DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
TexasHog is on a distinguished road
Default How to Route CB Radio Coax into Cab?

Looking to buy a set of dual firestik 3' fiberglass antennae, going to mount them on bed rails behind the cab. (i know it isnt ideal for signal strength, but it has to look good too

Where the heck am I going to route the cables into the cab? I know with mag mounts on the roof it is possible to go through the 3rd brake light. That would look less than pleasing with duals. i'm stumped on ideas.

I do not have a sliding rear window, its a 2003 1500 SLT quad cab.

Any help and PICS appreciated. Also, anyone mount there CB on top of the dash? i've 3m'ed mine in a few different places, haven't been happy yet (bench seat, for those of you who are more creative than me and want to scheme haha)

TxHog
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am not positive, but look under the rear of your cab
I would be surprised if you don't see a couple of rubber plugs in the body sheet metal under there.
If not, you can drill into the sheet metal, after pulling the inside carpeting away a bit.
Find a convenient place, making the hole the correct size for a split rubber grommet that is used for wiring, the sheet metal is protected on both sides by the correct type of grommet & the wire goes through the center. After the wire is where you want it, with a just a bit of slack. Use some silicone to seal everything in.
The wire can then be run under the carpeting, & door sill plates, to whatever location that you want it to be.
I guess you could just run the wire along the frame all the way to the front firewall, but it would not look as good
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:57
Gibbonboy will become famous soon enough

I will (hopefully) be routing cables for my radio install tomorrow. I'll crawl around and see what I find. Not sure how similar our trucks are, mine is an 05. I mount my antennas in the roof, so the cable is routed over the headliner, but I'll see if I can figure a good way to get yours into the cab.

Never mount a mobile radio on top of the dash, or anywhere else, unless you use screws/bolts and a proper bracket to fix it in place. Any sort of accident will make that radio a missile inside the cab! Velcro, tape, anything short of a whole lot of epoxy will not hold during an impact. Plus the sun on the dash is terrible for electronics. I am mounting the remote head for my mobile in the cubby under the heater controls, the cubby is too shallow to mount the whole radio, but your CB might be shorter. I'm putting the base unit and speaker in the bottom of the center seat/console. I'll post some pics from under my truck and hopefully have some suggestions for you tomorrow sometime.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Flame Red
Rep:57
Gibbonboy will become famous soon enough

I crawled around and under the truck on Friday, didn't see anything obvious that would work easily to get a cable into the truck. There is a vent or something on the passenger side rear of the cab, just off centerline and up pretty high, not sure what it's for. Best bet would be to pull the seat and see what's back there. Grommets are cheap, just be sure to paint the edges of the hole to avoid rust.

Also, the best way is to pull the bare cable through a smaller hole and add the PL-259 after, makes running cables much easier, unless you are not confident in your ability to solder a 259 properly, then you'll need at least a 3/4" hole to fit it through. I'll be doing a writeup soon on my install with lots of pictures. If you have any other questions, let me know.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Color: Gray
Rep:48
ShiftJockey is on a distinguished road

If there's no grommet under the truck or behind the cab you can get to, I'd just run the coax all the way to the front (securing it as I go with cable ties), then pop it through a firewall grommet. You can even wrap the coax with some tape or heat shrink to protect it.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

That vent is the cab vent, on some Rams that has been a leaking point
I don't think that you want to run any cables into the sides of the body
I have electrical wiring that runs down, between the inner & outer bed panels on the passenger side, then down to the frame & along it for about 6", then it enters the cab through the floor.
Then i have another set of wires in the bed of the drivers side, those installers left the wiring exposed in the bed, if i want to put anything back in that corner, i have to keep the wiring in mind. I have a large toolbox/auxiliary gas tank back there, so i don't really see it, it just could have been done better
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

This is the type of grommets to use, they also make them with a split outer ring
the outside groove is where the sheet metal fits in

http://www.autowiringsolutions.com/c...y_id=97&page=3