DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

what was their reason?????

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
what was their reason?????
He said it really wasn't necessary because of the SS they use and it could get chipped and start cracking and look like hell. I cant believe they would not want to make more money by coating them. So I took his recommendation.
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 02 Truck
Rep:10
CCPCoatings.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOZER View Post
Well I just got off the phone with Mike from ARH. Headers are ordered however when I asked about the ceramic coating he said they recommend against it and talked me out of it saving me $400. I guess this thread was all for nothing. I also mentioned the forum and got a discount.
LOL, what was their reasoning for not coating them or wrapping them?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 PM

The reasons I wanted it in the first place was for heat reduction and looks. Thinking about it, how much power could I really loose due to heat between coated and un-coated. I'm not taking it to the track where a horse or two will make a difference. The cost would have made me rethink it anyway.
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Oh yeah well the SS will discolor but it should last a long time. I thought you wanted the ceramic coating for the look(won't discolor). It can chip but if done well it'd probably last the life of the headers.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM

You do supposedly gain some power but I'd agree it's not worth the cost. Likely VERY minimal. Main purpose IMO is looks.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Oh yeah well the SS will discolor but it should last a long time. I thought you wanted the ceramic coating for the look(won't discolor). It can chip but if done well it'd probably last the life of the headers.
Looks was secondary to heat reduction.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 02 Truck
Rep:10
CCPCoatings.com is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Ceramic Coating Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOZER View Post
Looks was secondary to heat reduction.
I assumed you were doing it for looks as well. The negative of under hood temps is hot air migrating into induction and potentially affecting any sensitive electronics in proximity to the headers. The benefits to wrapping or coating is that if you keep the heat in the exhaust it will actually improve scavenging, HP and mileage. As for cost, the 400 seems crazy. I assume this was ARH sending them out and marking them up or maybe. Wrap would cost you a 75-125 or so and Ceramic Coating can be had for 250-300.

They've given you the standard BS as to why they don't want you to wrap or coat their headers. The moral of that story is they want to avoid any warranty issues. If they have any MFG issues these could potentially come out as a result. This is a bit surprising in that we coated a set of ARH headers for a customer with a 2011 mustang. This is the first set we have ever seen but they were actually pretty decent quality so I’m surprised they’ve taken that stance.

We've coated headers, exhaust systems and assorted turbo components for over 10 years. Most of the applications we see are in the 1000hp – 4000hp+ range which I would venture to say is a bit more aggressive than your average street truck. That being said, in all that time the limited failures we’ve seen have been the direct result of poor design or mfg. We have NEVER seen a failure caused by wrapping or coating. I think more often than not, some of these systems have failed due to other problems and they just happened to be coated or wrapped. Do you think your header builder is going to tell you that his weld failed or that your header failed because YOU did something to it?

Many builders use thinner gauge SS vs there mild steel counter parts because of SS’s greater strength. This often times bites them in the butt, especially when the header has some structural stresses on them when they are supporting turbo’s or excessive vibration due to its application. The other cause of failure is the result of poor welds. Most mass produced SS headers are not back gasses which can result in a brittle, crystallized weld.

My advice is to drive your truck today and pay CLOSE attention to your under hood temps. I think you are going to find that your temps are going to be considerably higher with the new headers installed. If that’s not a big deal by itself, wait until they start to look crappy over the next year or so and wrap or Ceramic Coat them at that time…. Like you said, a few HP here or there isn't going to make a big difference, but all the gains may seem a bit more attractive a year from now.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
FromFordtoRAM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPCoatings.com View Post
I assumed you were doing it for looks as well. The negative of under hood temps is hot air migrating into induction and potentially affecting any sensitive electronics in proximity to the headers. The benefits to wrapping or coating is that if you keep the heat in the exhaust it will actually improve scavenging, HP and mileage. As for cost, the 400 seems crazy. I assume this was ARH sending them out and marking them up or maybe. Wrap would cost you a 75-125 or so and Ceramic Coating can be had for 250-300.

They've given you the standard BS as to why they don't want you to wrap or coat their headers. The moral of that story is they want to avoid any warranty issues. If they have any MFG issues these could potentially come out as a result. This is a bit surprising in that we coated a set of ARH headers for a customer with a 2011 mustang. This is the first set we have ever seen but they were actually pretty decent quality so I’m surprised they’ve taken that stance.

We've coated headers, exhaust systems and assorted turbo components for over 10 years. Most of the applications we see are in the 1000hp – 4000hp+ range which I would venture to say is a bit more aggressive than your average street truck. That being said, in all that time the limited failures we’ve seen have been the direct result of poor design or mfg. We have NEVER seen a failure caused by wrapping or coating. I think more often than not, some of these systems have failed due to other problems and they just happened to be coated or wrapped. Do you think your header builder is going to tell you that his weld failed or that your header failed because YOU did something to it?

Many builders use thinner gauge SS vs there mild steel counter parts because of SS’s greater strength. This often times bites them in the butt, especially when the header has some structural stresses on them when they are supporting turbo’s or excessive vibration due to its application. The other cause of failure is the result of poor welds. Most mass produced SS headers are not back gasses which can result in a brittle, crystallized weld.

My advice is to drive your truck today and pay CLOSE attention to your under hood temps. I think you are going to find that your temps are going to be considerably higher with the new headers installed. If that’s not a big deal by itself, wait until they start to look crappy over the next year or so and wrap or Ceramic Coat them at that time…. Like you said, a few HP here or there isn't going to make a big difference, but all the gains may seem a bit more attractive a year from now.

Those are some beautiful pics!!