Hemi! Get your truck checked immediately bud. I want to say problems could exist in your TCM/ECU or even your torque converter.

Last edited by Gantman; 10-01-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
Sounds like you should bring your truck in to have checked ridgerunner. At 2800 rpm, and you say your transmission was in 2nd? Something sounds wrong man because a Polaris RZR weighs around 1400lbs, and along with two smaller quads say around 7-800lbs a piece if they were singles would net you with only 3000lbs, roughly. Plus lets just say a Carry-On Tandem Axle Utility Trailer at around 1700lbs unloaded for a total of 4700lbs. That's nothing for your 2500 Hemi! Get your truck checked immediately bud. I want to say problems could exist in your TCM/ECU or even your torque converter.
Couldn't agree more. 2800 RPM in 2nd? Floored? Something is very wrong with that..even with that weight my 1500 would have been flying.

Chrome... in moderation.