DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Kris Hearn is on a distinguished road
Default 07 6inch rcx lift questions

I just signed up for the forum so bare with me on this lol.

I am about to buy a lift and tires for my 07 hemi ram 1500 sport edition 4x4 but got some questions i can find answers to. I have generally narrowed it down to rough countries 6 inch. I managed to convince my girlfriend that this was necessary (if u wanna hear the story ill type it below lol) but the main questions are:

1. They recommend a 37/12.5/r20. I would like to go to a smaller rim for cheaper tires when they need replacing, plus i like the look having having more tire. However my understanding is that with the stock 20inch rims the smalles i can go is an 18inch rim. Is this true? and also common tires like nitto mud grapplers as far as i can tell only come in 20's or bigger. So should i just bite the bullet and buy some aftermarket 20's (not using my stock one) or is there a good way to lower the rim size?

2. Im not a fan of the flush look so i'd love to run an offset rim or wheel spacers or something but not sure wat to run here. What is recommended?

3.On a 6 inch lift with 37's is it necessary to change gears? I was gonna keep the stock gears cuz they never mentioned needing to change them on rough countries website, and i dont really wanna have to spend the money to do so. I will be towing a camper so i dont wanna mess up my tranny. also with that question im gonna buy a fifth wheel camper do u think imma have to lift my camper too lol?

Now for the story:

My girlfriend basically drove my truck off a small cliff and somehow magically everything survived except my tires. She put a huge bulge in at least two of the tires so off the road it came. We couldnt afford tires at the time so instead we drove her 1992 ford f150 4x4 for a while which i bought her for 200 bucks. Any ways i said since its gonna be 1500 buck for 4 new tires anyways i might as well buy a lift and 37's cuz we will be saving money rather than buying 2 sets, one now and one in a year or so when i get my lift. So she agreed. So the truck sat in lay up for about a year and then finally we came into some money form the sale of our house. So now i get my truck back. Ive almost got her sold on a magnaflow cat back exhaust but its gonna take a while.
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Let us know how you make out and please keep us updated......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Hearn View Post
I just signed up for the forum so bare with me on this lol.

I am about to buy a lift and tires for my 07 hemi ram 1500 sport edition 4x4 but got some questions i can find answers to. I have generally narrowed it down to rough countries 6 inch. I managed to convince my girlfriend that this was necessary (if u wanna hear the story ill type it below lol) but the main questions are:

1. They recommend a 37/12.5/r20. I would like to go to a smaller rim for cheaper tires when they need replacing, plus i like the look having having more tire. However my understanding is that with the stock 20inch rims the smalles i can go is an 18inch rim. Is this true? and also common tires like nitto mud grapplers as far as i can tell only come in 20's or bigger. So should i just bite the bullet and buy some aftermarket 20's (not using my stock one) or is there a good way to lower the rim size?

2. I'm not a fan of the flush look so i'd love to run an offset rim or wheel spacers or something but not sure wat to run here. What is recommended?

3.On a 6 inch lift with 37's is it necessary to change gears? I was gonna keep the stock gears cuz they never mentioned needing to change them on rough countries website, and i font really wanna have to spend the money to do so. I will be towing a camper so i don't wanna mess up my tranny. also with that question i'm gonna buy a fifth wheel camper do u think imma have to lift my camper too lol?

Now for the story:

My girlfriend basically drove my truck off a small cliff and somehow magically everything survived except my tires. She put a huge bulge in at least two of the tires so off the road it came. We couldnt afford tires at the time so instead we drove her 1992 ford f150 4x4 for a while which i bought her for 200 bucks. Any ways i said since its gonna be 1500 buck for 4 new tires anyways i might as well buy a lift and 37's cuz we will be saving money rather than buying 2 sets, one now and one in a year or so when i get my lift. So she agreed. So the truck sat in lay up for about a year and then finally we came into some money form the sale of our house. So now i get my truck back. Ive almost got her sold on a magnaflow cat back exhaust but its gonna take a while.
changing gears is not necessary if you run stock gears you will notice you don't have as much pick up and go from 0-50ish mph, so i wouldn't fret on this, chances are if its an 07 you likely already have 4.10 gears so yo should be fine(everyone i know with 06-08 rams have 4.10's)

i would highly reccomend staying away from the wheel spacer aproach unless it is only going to be very temporary (remember when running spacers it is not recomended that you go off road and i probably wouldnt pull anything to heavy with them either, when you use them you will be putting alot of extra stress on your lugs.

i would also just buckle down by a nice set of aftermarket wheels -12mm to -24mm. if you go with 18's you will save roughly 80$ per corner so what is that like 320$ total, i purchased these wheels http://www.elementwheels.com/proddet...prod=xd123210b for less than 1000$ delivered, if i wanted to go with 18's it would have saved me about 20$ per wheels and 40$per tire, i did not order the wheels offline as i was able to find them alot cheaper at local wheels shops, the tires i did order offline i got 37x12.5x20's nitto dune grapplers, and also a set of trail grapplers and both were around $325 per tire. 37x12.5x18's were around 285$ per tire, so yes its a little cheaper to rock the 18's but 20's are becoming more and more popular and i found some manufactures 18" wheel actually cost more than there 20", i haven't seen this as far as tires go yet, but it will come sooner or later.

Congrats on the lift, post up many pics when you get her done

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!