DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:357
crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice
Default radio antenna reception on a sundance spa

i have a sundance spa with a fm/cd/ipod receiver witch is a car/boat receiver and the radio reception is just okay

i was wondering if it is possible to ad something between the radio and antenna to get better reception

or if any of you now a very good antenna(car,boat or house), one that has very good reception

thanks everyone
Old 10-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:57
Gibbonboy will become famous soon enough

You could buy an antenna amplifier, might be better off just getting a better antenna. Is this outdoors? Terk makes a lot of indoor antennas, not sure how well they work. Check Amazon for antennas, a lot will depend on how/where you're going to mount it. Automotive antennas are generally designed to operate with a metal ground plane, like the sheet metal in the vehicle. I used to live in a very poor reception area, I had one like this:

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-an...x#.UIGrsG_A96A

Now I generally make my own antennas. I can customize them to the location where I'm putting them so they're less obtrusive. Just keep in mind that smaller antennas are always a compromise, comparing apples to apples, size does matter for antennas. Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 PM

crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbonboy View Post
You could buy an antenna amplifier, might be better off just getting a better antenna. Is this outdoors? Terk makes a lot of indoor antennas, not sure how well they work. Check Amazon for antennas, a lot will depend on how/where you're going to mount it. Automotive antennas are generally designed to operate with a metal ground plane, like the sheet metal in the vehicle. I used to live in a very poor reception area, I had one like this:

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-an...x#.UIGrsG_A96A

Now I generally make my own antennas. I can customize them to the location where I'm putting them so they're less obtrusive. Just keep in mind that smaller antennas are always a compromise, comparing apples to apples, size does matter for antennas. Hope this helps.
thanks

yes this is a outside spa

did this new ccrane antenna gave you better reception?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

what is the Brand of the radio receiver
it does make a difference
is the radio mounted in the hot tub? or just close ?

there are things that can be added to the radio to boost or amplify the signal range
like a 50 watt linear, these may be considered illegal

another good option is to set a 20 foot pole into the ground & put a good antenna on the top of it & run the antenna cable over to it, or just put the antenna on your roof
This type of antenna is called a BASE MOUNT ANTENNA

a word of caution, when you set up a CB Base Station & set up the proper antenna for it, it quickly becomes addicting, then the MODs start
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
what is the Brand of the radio receiver
it does make a difference
is the radio mounted in the hot tub? or just close ?

there are things that can be added to the radio to boost or amplify the signal range
like a 50 watt linear, these may be considered illegal

another good option is to set a 20 foot pole into the ground & put a good antenna on the top of it & run the antenna cable over to it, or just put the antenna on your roof
This type of antenna is called a BASE MOUNT ANTENNA

a word of caution, when you set up a CB Base Station & set up the proper antenna for it, it quickly becomes addicting, then the MODs start
lol

the radio is mounted in the hot tub but i dont remember the brand,
i'll look and post back on monday when i'll be back to work,.

thanks for the help

i'll probably try buying a good antena and get it on top of my gazebo
Old 10-20-2012, 02:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

The C Crane FM antenna gets phenomenal reception, if you're not in a "fringe" area, it can be too much, you'll get multiple stations on frequency. Also, it has an "F" connector, most automotive radios have a "Motorola" connector, so you'd need an adapter.

Receive amplifiers are perfectly legal as long as they conform to FCC Part 15, which will be 99.9% of purchased electronics. Anything that transmits is more strictly regulated, you won't need to worry about that in your case.

Find the best outdoor-rated antenna you can afford, put it as high as you can, keep it in the clear away from large metal objects (and powerlines!), you'll be golden.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbonboy View Post
The C Crane FM antenna gets phenomenal reception, if you're not in a "fringe" area, it can be too much, you'll get multiple stations on frequency. Also, it has an "F" connector, most automotive radios have a "Motorola" connector, so you'd need an adapter.

Receive amplifiers are perfectly legal as long as they conform to FCC Part 15, which will be 99.9% of purchased electronics. Anything that transmits is more strictly regulated, you won't need to worry about that in your case.

Find the best outdoor-rated antenna you can afford, put it as high as you can, keep it in the clear away from large metal objects (and powerlines!), you'll be golden.
that maybe my problem, my gazebo is made of metal so i'll try to get my new antenna away from it
Old 10-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

If the roof is all metal, you might get good results with an automotive antenna, as long as it's mounted right to the roof, and no part of it is below the edge. The metal roof will act as a pretty good ground plane. Otherwise, high as you can and away from metal.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

^^ ^^

If the gazebo has a metal roof, it will make a good ground plane which is what an automotive 'Needs' to function. Gibbonboy knows want he's talking about here.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI