DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 4th Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Crew 4wd
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
bigdeezy357 is on a distinguished road
Default Tires and lift

I'm a newbie here so please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, still trying to navigate correctly. I have a ram crew 1500 bighorn, getting ready to lift it and was just curios about some things. I will be putting a six inch lift and probably a 1-2 inch body lift on 20 inch wheels. My question is what would be a good 37x12.50 tire that has a aggressive look with low noise and great tread life. It is my daily driver so 90% of the time it will be on pavement. with the occasional chance i might get into some mud. The main reason i bought the truck is for one reason.....snow I work at a prison and when it snows nobody can get out of our parking lot, when that happens you have two options. Sleep in your truck and freeze or go back inside and work for three days straight. And i took a ski trip to new mexico last year in my 2wd f150 and got stuck.....sad thing is my friend in a 4wd jimmy had to pull me out. So embarissing. Sorry to ramble on but that in a nutshell is my question.
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 BIG HORN Crew4x4
Color: Bright Silver
manndhb3 is on a distinguished road

I would strongly reccomend Toyo's. I have a buddy who drove from Ft Campbell KY to Tampa FL on 3 different occasions and his tread still looks new. Here is a link to them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Toyo-Tires-Ope...rds=toyo+37+20

JBA Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Y Pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler, K&N 63 Series CAI, AirAid Throttle Body Spacer, Retrofit Cabin Air Filter, Mopar RAM Slush Mats, Hypertech Calibrator, Stubby Antenna, DeeZee Tailgate, Debadged, Westin Step Bars, Westin Bull Bar, Putco Chrome Mirror Covers, Rampage LED Light Bar, Truxedo Rollup Tonneau, Rhino Lining, Bushwacker Color Matched Fender Flares, Rough Country 3.75 Combo Lift, 35x1250 MTs, Remote Start, Sunroof
Old 10-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Reeltuna17 is on a distinguished road

I have Nitto Trial Grappler's on my truck the tires look very aggressive but their road noise has been very minimal and i have driven from long island to the keys 2 times with them tred is still like new and they run very well in the snow.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Those are the 2 most common choices of tires. Copper is another one
Toyo MY is quieter than Nitto Trail Grappler (I have it and its not loud for what it is). But trail is more aggressive looking.
Both these if rotated often will last a while
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks to all of you for the advise, I've decided to hold off on the lift and tires gonna do some other smaller mods first and then when that is done i will go ahead with the BIG purchases. As far as the tires go, after pondering my driving style and terrain i think i'll be better suited with the open country A/T. Don't get me wrong I love the way the trails and the M/T from toyo look, I just think it will be a waste of a good tire. At the end of the day I'm just a City boy who works to much to go out and play on a regular basis.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeezy357 View Post
Thanks to all of you for the advise, I've decided to hold off on the lift and tires gonna do some other smaller mods first and then when that is done i will go ahead with the BIG purchases. As far as the tires go, after pondering my driving style and terrain i think i'll be better suited with the open country A/T. Don't get me wrong I love the way the trails and the M/T from toyo look, I just think it will be a waste of a good tire. At the end of the day I'm just a City boy who works to much to go out and play on a regular basis.
Hey, its a good thing you know what you want and need.
If you DO NOT need the MT tire, why get it.
They are heavier and there is more rolling resistance.
That said, good call on the Toyo MT. Also look into the Nitto Terra Grappler.
Another good AT tire with great reviews
Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
sterling archer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great attitude! I can tell you from personal experience from someone who just dropped about 3K on a level and tires/wheels that I'm not at all happy with the outcome as far as ride. I went with the rough country level and 35 Grapplers wrapped around 20's. Horrid ride afterwards. I have left the level kit on for now and put the factory tires back on...big difference. The problem is that I got too damn excited and just started modding without doing enough legwork. Totally my fault and I have a smidge of buyers remorse. Definitely do your homework and this is one of the best places to do it.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling archer View Post
Great attitude! I can tell you from personal experience from someone who just dropped about 3K on a level and tires/wheels that I'm not at all happy with the outcome as far as ride. I went with the rough country level and 35 Grapplers wrapped around 20's. Horrid ride afterwards. I have left the level kit on for now and put the factory tires back on...big difference. The problem is that I got too damn excited and just started modding without doing enough legwork. Totally my fault and I have a smidge of buyers remorse. Definitely do your homework and this is one of the best places to do it.
Trail Grapplers or Mud Grapplers....
Yes there is slightly more noise on the trail but they are pretty comfortable.

But I do agree with what you said above.
Go with what you can benefit from more.
AT Tires seem to work for many people
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Just out of curiosity, do i really need to change my gears from 3.55 to 3.92 for 35-37" tires? Like I said i don't really go off road, mainly I highway driver. I ask because I hear that bigger tires and stock 3.55 gears can cause strain on your Trans. I didn't know if 35-37 tires fit in that category? Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, do i really need to change my gears from 3.55 to 3.92 for 35-37" tires? Like I said i don't really go off road, mainly I highway driver. I ask because I hear that bigger tires and stock 3.55 gears can cause strain on your Trans. I didn't know if 35-37 tires fit in that category? Any thoughts?
You do not need to swap gears....the 3.55 and Hemi can handle it, however I am not a mechanic, but it will just feel slower off the start.
I know quite a few members here who have 3.55's and 37's and have had it for over 2 years without issue.