DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 3500
Color: White
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
UrbanTorqueMonster is on a distinguished road
Default To good to be true?

Howdy All... I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a 2008 Dodge RAM with Cummins Turbo Diesel. This was the only section that I could find dedicated to the Cummins Diesel trucks so this is why I've posted my question here... There is a fuel economy gauge readout on the roof... its telling me I'm getting around between 18-20 MPG on the highway. I don't see it going down much during city driving... is this thing way over optimistic?

If so, can anyone chime in and tell me expected city and Hwy mpg... I know its a truck so I am not expecting much... just wondering how these things do.
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 reg cab
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:155
99gp has a spectacular aura about99gp has a spectacular aura about

Your best bet would be hand calculate it. Next fill up rest your trip, and then when you fill up again you divide miles driven by gallons used. Best way to check your overhead read out. Mine is normally right or just a little off, unless i reset it
Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTorqueMonster View Post
Howdy All... I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a 2008 Dodge RAM with Cummins Turbo Diesel. This was the only section that I could find dedicated to the Cummins Diesel trucks so this is why I've posted my question here... There is a fuel economy gauge readout on the roof... its telling me I'm getting around between 18-20 MPG on the highway. I don't see it going down much during city driving... is this thing way over optimistic?

If so, can anyone chime in and tell me expected city and Hwy mpg... I know its a truck so I am not expecting much... just wondering how these things do.
First off welcome.
Secondly are you completely stock or deleted with a tuner?
Stock I was getting 16-17mpg highway and 11-12mpg city, once I deleted and I climbed up to 21-22mpg highway and 15-16mpg city per the overhead readout. Mine seems to be about 1-2mpg off (high side) compared to hand calculated.
Have you reset the overhead at all? It's cumulative so the longer between resets the less accurate it gets for real time readings.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Z Friend! Glad to have you aboard and don't forget to post pics and keep 'em coming too. Everyone loves Ram photos of all kinds. Enjoy all the info and great photos, jokes, and just all around Ram fun! See ya round the Z!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

That mileage sounds right for highway use. City use will obviously be somewhat less.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:55 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 & 2011 Wrangler
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:35
Wandell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRQC View Post
First off welcome.
Stock I was getting 16-17mpg highway and 11-12mpg city, once I deleted and I climbed up to 21-22mpg highway and 15-16mpg city per the overhead readout. Mine seems to be about 1-2mpg off (high side) compared to hand calculated.
Have you reset the overhead at all? It's cumulative so the longer between resets the less accurate it gets for real time readings.
Right. I just finished my deletes recently. Today with the cruise set a t 70 mph, my dash indicator was showing 19 to 19.4 MPG's. And that is with 37 inch tall tires!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 3500
Color: White
Rep:10
UrbanTorqueMonster is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Guys!

Hey Fellas,

Thank you very much for your helpful replies and friendly welcome! A few questions on some of the replies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gp View Post
Your best bet would be hand calculate it. Next fill up rest your trip, and then when you fill up again you divide miles driven by gallons used. Best way to check your overhead read out. Mine is normally right or just a little off, unless i reset it
I understand the process but other than eyeballing it off the gauge, I am wondering is there a readout available that will give you exactly how many gallons of fuel are in the tank? I hope this isn't too dumb to be asking, I am totally new to this truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRQC View Post
First off welcome.
I am stock. Could you tell me more detail about "deleted with a tuner"? I think you're referring to the process where a tuner device is connected to the OBDII and a few changes to settings are made... is this correct? I presume this could professionally done at a Dodge Ram specialized performance shop. Do you know how much a specialty shop would charge for this? Or, is it really easy and I just have to buy the tuner myself and know the settings to change?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 reg cab
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:155
99gp has a spectacular aura about99gp has a spectacular aura about

First I can't answer the question on if you have a feature for how many gallons are in the tank as your electronics are different then my 2003. I know that I have a mpg(average since last reset), miles till empty, and time and mile log(since last reset).

Next they are talking about programmers, like handheld ones, or dash mounted ones. I don't think dealers will change your tune for you so it is purchasing a unit yourself.

Last edited by 99gp; 10-05-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 & 2011 Wrangler
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:35
Wandell is on a distinguished road

"Deleted" refers to removing/disabling the emissions equipment on your engine. Mainly it is refering to the EGR system and the DPF filter on the exhaust. Most people report a 2 to 4 mpg increase when "deleting" their Cummins 6.7.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTorqueMonster View Post
Hey Fellas,

Thank you very much for your helpful replies and friendly welcome! A few questions on some of the replies...

I understand the process but other than eyeballing it off the gauge, I am wondering is there a readout available that will give you exactly how many gallons of fuel are in the tank? I hope this isn't too dumb to be asking, I am totally new to this truck.

I am stock. Could you tell me more detail about "deleted with a tuner"? I think you're referring to the process where a tuner device is connected to the OBDII and a few changes to settings are made... is this correct? I presume this could professionally done at a Dodge Ram specialized performance shop. Do you know how much a specialty shop would charge for this? Or, is it really easy and I just have to buy the tuner myself and know the settings to change?
The best way to hand calculate is to fill the truck up until the pump stops then reset your trip meter. The next time you fill up do so until the pump stops on it's own ( the most accurate way to measure how much fuel you used) then devide the numbers. I.E 10 gallon to full up and you drove 200 miles = 20mpg..

As far as a tuner goes... Check out H&S http://www.hsperformance.com/mini-ma...dodge-cummins/
Thats what I have and I love it. Well worth evey penny spent. Between the digital gauges to see what the engine and tranny is doing to the extra power it allows for (I run the "Hot" 175hp tune). Anywhere from stock power level to 60+ 120+ or 175+. Fuel economy increased too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandell View Post
"Deleted" refers to removing/disabling the emissions equipment on your engine. Mainly it is refering to the EGR system and the DPF filter on the exhaust. Most people report a 2 to 4 mpg increase when "deleting" their Cummins 6.7.
This
I have a 4" straight pipe from the turbo back with a free-flow straight through muffler that does little more than assorb some noise.
Another thing that you can do that wont cost you anything is to unplug the EGR valve. It's a brown plug on the right (drivers) side of the engine on top. It will throw an check engine light, but it will net you an increase in fuel economy. (With a tuner you wont have a check engine light)
I don't know how it happend but mine came unplugged and the connector sealed itself up (to keep it safe from the elements).. Other added bonus is not recirculating exhaust back into your engine so you will have cleaner oil and map sensor. ...

Oh and another reason to "delete" ... you wont have regens, so no more wasted fuel (to burn the crap inside the DPF) no diluted oil from the regens (the fuel thins out the oil which leads to more frequent oil changes)..
The truck will drive like its supposed to... it wont feel like its choked out when you step on the skinny peddle.

ok im done