DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Economy
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Goatboy is on a distinguished road
Default Air intake 01 Ram 1500 question

Now that I have my truck back I am enjoying looking her over in more detail and getting know her better. One of my to do's is to replace the air intake. The stock one is total crap and as with most, the back clips broke off when I tried to change the filter. So currently its being held closed by the 3 clamps in front and tape wrapped around the whole thing. Anyways I got to looking at whole thing and noticed that where the black plastic flexible tube clicks into the metal side wall of the engine bay, is pretty much the end of any kind of a real air flow channel. What it looks like is that the intake is behind the head light... Is that right? If so how can that even work? There is minimal clearance around the light, bumper below and fender above. So here is my question:

To the left of the radiator there is a black plastic piece blocking off things from getting into the engine area. Being an HVAC guy, I could so easily fab duct work through that black plastic and dying into the black flexible tube. Making it get a ton more air. Question is, if I do this and give it a ton more air, is there anything else I need to adjust? Or anything else I should be taking into account. Thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: blue
Rep:10
MY1stRAM is on a distinguished road

your mass air flow sensor should detect and adjust the fuel for the amount of air entering the only need you would have to adjust anything else is if there was so much air being pushed in that you were maxing out your injectors and running it lean but with a naturally aspirated engine with what your talking about you would have a hard time maxing out even factory injectors
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:13
FDRam01 is on a distinguished road

A cold air intake will really wake up your truck. I put the specter intake on my truck as well as moving the IAT sensor into the intake tube. You'll have to get a .25" NPT plug to put into the intake where the sensor was. Also these truck have NO Mass air flow sensor it is a Map sensor. Big difference in how the air is measured. Also the injectors will support a CAI with out any problems. Believe it or not guys run these injectors with highly modded engines with out upgrading .

Last edited by FDRam01; 10-17-2012 at 09:03 PM.