DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Economy
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Goatboy is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission problems (New thread with better title :)

Just wanted to make a better titled thread and focus more on the issue. Ok so its been 10 days since last my trans acted up. Dealer is suppose to fix it but didnt wanna take a perfectly working trans in and have em go... ya right. So finally today it acted up again.

The details: Seems to only act up when warm as opposed to the more normal when cold story. When it does act up I lose 1st and overdrive (just noticed that today or this is the first time overdrive dropped as well). Truck will start out from a dead stop super sluggish. When I manually put it into 2nd it seems to work a bit better. In first no difference manually. At lower speeds, it accelerates just fine because its at a more normal speed for second gear. No overdrive as the RPM at 60 was about 3500 and normal is about 2100.

Going to drive it tomorrow and hope I can get it to act up again and THEN take it in. Just wanted any ideas or comments as to know issues with this kinda acting up. Was thinking it was odd that it would run great for 10 days and then act up for no reason again. Day temps are a few degrees cooler, say 90 instead of 95. I didnt run it any different. Infact, never got over 50 and only drove it for maybe 8 miles when it started up again. Anyways, just looking for some comments / suggestions. Am kinda hoping its a problem with the PCM but how the heck could you know?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
Just wanted to make a better titled thread and focus more on the issue. Ok so its been 10 days since last my trans acted up. Dealer is suppose to fix it but didnt wanna take a perfectly working trans in and have em go... ya right. So finally today it acted up again.

The details: Seems to only act up when warm as opposed to the more normal when cold story. When it does act up I lose 1st and overdrive (just noticed that today or this is the first time overdrive dropped as well). Truck will start out from a dead stop super sluggish. When I manually put it into 2nd it seems to work a bit better. In first no difference manually. At lower speeds, it accelerates just fine because its at a more normal speed for second gear. No overdrive as the RPM at 60 was about 3500 and normal is about 2100.

Going to drive it tomorrow and hope I can get it to act up again and THEN take it in. Just wanted any ideas or comments as to know issues with this kinda acting up. Was thinking it was odd that it would run great for 10 days and then act up for no reason again. Day temps are a few degrees cooler, say 90 instead of 95. I didnt run it any different. Infact, never got over 50 and only drove it for maybe 8 miles when it started up again. Anyways, just looking for some comments / suggestions. Am kinda hoping its a problem with the PCM but how the heck could you know?
Well I would go to the dealer and have them rebuild it or something. What it could be is the electronics in the transmission or the seals, generally the difference in temperature will make a small difference in pressure and viscosity so if there is a leaking seal it would perform better cold but not this case I guess. The only way to find out if it's electronics is too hook up a GOOD scan tool like a Snap On 2500 them new ones they got or the chrysler DRB 3 scan tool.

And 2100 RPM for 60 MPH is horrible, that's if you have a 3.55 axle ratio even so it's horrible for that vehicle. I have 235/75/R15 wheels, 3.55 axle ratio, and I am at about 1600-1700 RPM for 57-63 MPH. But I did build the transmission and it does have zero slip and a 90+% efficiency. Eitherway something sounds fishy for 2100 RPM at 60 MPH, could be the torque converter clutch isn't engaging but that would only make about a 3-8% difference but slipping would cause that high RPM, a axle ratio like 3.92 and up would, small tires would. Etc... But yea get that transmission either replaced or rebuilt.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:16 AM

Well took the truck in today. I didnt drive it yesterday and started it today and it instantly started with the issue. So took it in. Am guessing it will be weeks before I see it again. Ill have to go back though, they gave me a totally crap Lincoln town car that the windows dont even roll down lol. Oh well at least they are fixing it. How much they do to fix it will be another thing to see.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 AM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Please keep us updated and let us know how you make out.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 AM

Just wanted to give a quick update. Took the truck in about 2 weeks ago. Just happened to be the same day the dealership was set to do some kinda sells thing in a different town for 10 days. Well they "forgot" to have their mechanic work on it so, as of last friday it was finally put on the lift. Will repost when I know something. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 AM

Ok time for an update.... and its about time. But before you applaud, I dont have my truck back yet.

So seeing how its been 2 weeks since I last posted and I finally got word of whats going on, Id thought to share. I called in Friday before last to see how things were going. Was told that they dealerships mechanic had been chasing possible causes. He ended up doing a bit of rewiring of plugs and this and that and at one point thought he had it, then both the engine and trans acted up, did some more rewired and got it back to where it was when I took it in... The plan at that point was to take it into a trans shop. By trans shop I am pretty sure the same general shop that was suppose to fix it before. In any event thats where it went. Called in last Thursday and was told the trans shop found that the pump in the trans was bad and getting replaced and that I could hopefully pick it up today. No word from the dealership yet.

So that is where I stand. I am getting so anxious for my truck I have resorted to taking their loaner (older Lincoln town car) off road to do some fishing Its a total piece anyways. Bad trans, windows dont roll down (bad thing to give a smoker .

Anyways, I have been reading posts and going over the forums for things I want to do to upgrade my 318. Ill make a new post when I get my truck and start picking brains then. Thanks
Old 09-30-2012, 01:03 AM

Yet another UPDATE:

Well called the dealer today and asked about my truck and was told its still at the DODGE dealer ship. Turns out the trans shop they took it to this time was the actual Dodge dealer ship. The freaking funny thing is when they took it in, they told the dealership its most likely the PCM. They told em everything they did and the dealership said it would have to be re done with something else replaced and it was not the PCM because it wasnt giving an error code. Well they let the dealership do their thing and afterwards when it didnt fix it, they said, well it must be the PCM...

I didnt mention it but I had done a couple of weeks of research on what could of been the problem before all of this. When I first bought the truck, I told the dealership what was wrong. That the PCM was coding as failed and of course the 3 inch piece of snap ring off a clutch pack. When i heard how cheaply they did the original attempt to fix it, I knew they had just flashed the PCM instead of replacing. So when it came time to give it to em a second time I told them, from everything I have read and how the truck acts, the PCM needs to be replaced and not just flashed. How sweet it was to hear them to have told the other dealership its the PCM only to have them ignore it.

So the update is, the used dealer ship, if they had listed to me when I told em about the 200 flashed to vin refurb PCM, wouldnt be out nearly 2500 and Id of had my truck back long long ago. As it is, my new PCM will not be here till mid next week. SOOOOO am hoping by Friday but am not holding my breath. I just WANT MY TRUCK!!! I was just being to enjoy her.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:39 AM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yet another UPDATE:

Well called the dealer today and asked about my truck and was told its still at the DODGE dealer ship. Turns out the trans shop they took it to this time was the actual Dodge dealer ship. The freaking funny thing is when they took it in, they told the dealership its most likely the PCM. They told em everything they did and the dealership said it would have to be re done with something else replaced and it was not the PCM because it wasnt giving an error code. Well they let the dealership do their thing and afterwards when it didnt fix it, they said, well it must be the PCM...

I didnt mention it but I had done a couple of weeks of research on what could of been the problem before all of this. When I first bought the truck, I told the dealership what was wrong. That the PCM was coding as failed and of course the 3 inch piece of snap ring off a clutch pack. When i heard how cheaply they did the original attempt to fix it, I knew they had just flashed the PCM instead of replacing. So when it came time to give it to em a second time I told them, from everything I have read and how the truck acts, the PCM needs to be replaced and not just flashed. How sweet it was to hear them to have told the other dealership its the PCM only to have them ignore it.

So the update is, the used dealer ship, if they had listed to me when I told em about the 200 flashed to vin refurb PCM, wouldnt be out nearly 2500 and Id of had my truck back long long ago. As it is, my new PCM will not be here till mid next week. SOOOOO am hoping by Friday but am not holding my breath. I just WANT MY TRUCK!!! I was just being to enjoy her.
GOD MIGHTY, These people cannot fix anything. Amazing, I wonder where the hell these dealerships and transmission shops hire people from. This amount of time spent I could of fully restored your truck from top to bottom. Well I certainly hope they can figure out how to fix it before the truck rusts away!

Anyways seriously hope you get it back soon so you can enjoy it, I am upset though that you had to drive in a crap loner car and how they really haven't been keeping you up to date with the progress.

Don't feel bad about 2500 bucks, I am setting up a project and well I need 5 grand for engine parts, and about an extra 2000 bucks to re-upgrade my transmission for the new engine, the stock shafts cannot handle 420 HP so 800 for input shaft, 600 for intermediate shaft, and so on. Of course this is going to be handled over the course of years because I'm just a broke high school student soon to be college student. BUT GOOD NEWS IS, Embry Riddle the college I'm applying to has a full machine shop open to the students, all you have to do is supply them with the material and they will make anything so what I will probably do is buy 300M or 4340 stock and bring in a intermediate shaft and have them duplicate it for me, and best of all they do it for free with state of the art equipment and I can probably purchase the 300M from the school because it's used in lading gear manufacture so TADA!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 AM

That would be nice to have available Am not going to even think about any upgrades till I have my truck back in my driveway
Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
That would be nice to have available Am not going to even think about any upgrades till I have my truck back in my driveway
Yea it certainly will be nice to have, machine people are expensive. But yea I have myself a project all written out but I imagine it's going to take me YEARS being broke and all. Anyways I wish you get your truck back soon.