DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
Sounds like you should bring your truck in to have checked ridgerunner. At 2800 rpm, and you say your transmission was in 2nd? Something sounds wrong man because a Polaris RZR weighs around 1400lbs, and along with two smaller quads say around 7-800lbs a piece if they were singles would net you with only 3000lbs, roughly. Plus lets just say a Carry-On Tandem Axle Utility Trailer at around 1700lbs unloaded for a total of 4700lbs. That's nothing for your 2500 Hemi! Get your truck checked immediately bud. I want to say problems could exist in your TCM/ECU or even your torque converter.
That weight is about what I figured too. What should the shop look at exactly?
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Actually I don't know what gearing and tire size is typical for the 2500 but assuming 31" tires and 3.55 gears 2800rpm in 5th would be about 90mph.

And that'd be about 75mph in 4th.

I agree slow it down, keep it under 65-70mph when towing. I don't understand why people think it's safe to tow at such high speeds...
While I rarely get over 70 when towing I do if I need to pass. I tow twice a week and if you have the load balanced and a level trailer you have no issues with wobble or sway. Granted stopping distances greatly increase.

90% of guys towing need to invest in an adjustable receiver that way they can completely level the trailer out. Never want the front of the trailer above level and too low in the front increases tongue weight.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/silver trim
Rep:63
TRCM will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikennrg View Post
While I rarely get over 70 when towing I do if I need to pass. I tow twice a week and if you have the load balanced and a level trailer you have no issues with wobble or sway. Granted stopping distances greatly increase.

90% of guys towing need to invest in an adjustable receiver that way they can completely level the trailer out. Never want the front of the trailer above level and too low in the front increases tongue weight.
Maybe not, but did you know 95% of trailer tires any of us would use are only rated for 55 mph ??? Even goodyear says to increase tire pressure 10 psi cold if you are gonna do 65, but nothing about over that.

And in most states, if towing, the speed limit is a lot less than what is posted. Kinda one of them things you are supposed to know ???
Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
Maybe not, but did you know 95% of trailer tires any of us would use are only rated for 55 mph ??? Even goodyear says to increase tire pressure 10 psi cold if you are gonna do 65, but nothing about over that.

And in most states, if towing, the speed limit is a lot less than what is posted. Kinda one of them things you are supposed to know ???
I'm well aware of towing laws in my state. My tires that came with the trailer are P rated(max 93mph) and my state doesn't have a lower speed limit for towing. The speed limit on the interstate I have to use is 65 and 70 in spots.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Also, mpg goes way down towing at high speeds, and transmission temps go way up.

I'm speaking in general here. You say you cruise under 70mph and only go above to pass which I'd say nothing wrong there... If I tow I try to hold 65mph, and will get up to 70-75 max to pass.

I see a lot of morons with improperly loaded trailers and no safety chains(or hooked improperly) driving 80+mph with the trailer swaying back and forth. Just a matter of time before they lose control and kill somebody. I'd say more than 50% of the trailers I see on the road are unsafe or driven in an unsafe manner.

I actually learned from a bad experience when in high school, I was pulling an improperly loaded dump trailer(very heavy....probably 8,000 lb) that I didn't load or look over, had old dry rotted tires and I was pulling it to the dump for a friend. He had a ram 2500 cummins so the truck was very capable. I was cruising about 55-60mph with luckily nobody near me on a 4 lane highway when before I knew what happened the trailer was swaying left to right, I could see it in the mirrors and swear it was pulling around nearly 90 degrees, side to side. Luckily I remained fairly calm and just slightly counter steered and let off the gas and applied very light brake pressure, basically coasting. After a few sways back and forth I regained control, pulled over to find a blown out tire. Not sure if the tire blew and caused the sway or if the sway caused the tire to heat up and blow out. Either way, that was an eye opener, it only takes a second to get out of control. Luckily no one was around me and I was traveling fairly slow. I can say if it would have happened at 70mph there's no way I would have kept the truck on the road, each time the trailer swayed to a side it yanked on the hitch and the back end of the truck would hop off the ground and move over a foot or couple feet. Was a jarring feeling. Or imagine if I was on a 2 lane highway and the trailer swayed into oncoming traffic...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Also, mpg goes way down towing at high speeds, and transmission temps go way up.

I'm speaking in general here. You say you cruise under 70mph and only go above to pass which I'd say nothing wrong there... If I tow I try to hold 65mph, and will get up to 70-75 max to pass.

I see a lot of morons with improperly loaded trailers and no safety chains(or hooked improperly) driving 80+mph with the trailer swaying back and forth. Just a matter of time before they lose control and kill somebody. I'd say more than 50% of the trailers I see on the road are unsafe or driven in an unsafe manner.

I actually learned from a bad experience when in high school, I was pulling an improperly loaded dump trailer(very heavy....probably 8,000 lb) that I didn't load or look over, had old dry rotted tires and I was pulling it to the dump for a friend. He had a ram 2500 cummins so the truck was very capable. I was cruising about 55-60mph with luckily nobody near me on a 4 lane highway when before I knew what happened the trailer was swaying left to right, I could see it in the mirrors and swear it was pulling around nearly 90 degrees, side to side. Luckily I remained fairly calm and just slightly counter steered and let off the gas and applied very light brake pressure, basically coasting. After a few sways back and forth I regained control, pulled over to find a blown out tire. Not sure if the tire blew and caused the sway or if the sway caused the tire to heat up and blow out. Either way, that was an eye opener, it only takes a second to get out of control. Luckily no one was around me and I was traveling fairly slow. I can say if it would have happened at 70mph there's no way I would have kept the truck on the road, each time the trailer swayed to a side it yanked on the hitch and the back end of the truck would hop off the ground and move over a foot or couple feet. Was a jarring feeling. Or imagine if I was on a 2 lane highway and the trailer swayed into oncoming traffic...
I should add that my gross trailer weight is only 2000-2100lbs. I also have my ZTR perfectly centered with the use of faststraps.(these are awesome BTW).

If I keep this trailer I'm going to be adding electric brakes even though I 'm under the required weight.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

op, what were your trans temps while going up the hill.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

ridgerunner; make sure you explain to your service writer exactly what you experienced, especially with you puttin your foot pedal down and nothing happening with kickdown. But if you were already in 2nd gear as stated, I doubt your truck would kickdown to 1st due to rpms already at 2800 in 2nd. They most likely will hook up a scan tool and run diagnosis for any codes or if your truck went into limp mode. You could also ask them to reset or relearn the tranny to stock settings. It wouldn't hurt to have them check specs on your fly by wire throttle/foot pedal as well. Good luck and update us on what you find bud.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 AM

ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
op, what were your trans temps while going up the hill.
I have no idea. The tranny fluid and filters were changed about 5,000 miles ago so should be good there. Fluid levels are good too.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
ridgerunner; make sure you explain to your service writer exactly what you experienced, especially with you puttin your foot pedal down and nothing happening with kickdown. But if you were already in 2nd gear as stated, I doubt your truck would kickdown to 1st due to rpms already at 2800 in 2nd. They most likely will hook up a scan tool and run diagnosis for any codes or if your truck went into limp mode. You could also ask them to reset or relearn the tranny to stock settings. It wouldn't hurt to have them check specs on your fly by wire throttle/foot pedal as well. Good luck and update us on what you find bud.
Thanks. BTW the trailer set up was as good as it gets, ie ballanced load, tongue weight, tires up to psi, bearings lubed etc. Come to think of it the trailer brakes were sticking a bit when I let off of them. I had to set the brakes to the max at 10 or they wouldn't help much.
Ok, maybe I'm lacking power too. Again, any thoughts on improving power? I could care less what parts look like, I want results - function over form.