DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 CC 5'7" Rambox
Trim Level: Longhorn/8 Speed/Air
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
Ford Apostate is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I had a brain lock. I typed Jeep and Wrangler was the next thing that followed. I meant Grand Cherokee.
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

I really don't know. But I've had an IFS Lexus 470 with push button height control for 10 years now, my Wife has been driving an IFS Denali with air ride for 8 years, no abnormal tire wear on either of them.

We're only talking about a 1" lowering under conditions where abnormal tire wear due to alignment geometry might even be a concern. Obviously the parked position is a non-issue. And for me, if I'm using the offroad settings, which I certainly will, I can guarantee you I'm already causing lots of abnormal tire wear that has nothing to do with alignment geometry.

If anything, I think the self leveling keeps the front end geometry MORE stable under varying load conditions leading to MORE uniform tire wear.

I'm just not worried about it...

Not worried about the robustness of the system, either. Like I said, we have two factory equipped air ride vehicles in the garage already, two of the oldest vehicles we own, never had the slightest hiccup out of them. Air ride suspension is very mature tech, nothing new. It's just new on the Ram 1500. Heck, now that I think about it, my '91 Crown Vic had self leveling air ride in the rear. That was more than 20 years ago. Never had a problem with it, either.

But even if something does go wrong, out of warranty, air ride systems are dirt simple to troubleshoot and repair. All my experience with air ride problems has been with aftermarket, but I can't imagine the factory systems could be much more complex. There just isn't much to them. Air source, lines, bags, sensors, controller, wiring. That's pretty much it and the couple times I've worked on aftermarket systems they have been dead easy to troubleshoot and repair.

Just don't see what the big deal is. Air ride is what it is, no mystery, and I'd like to have it as a factory installed option on my half ton. Not trying to talk anyone else into anything though.

- DAA
Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

With double wishbone suspension the tire pretty much stays perfectly flat through the entire travel, so no abnormal tire wear with ride height changes...

double wishbone:

macpherson strut(used by most cars other than trucks and well designed sport cars):

double wishbone is far superior in terms of tire alignment and handling, but a little more complex.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 10-16-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Apostate View Post
Sorry, I had a brain lock. I typed Jeep and Wrangler was the next thing that followed. I meant Grand Cherokee.
I should have guessed that is what you meant. I rode in an air ride equipped 2012 GC less than a week ago.

- DAA
Old 10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

I'm curious to know whether one can use the air suspension system to raise the truck to the maximum ground clearance setting (4x4 off road) and keep that position in place when you turn the ignition off--this would make changing the oil so much easier.

I can find no details anywhere on this. Anyone have a clue, or must we wait for a few test subjects?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseMan View Post
I'm curious to know whether one can use the air suspension system to raise the truck to the maximum ground clearance setting (4x4 off road) and keep that position in place when you turn the ignition off--this would make changing the oil so much easier.

I can find no details anywhere on this. Anyone have a clue, or must we wait for a few test subjects?
Just for the sake of safety I don't see that being an option.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

The only issue is if they use cheap parts. Air ride has been used successfully for years in semi trucks.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: Ram 1500 2013?
Rep:12
njcoons is on a distinguished road

It would be great to know if you could lower the car all the way down to maneuver into parking garages with height clearance issues...
Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman View Post
Just had a thought... how do they account for alignment when the suspension changes height? Do they not? Which would = rapid tire wear? Cause the norm is any time you do a level kit in a regular IFS pickup, you have to immediately get an alignment to correct your toe in to compensate for the distance between the steering knuckle and rack being greater but the tie rod being the same length... Its just a thought but Im interested in how they account for this
That is a very valid question.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
That is a very valid question.
As said above, with double wishbone suspensions this is pretty much a non issue. The tire doesn't hardly change angle at all through travel. I posted a video above, not the best but what I found on google quickly...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.