DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Rambalam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostR1der View Post
I agree with crappy shop. That's one thing I am fortunate about having a good exhaust guy. They do try and push flowmaster on everyone but I think that's what they get supplied with. I got my 14 Magnaflow and the Y-pipe installed for under 40 bucks lol.
I'm looking to do the same on my truck. I was going to get the Mufflex but I'd rather get a Y and still have $100 in my pocket. Do you have the part #'s for the muffler and Y? Is it just a 3" Y and 3" single in/2.5" dual out? I know there is a necessary bend in at least one of the extension pipes to fill the gap, and you said there are some bends for the Y as well. Did you get these mandrel bent? Thanks in advance for the info
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: QC Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Blue Pearl/Mineral Grey
RAT ATK is on a distinguished road

On my 2000 Tahoe had Edelbrock stainless shorty headers. Total crap fit and finish. They were leakers. Switched to JBA shorties and they were great. Much better product in every way.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:20
gopackgo69 is on a distinguished road

That muffler is a dynomax vt, I sent it back after a week of it being on. Sure it sounded better, than stock, but not by much. Then that valve started ticking slighty.

I went with a hooker aero, way better.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Klus01 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm not too sure why buddy showed me that Dynomax.. I went in there asking about a magnaflow. hah. At any rate, it seemed like a bit of an odd concept to me.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klus01 View Post
I popped by a local exhaust shop after work today in hopes of getting some pricing on a few mods.. I kind of left with impression the guy really wasnt interested in doing any work, as he seemed to try to talk me out of everything I was wanting some info on... Just wanted some guys who have done these mods to weigh in on some of the things I was told.

First thing I asked about was replacing the factory Y-pipe with a Magnaflow Y. His response... "you really dont want to do that, I can gaurentee there is probably an O2 sensor in there, and if something happens to it and your fuel runs too lean you're gonna be looking at a $10,000 bill for a new hemi..."

...really.

"gaurentee there is probably" leads me to believe that he has little to no knowledge on the situation, haha.

Then i inquired about some JBA headers... "oh man, like 80% of the time headers leak like crazy, and its a nightmare... plus an engine like yours wont get any benifets from it"

I told him that I have a K&N intake, but what comes in must go out... just looking to free up the flow a little..

Then I asked about a Magnaflow Cat-back system, and he proceeded to show me some random muffler (just the muffler, nothing else) that has some sort of flippy floppy in it that keeps everything quiet until you go WOT. "Then it gets real loud." he explains.

mmmhmmm. not exactly what I was looking for.

so, has anyone had leaky headers that do absolutely nothing for performance? and completely fried engines because of a Y-pipe swap?? I have a feeling im going to be checking out a couple different shops. hah.
This guy really sounds like he has no clue whatsoever. Probably an O2 sensor in there it would be quite obvious looking at it, they are not hidden inside. If it were to run lean the check engine light would come on long before you would need $10,000 in repairs. Go somewhere else.