DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Brakes

Notices

Brakes Brake Maintenance and Replacement

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Kimo is on a distinguished road
Default Parking brake doesn't hold

I have a 1997 Ram 1500 extended cab, manual shift. The parking brake pedal goes almost all the way down and won't hold the truck. I have adjusted the cable under the truck almost to the end of the threads still hardly holds. Today I replaced the adjuster star wheel assembly and the adjuster lever. They were worn but made no difference.
I don't see anything wrong with the cables and can't believe they could have stretched that much but guess it is possible??????
Only thing I know to try next is replacing the cables????
Anyone ever experienced this or have any suggestions?
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4(Rambox)
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
Colorado700R is on a distinguished road

What are the condition of the brake drums/ pads? Rear brakes can fade without overt affects to normal driving activities.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The shoes might need adjusted. Make sure they are adjusted to where they are making contact nearly evenly, then adjust the parking brake. Otherwise I'd agree stretched cable only other option.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

^^^ Agreed. Sounds like the brakes are way out of adjustment. Stretched cables are a rare problem.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Base
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Kimo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. However, Yeaaa I now have a parking brake that works very well thank you very much. I had replaced the shoes and the hardware for the shoes. No e-brake. I did notice that the right cable had the outside shielding deteriorated and crush together at the bend around the gas tank. Since everything else seemed to be working I went to Advance and got cables. They sold me the wrong cable - was too short. So I sucked it up and went to the dealer. Was pleasantly surprised that the price was close to the discount store. And they were a perfect fit. Even fit through the frame bracket close to the left rear wheel which the other ones did not. And they have the rubber dust cups that go on the outside of brake backing plate. The ones from Advance just had a rubber washer.
So the bottom line is I found that both of my original cables had a place at the bend where the outer shielding had crushed together. My thinking is that in effect would make the cable longer. Thus I could not adjust them at the take up bolt.
The only thing I don't understand is how the left side cable is pulled tight when applying the e-brake. The right side cable extends from the connector to the main cable through the take up bolt bracket and over to the right brake shoe. How does that ever pull on the left side???