DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4.7L
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
Pjd71 is on a distinguished road
Default Truck Periodically Hesitates and Burning Oil

I bought a used Dodge Ram in July with 46,000 miles on it. Dealer said that the previous owner used it to tow and that he needed something bigger to tow bigger loads.

Symptoms:

-Noticed that truck will periodically hesitate after driving a hour going up to higher speeds usually above 40 MPH. With the hesitation, the RPM's go up, but no speed increase. Will then back fire with a smoke. Usually a nice amount.

-Coolant levels are fine and noticed oil was burning. After 3000 miles 46,000 to 49,000 miles, I checked the oil and it was well below the add mark on dipstick (truck is not leaking oil on ground).

-After truck has been run for a while and when restarting, sometimes a puff of smoke comes out of exhaust.

What I have done:

Seafoamed the through intake and put in with gas (what can recommended).

Any help with troubleshooting will be greatly appreciated and I am handy with doing the work myself (for the most part).

2009 Dodge Ram
4.7 L Flex Fuel (use 87 octane)
Mileage 50,000
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Let us know how you make out and please keep us updated......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Burgundy
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Tdog93 is on a distinguished road

Interesting...
My Hemi will occasionally puff of warm startups but I never have to add oil between changes with Mobil 1 full syn.... Also has 170,000 miles on the clock so I geuss it's to be expected.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjd71 View Post
I bought a used Dodge Ram in July with 46,000 miles on it. Dealer said that the previous owner used it to tow and that he needed something bigger to tow bigger loads.

Symptoms:

-Noticed that truck will periodically hesitate after driving a hour going up to higher speeds usually above 40 MPH. With the hesitation, the RPM's go up, but no speed increase. Will then back fire with a smoke. Usually a nice amount.

-Coolant levels are fine and noticed oil was burning. After 3000 miles 46,000 to 49,000 miles, I checked the oil and it was well below the add mark on dipstick (truck is not leaking oil on ground).

-After truck has been run for a while and when restarting, sometimes a puff of smoke comes out of exhaust.

What I have done:

Seafoamed the through intake and put in with gas (what can recommended).

Any help with troubleshooting will be greatly appreciated and I am handy with doing the work myself (for the most part).

2009 Dodge Ram
4.7 L Flex Fuel (use 87 octane)
Mileage 50,000
Not good. I am thinking because he used it to tow, and realized he needed something bigger, he probably towed too much with it. I am guessing you have a blown piston ring or 2, requiring an engine tear down or rebuild. Its the only thing I can think of that would cause enough loss of compression to backfire. Also would be causing your smoke. Anytime a fuel injected engine backfires, something is DEFINATELY wrong.

Get it to a dealer/mechanic ASAP depending on build date it might still be under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog93 View Post
Interesting...
My Hemi will occasionally puff of warm startups but I never have to add oil between changes with Mobil 1 full syn.... Also has 170,000 miles on the clock so I geuss it's to be expected.
Smoke on startup could be valve seals in the heads, or it could be simply oil in the intake/PVC system.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

damn, your above the 36,000 mile mark
did they give you any warranty that you could fall back on ?
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM
US Army Retired

ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
damn, your above the 36,000 mile mark
did they give you any warranty that you could fall back on ?
Shouldnt matter, its definately powertrain related, as such should fall under the 5/60 powertrain that the 09's reverted to if they were sold because the lifetime warranty went away.

My 09 had to have some work done under the powertrain warranty 5/60. I bought it used. DONT WAIT! Have it towed immediately or drive it if you can....but I would reccommend the former.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Shouldnt matter, its definately powertrain related, as such should fall under the 5/60 powertrain that the 09's reverted to if they were sold because the lifetime warranty went away.

My 09 had to have some work done under the powertrain warranty 5/60. I bought it used. DONT WAIT! Have it towed immediately or drive it if you can....but I would reccommend the former.
You must have gotten lucky because in 09 they only offered lifetime powertrain warranty to the first owner and that's it. Non-transferable...or that is how it was explained to me.

I don't think any owners after the 1st get the warranty.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 PM
US Army Retired

It was explained to me that 2nd owners get the 5/60 from the date the truck was first registered to the original owner.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

Could the two things not be related perhaps? Perhaps the backfiring is a bad coil or is otherwise ignition related? I'm assuming that it's not throwing any codes right? How much oil exactly did it use? My 5.7 uses a little between changes - always has. Not a lot - but enough to notice. I'll get a slight puff of smoke once in a while when I start it. Just suggesting that the two issues might not be related....

Last fuel injected engine I had that popped/backfired was my Grand National, and that was a coil pack problem, so just suggesting that it might not be the end of the world for it to backfire - might be ignition related, and then the other issue might be something entirely separate.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:07 PM
US Army Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbovsix View Post
Could the two things not be related perhaps? Perhaps the backfiring is a bad coil or is otherwise ignition related? I'm assuming that it's not throwing any codes right? How much oil exactly did it use? My 5.7 uses a little between changes - always has. Not a lot - but enough to notice. I'll get a slight puff of smoke once in a while when I start it. Just suggesting that the two issues might not be related....

Last fuel injected engine I had that popped/backfired was my Grand National, and that was a coil pack problem, so just suggesting that it might not be the end of the world for it to backfire - might be ignition related, and then the other issue might be something entirely separate.
It almost has to be compression related. Anything related to the ignition system would throw a code. Each individual coil pack is designed to fire within certain parameters. Firing early/late or with a spark that is too powerful or not powerful enough, or not firing at all will result in a code being thrown and a CEL. It could be 2 separate issues, but then you run into the code thing again. 98.5% of the time something is wrong with a 4th gen, it will throw a code. The other times, there are only a couple of real possibilities.

If its smoking/not running right/backfiring its got a loss of compression in one or more cylinders more than likely. ESPECIALLY if there is no code. A surefire way to tell is to do a compression-test on each cylinder.