DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: pespective owner of 2007 ram
Rep:10
adicus8 is on a distinguished road
Default 5.7L longevity

Hello everyone,

New guy here.

I found a really awesome 2007 ram with 5.7L hemi for sale. It is a 1500 megacab with a small lift and some more aggressive tires. It has close to 100,000 miles on it though. I was wondering how long on average this truck should run before needing any big repairs (engine, trans etc) Is 20k a decent price for this truck?

Feel free to look at this beauty and share some wisdom about it. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTO...t_35414wt_1181
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

From a technicians perspective, I can tell you that in over 6 years at a Chrysler dealership, I have not seen a Hemi engine replaced where the cause wasn't directly related to something the owner did or neglected to do. If properly maintained, the durability of these engines is excellent.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Alright cool, ya the hemi seems like a pretty bullet-proof engine. How about the trans? how long are those usually good for?
Thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

bump... Anyone got some wisdom on this setup?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 RCSB 4X4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:173
Unfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura aboutUnfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura about

These transmissions have been pretty much the same since 2002. They are reliable and have lots of miles on them to prove that.
MODS- QTP Exhaust Cutout, ARH Long-tube Headers, HornBlasters Train Horn, HemiFever Tuned, Linex bedliner, Painted mirrors and door handles, 14" magnaflow muffler, Cabin air filter, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Black 17" Sport Edition TK5 Wheels, K&N CAI, BT Catch can, 85mm Throttle body, Upper glovebox Mod, Recon Black Projector headlights, Retroshops- Tinted LED Tails including 3rd brake.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

alright, thanks. What kind of problems are you guys running into with this motor and trans and at what millage? Im just trying to decide if this truck is going to start nickel and dimming me and if there will be any major problems...
Old 10-13-2012, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

I 100% completely agree with RamTech; in that it all depends on the required maintenance that was or was not performed as well as the abuse or misuse of the engine and transmission. Now, you mentioned this 3/4 ton Ram has a small lift kit on it so, questions can arise from this. Did he do much offroading or suspension articulation with this lift? Burnouts, overloaded payload, towing heavy often? My point is this; You have to be willing to accept that any vehicle with any type of aftermarket upgrade from it's Originally Equipped state from the manufacturer has been driven hard and possibly beyond it's capabilities and therefore may require some upkeep or repair sooner or later. Especially when a vehicle has racing stripes anywhere on it like this Hemi does. For 20K, you are in close range of driving off the lot in a brand new 2012 Regular Cab Short Bed Express or a brand new 2012 2500 4x4 ST CC for 31K. Just some things to think about bud and to put it in perspective.

Last edited by Gantman; 10-13-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: RED
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
rc14 is on a distinguished road

Ok guys i am new here and joined to look up a little issue that has come up with my truck nothing big. As far as longevity goes i must say the 03 1500 5.7 is the best truck i have ever had. She has 260,000 miles and climbing with no big issues at all. alternater, front wheel bearings no big problems at all. I have done all the oil changes with mobil 1 and dodge filters, trans fluid filter changes mopar oil and filters. and to date no oil usage at all 7 qts out 7 qts in.
how ever i have been having a little issue with the trany not wanting to down shift at red lights only when its cold once warmed up its fine.

but yes very good truck and i will buy another once wife gets back to work. LOL
Old 10-14-2012, 10:58 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc14 View Post
Ok guys i am new here and joined to look up a little issue that has come up with my truck nothing big. As far as longevity goes i must say the 03 1500 5.7 is the best truck i have ever had. She has 260,000 miles and climbing with no big issues at all. alternater, front wheel bearings no big problems at all. I have done all the oil changes with mobil 1 and dodge filters, trans fluid filter changes mopar oil and filters. and to date no oil usage at all 7 qts out 7 qts in.
how ever i have been having a little issue with the trany not wanting to down shift at red lights only when its cold once warmed up its fine.

but yes very good truck and i will buy another once wife gets back to work. LOL
Woo hoo 03's! How cold is it where you are? These electronic transmissions are designed to operate at a certain temp range. If not, are you getting any codes?

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicus8 View Post
Hello everyone,

New guy here.

I found a really awesome 2007 ram with 5.7L hemi for sale. It is a 1500 megacab with a small lift and some more aggressive tires. It has close to 100,000 miles on it though. I was wondering how long on average this truck should run before needing any big repairs (engine, trans etc) Is 20k a decent price for this truck?

Feel free to look at this beauty and share some wisdom about it. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTO...t_35414wt_1181
here is my take on it, the stripes and lift make me leary simply because I look at this truck and see a young wild boy runnin it through mud pits with his buddies and/or hooking it up to his buddies GMC bumper to bumper and dragging each other around...well maybe not that extreme.
I would look at what my finances were and depending on that I would either look for a more stock truck if i had no personal hisory on it (always ask for maintenane records on the vehicle), or buy new for a small amount more. The new 2012 QC Express trucks are flying off the lots right now for short money. At least take a look at them, then you know exacvtly what your getting an how it will be treated and maintained.