DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:33
Copperhead Ram is on a distinguished road

Just remember that while 4x4 makes it easier to drive through snow, only a dedicated winter tire will help you steer, brake, and drive on ice. I see so many 4x4s crashed and/or rolled over at the side of the highway with their all-season tires on. If you live in an area that often has black ice on the roads/highways, do yourself a favor and buy a good set of winter tires.
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector View Post
Just remember that while 4x4 makes it easier to drive through snow, only a dedicated winter tire will help you steer, brake, and drive on ice. I see so many 4x4s crashed and/or rolled over at the side of the highway with their all-season tires on. If you live in an area that often has black ice on the roads/highways, do yourself a favor and buy a good set of winter tires.
Good point
I may just do this.
But do they make winter tires is 35's or 37's?
Doubt the 37's but 35's would be the smallest I'd run

Anything smaller and my truck will look like its on roller skates
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:10
themightye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
all different kinds of snow and the stock gy on my sport didn't do well. "wrangler hp" in the wet, powder or hard packed snow. op, what tires are you running now.
Goodyear Wrangler HP P275/60SR20

Last edited by themightye; 10-08-2012 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Added size
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

I guess I was wrong. I should say that there can be an argument found for using specialty items in every case. It simply depends in your funds, need, and who you talk to. I have gotten through many winters here in Maine, and around the world, without using specialty tires. I don't want to say I am a professional driver, but having driven many different vehicles from motorcycles, to 10 ton equipment haulers and almost every type of construction equipment made including huge rear dumps etc. I just assumed everyone has my level of driving skill on the road. That is def not the case and i should rephrase my answer. If you are confident in your driving skills with a 4wd vehicle using all season (all season should include winter?) and don't have 1500 dollars to spend, then use 4wd and drive within the limits of the road conditions and use your head. This should get you through the winter without incident. However if you are not a seasoned driver, or have been known to drive beyond the road conditions, don't know how to use 4wd to your advantage in poor road conditions, have 1500 extra dollars to spend on tires (you will need a set of extra wheels as well there is another 125 or so each) then by all means, PLEASE get the winter tires so you don't kill yourself or someone else.
I used the stock All Season tires this past winter, I will use them again this winter, and I have never purchased a set of dedicated winter tires for a 4wd truck in my life. That being said, I should have specified these conditions when I answered. I gave you the short answer, next time I will give the long answer.
Asur is absolutely right in everything he said BTW, those conditions should be applied to your considerations.
Just my .02 cents
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with jacksonsnorth and this is what a forum is all about, different angles on a same subject. All opinions are valid, they make you think about your own situation and the responsibility needed to operate a motorized Vehicle in an environment where your not alone. I raced cars on snow, ice, dirt and pavement pro wise for years, all that experience is incredibly useful to me on our roads, but sometimes the other guy (or woman, usually a woman)pulls something on you that you just can't comprehend, on that perfect -20 degree sunny day weather on nice clean pavement and your reaction will be there, ready to get out of the situation but your tires wont cut it. I rather have the reaction and the equipment that will get me out of someone else stupid situation cause they are dumb ass. It only takes that 1% time to destroy 99% of your life, your investment and your beloved truck. I don't condone anyone for using the wrong products at the wrong time cause they can't afford it or don't think its needed. I just hate to see rolled over vehicles cause of there decisions. Takes but one kid running out of there driveway behind parked cars, happy as shit to go play hockey with his buddies, and one cannot stop because of his decision for the wrong equipment. Seen it, not a pretty site. If your on your own land and you want to flip out or crash whatever, or take the chance i will never get cold, that's up to whoever wants. but when you go out on the road and share it with others, one must take the responsibility of there actions, in the environment they will use that vehicle. I don't own a winter tire company and I am not trying to sell winter equipment and make commissions on it, just don't want to loose my life or that of another cause someone figured regular tires was OK for a cold day in winter. JMO

don't kill the messenger

Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
Good point
I may just do this.
But do they make winter tires is 35's or 37's?
Doubt the 37's but 35's would be the smallest I'd run

Anything smaller and my truck will look like its on roller skates
Apparently BFG All-Terrain T/A KO are Rated winter tire. They have the Snowflake on it, not the M+T. Might want to look in on them.

other say
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

I have used these on all my SUV's and Trucks and love them.

I read you can contact them and they have sizes up to 33 and 35

Might be worth a shot?

Last edited by Asur; 10-08-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Apparently BFG All-Terrain T/A KO are Rated winter tire. They have the Snowflake on it, not the M+T. Might want to look in on them.

other say
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

I have used these on all my SUV's and Trucks and love them.

I read you can contact them and they have sizes up to 33 and 35

Might be worth a shot?

Asur, as you know, I got an 11" lift, so 33's will look RIDICULOUS! That may be an understatement....LOL
The only tires that I know that go up to or close to 37's is Nitto Terra and I hear they are pretty decent in winter.
But I will look into what you mentioned above.
I know the BFG are quite expensive....
Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:73
Rayne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonsnorth View Post
Is it 2wd or 4x4? If it is 4x4, then no. Run the stock 20s you will get enough traction to get you through, I live in Maine and we get plenty of snow and no issues with mine. If it is 2wd. I would put some weight in the back and test it in the first snow before I made an expensive purchase of tires. good luck friend.
Sorry but 4x4 does nothing to help stopping or turning on slippery conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector View Post
Couldnt have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
I have had the BFG KO's on my truck and my last truck and cant really recommend them for the winter. they may have the winter snowflake symbol on them but that doesn't make them a good winter tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
Asur, as you know, I got an 11" lift, so 33's will look RIDICULOUS! That may be an understatement....LOL
Haha! I feel for ya. I see sooo many big lifted trucks around here that look so silly in the winter time when they put their small little 33" winter tires on.

Around here we have snow on the ground from November until mid April. This means that roads almost always have compacted snow or ice on them for 5 months of the year. So a dedicated true winter tire is a must and a relatively small investment to protect my $50,000 truck, or more importantly my health and the safety of others.
Recon 3rd Brake Light & Spyder Tails | AVS Vents | OEM Flares
WeatherTech Floorliners & ClearCovers | Black Honeycomb Grill

Last edited by Rayne; 10-10-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

Ok Rayne:
your quote "Sorry but 4x4 does nothing to help stopping or turning on slippery conditions."
I agree that stopping on slippery conditions has nothing to do with 4wd. I totally disagree that 4wd does nothing when turning. I can 100% guarantee you that 4wd will impact a turn on slippery conditions. Acceleration with 4wd when turning will increase stability of your turn in poor conditions, albeit depending on the tire config how much it impacts it. Think about that before you reply to that one please.
I have operated vehicles of all sizes and in many different degrees of poor conditions all over the world. I can agree with you that a dedicated winter tire will absolutely increase your chances of stopping and improve your handling in poor conditions where temperatures are lower than 45 degrees Fahrenheit. This is due to the fact that all season tires are made of a harder rubber compound to add tire life to the tire. Winter tires are made of a softer rubber compound that increases your traction but has a shorter life span overall. I would totally agree with everyone that a dedicated winter tire is a smart idea if it applies. Do I run them every winter? No.
I do agree also that even though I am confident in my driving skills and current tire config, it only takes 1 idiot pulling out in front of me at the wrong place to cause an issue where I would be at fault. I also would say, that can happen no matter what you run for tires an that is why they call it an accident. That being said, everyone here has alot of varying opinions and that is what makes it interesting. My scribbling is just my opinion and I hope it was informative or amusing.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Haha! I feel for ya. I see sooo many big lifted trucks around here that look so silly in the winter time when they put their small little 33" winter tires on.
This may be me this winter. LOL